shape
carat
color
clarity

On Pill but no period and pregnancy test says not pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

I am off to see the doctor next week, my lovely GP works part - time. As the title says I have totally missed my period, no nothing iykwim, and am on the pill, microgynon. Have had 2 pregnancy test kits, and all come back as not pregnant..... so what could it be? Any ideas? Can they be wrong? Can the pill mask pregnancy for a overthecounter hormone pregnancy test? I am on the same pill I was always on just swapped from a UK manufacutred one to an austrlian manufactured one, but same name, same company hmmmmm.. confused and my heart is all over the place.

So while I wait, any theories, suggestions....
Thanks ladies.

D2B

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hi D2B! Whatever the outcome, I hope it''s the one that you want!
26.gif

Hmmmmm...when is your cycle due? Pregnancy tests can come back negative if taken too early - it can take some time for the embryo to generate enough HCG hormone to register on a pregnancy test. Also, different pregnancy tests have different sensitivities. Have you taken any other medication like antibiotics? Some medications can decrease the pill''s effectiveness.

I would hold tight until you see the doctor! Best of luck to you!

cara

Ideal_Rock
After a decade on hormonal birth control, I sometimes started not getting a 'period' during my week off meds. Freaked me out the first time, but multiple pregnancy tests said not pregnant and turns out it is fairly normal (to skip periods or get much lighter ones while on the hormonal birth control). Also normal for this response to change somewhat over time.

I don't think the pill will interfere with a pregnancy or a pregnancy test, but it is possible that you are just barely pregnant and too early to get a positive test reading. But if you didn't mess up taking your pill this month, its more likely just a not-pregnant flukey month.

ETA: I'm not familiar with that pill name, but is it the minipill? The one with less hormones but which needs to be taken religiously at the right time of day? If so, it is probably more susceptible to getting pregnant on it than a 'regular' pill, as the regular one is more tolerant of average use.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to hear what people say here because I have been on the pill since I was about 17 years old and am now 32 and have switched pills about 4 times maybe. I have been on Loestrin for 3+ years. I used to get a really light period for about 3 days and then in the past 4 years I have not had a period at all. I used to take pregnancy tests too, but I am very good about taking the pill (never really missed a pill - can swallow without water and I take it in the morning when I put on lipstick (it is in the same draw)), and the pill is 99.9% protective as you know. I have asked my gynos about it (have had 2) and they both said completely normal. It still concerns me. I asked them about being menopausal or pre menopausal and asking if there is a way to test, but they told me there is no test for that. No period joined with my breast issues (very tender, heavy breasts all the time), I really wonder.

If you are good about taking the pill, well, I would say that the chances are slim to none that you are pregnant. Unless you have recently taken antibiotic which defeats the coverage of the pill and you have to use backup protection for the month after you take the antibiotic.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to chime in since this has happened to me. Stress is a factor and can make you miss a period, which my doctor says is normal.

Also merrijoy, I was on LoEstrin and wasn''t getting periods or was getting really light ones, even though doc said it was normal, I switched back to my old pill Ovcon and started getting normal periods again.

Good luck D2B, I would say you are probably fine if you took the pill correctly, but seeing the doc might clear some stuff up.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I feel dumb. I looked it up and there are tests for menopause. Maybe they are not accurate if my doctors did not know about them. Anyone know if you can take them while being on the pill?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
When I stopped taking the pill four years ago I had three or so normal periods after stopping but they I didn''t have one for almost 2 years. I took preganancy tests all the time to be sure. Anyway after hormonal therapy that didn''t work and then a year of accupuncture, out of no where my periods returned. I''ve had them regularly every 26 days for two years. My doctors still have no logical reason why I wasn''t getting my period. I live in the middle of NYC and saw 4 gynos and a reproductive endo and still no answer. I don''t care so much anymore because I am getting my period but it was a very strange experience.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 10:49:06 PM
Author: Blair138
Just wanted to chime in since this has happened to me. Stress is a factor and can make you miss a period, which my doctor says is normal.

Also merrijoy, I was on LoEstrin and wasn't getting periods or was getting really light ones, even though doc said it was normal, I switched back to my old pill Ovcon and started getting normal periods again.

Good luck D2B, I would say you are probably fine if you took the pill correctly, but seeing the doc might clear some stuff up.
Thanks so much. I will mention that one to the doctor. I think I did not have a period while I was on Estrostep and Yaz as well. (was only on Yaz for 3 months but was on Estrostep from 18 - 26 years old).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hormonal birth control is just that, hormonal. They provide a particular mix to prevent conception, but they also throw off your natural hormone production in the process. I had several "scares" while I was on the pill, and each time I was not pregnant. Now, that being said, there are some women who get pregnant while on the pill and it often occurs while they''re switching types of pills. Not so much one brand to another of the same kind of pill, more like going from Loestrine to Seasonale, a major switch like that. Definitely see your doctor and get things checked out.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add that what you experience as a "period" when on the pill was only added by the manufacturers of the original BCP. It isn''t really menstration, since your uterine lining has not really thickened to the point where you could gestate an embryo. The creators of the pill added the week off hormones so it would feel more normal to women. It is completely normal to skip a "period" while on the pill, as long as you haven''t missed any other pills, especially at the bginning or end of a pack, when you are more likely to ovulate.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Where are you in your cycle? How long has it been? Are you still in the week of taking no pills or very far past that? There are certain pills you should not continue taking if you suspect you might be pregnant - so finding out asap is important.
Are you good about taking the pill as directed? If so, the chance you are preggers is very very low.

Did you just switch brands this month? If so, I would suspect that is likely why...

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I had the same problem last month. I have been on three different kinds of pills since Feb. of 09. This past Dec. I started a new one because i was having a lot of breakthrough bleeding. I ended up bleeding for almost 3 weeks on the new pill. So when it came time to have my period I had a 1 day very light period and then nothing for the rest of the week. I took a preggo test and negative and then took another one the following week and also negative. I decided to go off the pill and use other methods. I was tired of all the bs with the pills. That and we are still trying to decide if we want another or just to "get fixed". I was a faithful pill taker and never missed a pill and always took at the same time. Hopefully you figure out what the problem is.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it masks it.

My youngest child was concieved when I was on the pill. I was like clockwork with my period and when I was 2 weeks late despite not missing any pills I bought an at home kit. It came back positive right away.

I had the opposite question as you and thought the pill might have given me a false postive.

I called my doctor who told me that birth control pills don''t effect the tests.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results