shape
carat
color
clarity

Only engaged 2 weeks and i'm about to have a panic attack!!!

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
So it's been a very very long time since I've been on PS. But I'm recently engaged and I am completely overwhelmed by the price of everything! I called the bridal shop to make an appointment, they asked me for my budget, I said $900 (hoping to spend less). They informed me that the average price of a wedding dress is $1700!!!! Holy cheeses!! I started looking at photographers... a good photographer starting price is $3000! where as the not so good photographers are still $1500-1700 starting price. And caterers.... if I had time I'd do my own food, but starting at $21/plate... geeze... I'm looking at at least $6K for just food (we are looking at 300 people, large, LARGE families)!!!

I need help! I'm in the process of hiring a wedding coordinator (present from my parents). My wedding date is 7/15/17, I have my Reception Venue (my Fiancé is a firefighter, so we are using their pavilion)

Any suggestions will help me... I

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Only engaged 2 weeks and i'm about to have a panic attac

Look at secondhand dress websites - I got a dress that retailed for USD$2400 for USD$500 and it was unworn with tags. I used stillwhite.co.nz since I'm in NZ but the dress was in the US. There are quite a few sites like that too. Also look to alternative times for your wedding like a lunchtime or cocktail hour instead of having to do a full dinner if that's an option

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock

One of the nicest small-town weddings I ever went to had a cash bar because that was the local custom. One of my friends lost a $10,000 deposit when her caterer went broke and absconded with their $$$ and that of many other couples. They put together a really nice wedding dinner with pretty paper plates and bamboo cutlery, delicious and copious buffet food, wine and a signature cocktail. I gave my aunt a wedding for 100 people using a friend's big apartment, borrowed silverware, gallons of Cava and an "open bar" that was really hard to find just for the hard-core drinkers. It just depends on what is important to you. My theory is that family and friends love you and don't need to be impressed, as long as there is plenty to eat and drink. Don't shortchange your future for a few hours of partying!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock

And at my niece's wedding, she had three friends who were good photographers and gave her the pictures as a wedding gift. Just a thought.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock

Thanks ladies!!!! I found my dress. And it didn't break the bank (out the door for $731, I already paid for half by doing a craft fair and selling some of my crafting projects I've done the last few months... and plan to pay the other half after my next craft fair in two weeks).

We have asked 2 friends to take photos. Asked his sister to do the ceremony (she is also doubling as a bridesmaid).

I have just a little over 7 months to do all the center pieces and what not (basically all the DIY stuff).

I'm definitely feeling a lot less stressed!!!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had a very small budget when I got married - in looking for a dress, go to as many stores around you that you can find. Discontinued floor samples are often on a very good sale if they fit you - I got mine for $179 and I loved it. If that route doesn't work, go try on dresses you like, and then go to www.preownedweddingdresses.com and see if you can find the dresses you liked there for a cheaper price.

Best wishes and good luck - try to let the process be somewhat fun if you can. It's really stressful, but it's also such an exciting time. :waves:

EDIT: sorry, I didn't realize you found a dress - congratulations!!!

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Certainly do-able but you have to be willing to think beyond the traditional "wedding shop" approach. The entire wedding marque is a market - and priced to what people will pay (or value).

A friend just got married for under $7000US including everything. So it is possible. Dresses can be had on eBay, or second-hand or just a nice white dress "off the rack" if you don't want to buy some something couture with lots of hand-work, lace and beading. My friend paid $150 and jumped into the ocean with it after the ceremony!

Photographers are very personal things. And memories are important. Word of mouth re: a recommendation and having a connection with the style of the photographer you want is important if photos are what you want. Electronic delivery, if you don't want to pay $1000 for an album is certainly an option.

As for caterers - how about a backyard bbq, DIY or even a destination wedding where the cost is cheaper and then tie in the honeymoon?

If you have a wedding wishing well, depending on how generous your friends and family are, guests also help contribute to the cost of the wedding with their gifts.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ThiS post was two years ago. SHeesh

FM

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
LOL. I'm in the same boat. I helped most of my friends plan their weddings (from 15 years ago to just 2 years ago). It seems like prices have skyrocketed. It's really crazy!! I've only booked my venue, caterer, bar, dessert truck, photographer and I'm already way over my budget. I think I'll be lucky if I actually spend double my original budget.

I haven't found a florist yet and I was going to try to do it myself (since I really do want simple flowers anyways), but my friends keep talking me out of it...:boohoo::boohoo:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very old

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results