shape
carat
color
clarity

On the "lighter" side of news---sapphire blue lobster!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to share something cool I came across this morning, especially since many of the threads are serious at the moment (which is completely fine, just wanted to share something "lighter").

A fisherman in Cape Cod caught an extremely rare blue lobster. The color is beautiful, and I think it's great that they are hoping to keep it in an aquarium so people can admire the color and learn more about these creatures (rather than selling for food, which is of course what they were doing in the first place at fishermen).

I think the color is very close to my "ideal" sapphire blue, which is why I thought of PSers immediately :wavey:

article-lobster-0811.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness it almost looks photoshopped! Just beautiful!!! I hope he is sent somewhere to live out his days and be admired rather than on a plate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1470938431|4064827 said:
Oh my goodness it almost looks photoshopped! Just beautiful!!! I hope he is sent somewhere to live out his days and be admired rather than on a plate.

That's the current plan (according to the article). I totally agree--I hope he can be admired rather than eaten :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cornflower blue with a touch of violet! :love: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.

Is that natural or treated color?
Better send it to AGL!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is some blue! How rare is this?
And I am glad being blue is (hopefully) saving his/her life! Blue is beautiful in more than one way. :appl:
Thank you for sharing this LoveDogs!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1470940811|4064847 said:
Wow, that is some blue! How rare is this?
And I am glad being blue is (hopefully) saving his/her life! Blue is beautiful in more than one way. :appl:
Thank you for sharing this LoveDogs!

Estimates are that this occurs in between 1:1-2million. So pretty darn rare, but those estimates are noted to be a bit out of date. Super neat!

Ooh, found another pic that shows it closer and really highlights the difference between this one and its fellow lobsters. Animals are just SO. COOL.

Bleu.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Amazing and thanks for sharing!!!! I certainly appreciate your "lighter" news topic. It's like a breath of fresh air :D ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is actually the second blue lobster he has caught, I think he caught the other one in 1990.

Call me a tree hugger but I would rather they put him in an aquarium for a set amount of time and then release him back. Better quality of life IMO.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amazing!! So many sea creatures have that same hue of blue and it's just gorgeous, including my beloved Marlin (although they can also show some purple and a hue of green like a Paraiba Tourmaline as well).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if the blues are considered sexy and get lots of mates.

I also wonder if, as kids in school, they are teased for being different.

I think they should get this guy, or gal, into a breeding program and cyro the eggs/sperm.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1470951634|4064917 said:
I wonder if the blues are considered sexy and get lots of mates.

I also wonder if, as kids in school, they are teased for being different.

I think they should get this guy, or gal, into a breeding program and cyro the eggs/sperm.

Haha, too funny, Kenny! :lol:

I agree this guy should def be admired! :love: Too beautiful!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope he's not going in a pot.

I hope he's going back into the sea ALIVE. Or (not my first choice) at least to an aquarium. Poor guy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results