shape
carat
color
clarity

Open-air urinal opens at San Francisco park

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Thought this was interesting considering the recent discussions regarding public restrooms. :wavey:

Open-air urinal opens at San Francisco park to combat public urination

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-open-air-urinal-san-francisco-20160128-story.html
http://news.yahoo.com/san-francisco-park-reopens-outdoor-urinal-212958140.html

image_4231.jpg

San Francisco's iconic Dolores Park is now home to the city's first open-air urinal, the latest move to combat public urination.

The cement circular urinal is out in the open, though plants and a screen offer some privacy. It's a welcome addition for the park that had just three toilets, which led many to relieve themselves in bushes and on buildings.

The park now features 27 toilets, including the outdoor urinal, thanks to more than $20 million in renovations. They were the park's first upgrades in 60 years. San Francisco Recreation and Park Department spokeswoman Sarah Madland said she wasn't aware of other cities with a public urinal.

San Francisco has a long, sometimes creative, history of dealing with public urination. In 2002, the city increased the fine for the crime up to $500, but that did little to deter it.

Last summer, the city painted close to 30 walls with a repellant that makes urine spray back on the offender, San Francisco Public Works spokeswoman Rachel Gordon said.

Solar-powered toilets roll through city streets several afternoons a week. And city crews have inspected 10,000 light posts to make sure they won't fall over from erosion after a three-story-tall light corroded by a likely mix of human and dog urine, and weighted down by a large banner, toppled.

“Dolores Park has seen an exponential increase in the number of visitors. On a sunny Saturday, it can host between 7,000 and 10,000 people. One of the goals of the renovation was to address the littering and public urination issues that were rampant at the park before the renovation,” Madland said.

Along with the open-air urinal, attendants are staffing 10 public toilets to encourage people to use them. They clean and restock supplies and make sure people don't use drugs or sleep inside the restrooms.

“The more options we can give them to relieve themselves, the better for the park-goers,” San Francisco Supervisor Scott Wiener said. “The better it is for neighbors.”

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks extremely drafty! But maybe nice to get some fresh air circulating where the fresh air don't usually shine! :lol:

About the women's "urinella", now I'm no doctor, but the way we women are constructed I thought that it was best to sit, and sit low, in order to empty the bladder thoroughly, and so risk fewer urinary tract infections.

Hmm. :think:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious about who was/is peeing in the park? Is it just regular guys, visiting the park, who can't hold it long enough to use a restroom?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1454354694|3985217 said:
I'm curious about who was/is peeing in the park? Is it just regular guys, visiting the park, who can't hold it long enough to use a restroom?

All of the articles I've read mention "residents" using the park were urinating all over. :naughty: (Not enough restrooms). I was curious too. :confused: I can't imagine people peeing in the parks to that degree. I read that the maintenance crews even tried painting a pee repellant in areas of the park. :doh:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1454354092|3985212 said:
That looks extremely drafty! But maybe nice to get some fresh air circulating where the fresh air don't usually shine! :lol:

About the women's "urinella", now I'm no doctor, but the way we women are constructed I thought that it was best to sit, and sit low, in order to empty the bladder thoroughly, and so risk fewer urinary tract infections.

Ha! :D Well...hopefully you would only use it on special occasions! :dance:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1454354092|3985212 said:

I don't think the fashion in which urine leaves your body causes the problem; it seems to be how things are dealt with after that can spread bacteria into the urethra. But sitting low is recommended for a more natural and healthy relieving of solid waste! Kenny has posted threads on the "squatty potty" before if you care to search!

Momhappy, in this park there were previously 3 toilets, and the article says that on a typical Saturday anywhere from 7,000-10,000 visitors come to the park. I wouldn't expect to have a party in my home with 40+ guests without allowing them to use more than 1 toilet, so the park's initial ratio did seem pretty low!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume this is primarily for the homeless, and SF has a huge homeless population.
These folks have few places to pee (or poop).

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my mind goes to all of the people who have been arrested for indecent exposure while urinating in the bushes.....

Then I think of the stench...

Then I make a very serious note, "Dolores Park. Don't EVER go there. EVER. EVER!"

Q

Queenie60

I'm assuming that this has been designed for the homeless population in SF which is a huge problem. I have witnessed men urinating on the sidewalks in broad daylight. San Francisco was once a beautiful city and now has become quite trashy in my opinion. It's a shame that the city has spent millions this past month building a Super Bowl attraction - those dollars could have been better spent trying to help the homeless and cleaning up our once beautiful city by the Bay. Shame. :errrr:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1454365512|3985315 said:
my mind goes to all of the people who have been arrested for indecent exposure while urinating in the bushes.....

Then I make a very serious note, "Dolores Park. Don't EVER go there. EVER. EVER!"

House Cat, does this mean you've been 'pissed off'? :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1454357104|3985242 said:
I assume this is primarily for the homeless, and SF has a huge homeless population.
These folks have few places to pee (or poop).

This is exactly what I was wondering. I guess I get it if it's intended for a homeless population, but if it's just park visitors, then you should have the ability to use (or wait) for a restroom like the rest of the population.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many great minds in this country and that ugly urinal (I'm assuming the blurry thing in the middle is a drain?) is the only design the city could come up with? I've seen a lot of urinals throughout cities in Europe that offer more privacy and are connected to the sewer system so they are a bit more sanitary.

http://www.johnchow.com/the-worlds-most-high-tech-urinal/

urinal.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1454367370|3985330 said:
House Cat|1454365512|3985315 said:

House Cat, does this mean you've been 'pissed off'? :bigsmile:
LOL!

On the contrary, I really feel bad for everyone who was arrested.

I'll be ok. I doubt they will ever install open air urinals at Golden Gate Park. :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results