shape
carat
color
clarity

Online State Tax

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I'm purchasing something online at IDJ and I live in Illinois. My invoice is charging over 8% for sales tax, and I am totally okay with paying it as long as this is not an error. I have never had to pay tax for out of state diamond jewelry, but I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed. I'm having a hard time finding information on this exact situation online, so I figured I would reach out to see if any of you have recently made a similar purchase.

Thanks in advance!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe that new laws regarding online state sales tax collection became effective in January 2019. I purchased a diamond in January and was charged state sales tax in addition to the jewelry's listed price.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I just thought I should double check before I pay. I found some information about an upcoming law in Illinois, and I read about NY residents paying online, but I had trouble finding anything about this specific situation.

I have had a long day, which landed me with a mushy brain tonight. I appreciate your help. :)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many states have now passed Financial Nexus laws. For example, in California, it started as a $100,000 sales limit to create a financial nexus. Then it was raised to $500,000. Illinois, I believe is $100,000. Oklahoma is very jealous of those lost tax dollars, their financial nexus is a low $10,000.

It is complicated to keep track of. Fortunately there are software packages that track these things for us and let us know when we need to sign up and start collecting.

Wink

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to pay tax with them too. I live in WI.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results