shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on price...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

danoodle

Rough_Rock
Sorry to ask a price question as my first post, but I would like some opinions on a quote. $3300 for a round excellent cut, .75, H, SI1. This includes the setting 14k white gold and has a GIA certificate. Seems as if some online "wholesalers" may be cheaper, but am not sure about the legitimacy of ordering online. Is the price too high? If anyone knows of some reputable online stores that would be great too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need the table %, depth, crown angle and pavilion angle to determine the cut on it and to find
stones with like cost. These values can be found on the GIA certficate. Do you know the price
of the setting? Is it just a plain 14k white gold setting (no diamonds)?

danoodle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have table % - 57
depth - 52.3
crown angle - 34.5
crown % - 15
pavilion angle - 41.4
pavilion % - 44

She said $3300 includes the GIA cert, appraisal, warranty, cleaning kit, and magnification thingy. Also the diamond is laser inscribed with the GIA number if that means anything. It is a diamond solitaire only. Thanks for your input! :)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
the price isn''t great and neither is cut. the stone will probably show leakage.

here''s an example of an ideal cut stone from Whiteflash. it''s an H, VS2, $2,821 with the PS discount link
a simple 4 or 6 prong in white gold is $250 which totals less than what your jeweler is charging.

I understand if you don''t mind paying extra just to be able to see what you''re getting, but as far as getting a deal? for that stone, no. I don''t think so.

danoodle

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the response elle, she's trying to tell me that since it is excellent cut from GIA it's so good and amazing. Was hesitant to give the specs and with your response I see why. Maybe I can haggle her down to 3k...If anyone else has any input I would gladly consider it. Thanks all!

bowral1

Rough_Rock

I think you can find a much better diamond online. This isn’t a very good diamond. Why would you buy from someone who isn’t being honest with you? The diamond doesn’t look like an excellent cut. Is this an engagement ring? I encourage you to research this site a bit more and the vendors on here who have RAVE reviews. If this is an engagement ring why would you be haggling? The price of the diamond shouldn’t change. Either you are getting a good deal or you aren’t.

Save you and your girlfriend some heartache and buy from a reputable dealer. Otherwise you might end up regretting it.

bowral1

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash, Good as Gold, Excel, etc. Blue Nile drop ships so you probably don’t want to go with them. Look around the site and read up on these vendors search their inventory. I can understand you being nervous buying online. I was the same way but the more I looked on this site the more I was convinced that I HAD to buy online. Plus once I saw the ring I knew it was the right choice, I had it appraised and it appraised much higher than we paid. The guys on here are experts at what they do, they can help you find a diamond that sparkles! Cut is the most important C too, remember that . . . . cut includes table, depth, pavilion, etc. So know those optimal specs for the best cut. Which are also on this site.

danoodle

Rough_Rock
Wow bowral1, I appreciate the honest input. It is for an engagement ring and we went into a store kinda on a whim for fun. I am fortunate that she actually doesn''t like jewelry, and said this would be the only piece I would ever have to buy her. She said she doesn''t want a very big one either...I do want to make a good purchase and will do further research on this site as well as receive input from others on here.

Only reason I asked is that my friend said it was a decent deal comparing it to his purchase, but I think he got screwed! .75, G, VS2, let''s assume excellent cut and platinum setting for 5k! Thanks again for the input! :)

bowral1

Rough_Rock
Sorry Dandoodle if I was harsh . . . . but I there A LOT of posts on here of unhappy people who got ripped off when they didn’t do their research and bought from some one that wasn’t reputable. THEN they found this site and posted and realized how much about diamonds they didn’t know. If you are going to spend thousands of dollars on something your wife will wear for the rest of her life; you are going to want to know that you got a good diamond for the right price. There are all sorts of tutorials and posts that can be very educational. I rented books from the library, researched online, etc. Once you do that you will feel comfortable with your purchase and also be educated as to what a actually is a good/ideal diamond. For example can you review the ASET images on this diamond?

Platinum is very expensive and the ring you asked about is only 14K gold. His diamond could be a Hearts and Arrows diamond. An ideal cut diamond will cost ya

I am not saying this person is ripping you off (but if they were hesitant to give you the GIA cert, bad sign), or this diamond is a horrible purchase but you don’t want to throw away 3000 dollars so understand your diamond facts before purchasing.

Look under the sites “Tools” tab

Good luck and don’t hesitate to ask, just make sure you give us all the facts about the diamond. Cut, color, carat . . ..isn’t going to cut it. Ha ha Cut involves many aspects in which you will learn before you buy ;-)

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 6:25:12 PM
Author: danoodle
Appreciate the response elle, she''s trying to tell me that since it is excellent cut from GIA it''s so good and amazing. Was hesitant to give the specs and with your response I see why. Maybe I can haggle her down to 3k...If anyone else has any input I would gladly consider it. Thanks all!
Even cutting the price in half won''t improve the quality of the diamond! No reason you should not get the very best you can for your hard earned money!

Before finding Pricescope I bought a 2.47ct for what I thought was a very good price. Wound up spending even more to have the stone recut to an amazing 2.10ct. All told, I did not get a bargain, should have bought a nice 2ct to start and could have avoided all the aggravation. Listen to the advice of the fine folks on this forum, they will steer you in the right direction!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2009 5:21:30 PM
Author: danoodle
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have table % - 57
depth - 52.3
crown angle - 34.5
crown % - 15
pavilion angle - 41.4
pavilion % - 44

She said $3300 includes the GIA cert, appraisal, warranty, cleaning kit, and magnification thingy. Also the diamond is laser inscribed with the GIA number if that means anything. It is a diamond solitaire only. Thanks for your input! :)
you mean 62.3%,right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results