shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal? What kind is it?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I bought this convertible brooch pendant after I found it again at an antique show almost a year ago.

The opal is a replacement stone, based upon the prong work and lack of crazing for the age. But any idea what kind? It's a solid piece, not a doublet. Any ideas?

I didn't buy it for the opal. I won't be upset if it's a bad one. I know nothing of opals. I bought it for the overall piece.

ETA: I think the original stone was probably a rose cut diamond or maybe a colored stone. The center is definitely a replacement.

IMG_20191025_214425_438.jpg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it was a recent replacement, it could be an Ethiopian Welo opal. It sure looks like it. Is the underside just like the top?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@T L it is very similar to the front.

The piece is old. Silver topped gold. The opal is pretty and works, but I wonder what it looked like originally.

The vendors daughter is selling her deceased mom's inventory. Her mom passed in the last 10 years. She doesn't know when it was purchased originally.

IMG_20191025_221744.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it could be an Australian opal as well, but I’ve seen so much jewelry, new and antique, with Welo opals. This is because there’s still plenty of it, and it’s a relatively inexpensive stone at this point in time.

Very pretty piece!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Definitely solid, looks like a crystal body tone going towards white. Slight yellowish line in the back looks like a flaw, so a possible sign of it being natural. I guess the Welo test would be to put it in some water and see if the colourplay disappears, if it does then it's Welo and if it doesn't it could still be Welo and might be Aussie.

If it is a replacement stone then I would guess a Welo for the same reasons @T L gave, especially if you can find out whether the stone was cut to fit the jewelry piece.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh if you do perform the aforementioned water test, the opal will get it’s colorplay back in a few days. Or a simpler test is to wet a small part of the surface, and if it feels sticky as the water dries, it’s probably a welo.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh if you do perform the aforementioned water test, the opal will get it’s colorplay back in a few days. Or a simpler test is to wet a small part of the surface, and if it feels sticky as the water dries, it’s probably a welo.

D'oh, I should have mentioned that!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@T L @jordyonbass thanks!

I was curious and I did the water test with some droplets. I did it on an area with large color flashing.

The drop kind of just sat on the top of the stone and did not really absorb in. if I look closely I can see where the rough outline of the drop was, but it's not sticky at all to the touch. I don't see the appearance changing either or the color play muted.

Reactions: AV_

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it’s a non hydroplane opal then. It could be Aussie.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely looks like a natural opal. Those brown spots on the back could be left over potch.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant non hydrophane, but my phone autocorrected it to non hydroplane. Sorry.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to get a white bowl full of water and sit it in it, that's how you do that test properly, opals were formed in water and they use water to cut & cab them - it's not going to hurt anything, then sit the whole piece on paper towel to dry when you take it out. If the colour disappears it's most likely Welo if it's still there it's more likely to be an Aussie crystal opal probably Lightening Ridge would be my guess by the colour.
Three opals sitting in a white bowl of water;

Attachments

• IMG_7524.JPG
    IMG_7524.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, it’s a very pretty opal regardless of the origin. It’s up to you if you want to do the water test, but imo, it isn’t necessary.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's absolutely lovely whatever it is! Looks like crystal opal to me.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it no matter what it is!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Catmom and @GliderPoss thank you!

I really think it is a lovely piece. I was really happy to find it again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results