shape
carat
color
clarity

On an African Safari with Brian the Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
After leaving the beautiful Natal region on the east coast of South Africa where we experienced the Zulu wedding, we went North to the Kruger National Park to take part in a 4 day Safari. The drive there was breathtaking as we drove towards the Eastern Transvaal. We entered the Game Park at the south end to set up camp at Berg-en-Dal, where we stayed in luxury rondavels (grass huts). Here is the road that lead up to the camp.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

bergendal.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
After unloading the trailer filled with food provisions and ALOT of meat to BBQ, we couldn't wait to get started and look out for the animals. Everyone of the following pictures were taken by Brian - yes, we REALLY saw all these incredible animals....here goes.....the black car in front is Brian's brother's car and YES, the elephant just strolled across the road!!!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0723.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a whole herd of elephants crossing the road later on....

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0881.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
There were literally hundred of Springbok all over the Game Park - aren't they beautiful?

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0595.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
A pair of Zebra - so gentle and peaceful.

As an aside, I saw a magnificent line of jewelry while I was there. The designer had used black, white and fancy yellow diamonds to create rings and earrings with an animal theme. My favorite was the "zebra" set with alternating lines of blck and white diamonds......there was also the cheetah set and the giraffe set....awesome!!!I think we took a picture and if I can find it I will post it later.....so many pictures to wade through!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0712.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Here's Gerry Giraffe looking at us...... When we were kids there was a song that started "Poor old Gerry Giraffe was very very tall....". Not sure if that song was popular in the USA but we all had fun singing it in the car!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0751.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
So what is your ring size? I couldn't believe how ugly this little guy was!!!

We ate soooo much beef jerky - in South Africa it is called "biltong" and is usually made from venison. It tastes different to the jerky here in the USA. Dimonbob has tasted it and he can attest to the taste!!

We were dying to bring some home but there is a $50,000 fine if you are caught bringing it in to the USA. I told the kids that the sniffing dogs would sniff it out in the suitcases...of course there was not ONE dog in sight when we cleared customs and I didn't hear the end of it from our 17 year old!!!!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_1003.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Lion footprints in the sand...unfortunately we only saw two lions in the distance. There had been a kill about 20 minutes before we drove up and the vultures were circling around in the sky.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0832.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
There were so many beautiful birds...

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0681.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful........

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_1029.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
A toucan crossing the road....

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0797.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
More...

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_1013.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
A wildebeest....

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0843.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
There were hundreds of monkeys.

On the last morning I was woken up by a scurrying sound on the roof. There were monkeys all around the huts. On the patio outside we had left some fruit and one of them helped itself to a banana!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0895.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hippos............

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_1067.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
A crocodile....

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0962.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
The river that ran in front of our lodging - the second 2 night we moved to a guest house where all 11 who were on the safari slept....it was a beautiful house with a magnificent view.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0912.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
A flock of birds

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0996.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
On the third evening half the group decided to go on a night ride with a game ranger...I opted out as it was absolutely freezing (it is winter in the Southern hemisphere). Everyone came home frozen solid....of course we had a huge BBQ waiting....lamb ribs, boerewors (sausage), burgers and steaks......it is amazing how much a group of hungry people can eat..

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_1113.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Regal...

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0822.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
An African sunset...breathtaking...

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_0737.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Driving home.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_1292.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Whenever you are feeling a little uptight look at this one....

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

IMG_1324.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Speechless...

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

STE_1283.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
What a trip! And I thought it was great going to the Wild Animal Park! I'm just in awe right now! What amazing pictures (no wonder my ring pictures are so spectacular--Brian's great with a camera!)!!! So what was the best part of your trip?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!!! Thanks for posting these images... they are awesome. I used to work at World Wildlife Fund and it's been my dream for over 10 years to actually see some wildlife in its natural habitat. You've just rekindled that desire. Thanks again for sharing, beautiful pics!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results