shape
carat
color
clarity

One more BC Pill question....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies -

I am recently married and I am wondering about alternate birth control options... I have been on the pill since I was 17 (so almost 9 years now!). I would really like to get off bc, and I am wondering if any of you use alternate bc? Diaphrams, condoms...?? We aren''t ready for children yet - not for another year at least, but I just feel like I would really really like to get off the hormones.

Anyone else out there? Sorry if this is an intrusive question!

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
I''m not much help. I loved being on the pill. I did try the diaphragm but found it quite messy. Good luck.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never used birth control. In the 7 years with FI we''ve always used condoms and nothing else.

But let me tell you...dont get brave if you aren''t planning for a baby so soon
27.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I never had any problem with the pill and enjoyed being on it, but now my dh and I are trying to conceive, and I''m experiencing some cycle irregularity still and it''s been 3 months since I stopped the pill. If you are sure that you aren''t going to be ttc soon or think you will know WAY in advance when you will want to ttc, then the pill might be the easiest solution, but I would strongly suggest stopping the pill 5-6 months before you''d want to ttc.

I never felt comfortable using just condoms, but if you learn the Fertility Awareness Method (through Taking Charge of your Fertility or through a site like fertilityfriend.com and couple that with condoms, it can be quite effective.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 2:02:18 PM
Author: Sabine
I never felt comfortable using just condoms, but if you learn the Fertility Awareness Method (through Taking Charge of your Fertility or through a site like fertilityfriend.com and couple that with condoms, it can be quite effective.

I really suggest you only do this method if you are ok with having a kid though...too much human error for it to really be as effective as other methods IMO.

I really like the nuvaring. I was on that for a few years before I got PG and it was very easy and didn''t cause any of the negative affects a pill did for me.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your responses, I really appreciate it!

I have a gyno appt tomorrow so I can discuss this with her as well. I guess I just wish there was a better method - and being on hormones for 9 years is just stressing me out. I realize there is no evidence (YET!) that being on bc pills can be harmful but I would just feel more comfortable NOT taking a medicine. But, since we aren''t ready for a child - (and I just found out today that my DH will lose his job in december) maybe pills are the best option.

Thanks again ladies!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I also really liked the nuvaring until I stopped hormonal bc all together and as of right now, I don''t plan to ever go back to hormonal bc again.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I really like being on hormonal birth control. If you really don''t want to have a baby, I think it''s one of the best ways to avoid pregnancy. I have had two friends accidentally get pregnant recently while using diaphragms/spermicide, and both swear up and down that they didn''t have any mistakes or mishaps while using them.

I tried Nuvaring for a while, but I experienced a lot of breakthrough bleeding. If it weren''t for that, I would have happily stayed on it. It was so convenient, and it''s a very low dose of hormones (which was the reason it caused breakthrough bleeding for me).

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hey Julesbeth,

You just replied to my thread in Hangout, and I remembered that I started replying to this thread a little while ago and my computer crashed before I posted! So I'll try again, even though you may have decided by now!
1.gif

I had implanon inserted nearly three months ago. It was painless and now there's a teeny red mark on my inner arm (not noticeable unless you're looking for it) and if you press, you can just feel it under the skin. I love this method because I don't have to remember to take the pill every day! I know this isn't "getting off birth control", but it's halfway there because it's just progesterone, not estrogen, so there's none of the risks associated with estrogen (blood clots, breast cancer links etc.)

You can read more about it herehere

Some people have a problem with it because you don't get your period while you're on it, and that freaks some people out! But there's no known problems with that.

An advantage is that if you have any side effects from the implant, it can be removed immediately. That's why I chose it over the three-month injection. I'm v happy with it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I LOVED being on the pill - Yasmin was the last one I was on and it was great.

Sadly I have bad migraine and so they told me to come off it. I switched to Cerazette - a progesterone only pill - and had a horrible time with it. After a good 9 months or so of being told I just needed to give it time, I quit and moved to condoms only.

I was in a position where I didn't want to get pg, but if I did, it wasn't a major problem. If this is your case, could be a good choice.

We threw out the condoms on our wedding night...

I'm not sure what I will do after this baby is born. Anything hormonal is out due to the migraines, so I might try natural. I definitely don't want another for at least 5 years, but my cycle is so clockwork that it might work well for us.

I'm thinking that a baby might be the best contraception - I can't see us getting a lot of nookie in for some time.
31.gif

If you want to TTC in a year or so, then best to come off BCP early so you can make sure your cycle is back to normal.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re not having any side effects with the pill, why not just stay on it for until you TTC. When I went off the pill, it only took me six months to get pregnant.

Good luck w/your appointment. I doubt your obgyn will suggest an IUD, but if so, definetly do not agree to one. I tried two different ones and they were TERRIBLE!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much ladies! I did go to the doc a few weeks ago and she really recommended just STAYING on the pill. She, like you guys, thought I should stay on it UNTIL i am ready for a darling little bundle of joy ;-) And while I might not mind getting pregnant, my husband (who just lost his job) just isn''t ready and I want us both to be on the same page for a decision that big.

Also, I was talking to my friend, who is in Med School, last weekend and he really thinks that hormonal bc is the best way to go as well. He was talking about risks, and rewards and felt that bc pills, nuvaring, depo, etc are the only way to go.

Again, I really appreciate all of your input and just wanted to say how much you all mean to me. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results