shape
carat
color
clarity

Oldest thing in your closet?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm until fairly recently I still had a cotton T-shirt from when I was 14 (I'm now 36) so it lasted and still fit for ages. Bought it from Marks & Spencer on a trip overseas with my parents. If second hand goods count - I have my mum's Bally boots from when she was in her early 20's, she is now 70! They need a new zip on one but otherwise in great nick.

Oh - (after covid) you owe that boot a new zip!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A dress I wore to a wedding 4.5 years ago. And my dog. She sleeps in my closet on a doggy bed and she's 9 years old.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking about it the oldest thing in my closet is me! :shifty:

But that red pea coat is almost as old. I beat it by five years. :cheeky:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lee Jean jacket from ‘70ish and a pair of Marlborough jodhpur boots that are a bit newer.....a camp sweatshirt.

Levi and lee jeans from college ‘75 to ‘79
A woolrich down vest....late 70’s
A boos boiled wool jacket from ‘80
All still quite wearable...jeans are alittle tight.....

Kvintage

Rough_Rock
I have a down jacket from my mother when she was 14, and shirts and snow overalls from my father. 55 years old! I wore the jacket when I was in high school.

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An Irish wool sweater i bought from Thrift 27 years ago. It was old then! 20201212_134506.jpg
@Begonia, I have a sweater just like this
I'll have to see if I can take a picture tomorrow. It's about 26 year old. I have a pullover sweater bought at the same time in my husband's closet.
Both were bought for me, but I was 5 months pregnant at the time and had to guess what size to get. They both were big, but it was 1995 and that was fine. I still wear the cardigan, don't care if it's roomy, and DH likes the other one.

Otherwise, because I keep a small safe in my closet, the oldest things in there are actually my grandmothers' ring and necklace. They are over 90 years old.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
The oldest thing in my closet is a robe my husband gifted me the Christmas I was pregnant with our first daughter. She’ll be 20 in March! I don’t even wear it anymore, but I can’t seem to get rid of it either...!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had like a 2 day cold snap (its summer here but a skifiekd down south got snow)
I had to go out and pick up Gary's prescription from the chemist
I had already hung an old hoodie back up in the hall cupboard for next winter
It was my ex-boyfriend's brother's
Their mum gave it to me
i must have looked cold one day :mrgreen2: and he had pulled it out of his wardrobe to go to charity :mrgreen2:

its kinda wearing out around the cuffs otherwise its too good and too warm to chuck out

Back in '96 it was a brand all the young boys liked (it came from a mall menswear chain)
The zip is like new

I wonder if the stuff they sell now would last as long

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My letterman jacket and my Levi’s jacket. I got both when I was in high school so maybe 30 or so years ago.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a crappy diamond, 0.2 ct probably R, I2 in a closet that's millions, maybe billions, of years old.

But then there's that science thingie, "Conservation of Matter", which states while matter can be changed in form, but is neither created or destroyed.
So, isn't everything as old as the universe?

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off on a tangent

My favourite summer shirt is literly in shreads
Ive worn it to death and then some
now the sleeve is ripped
- it used to just have a a rip in the front and a small hole in the back
why didn't i buy 6 of them !
Its only a little over 3 years old
Its irreparable

For the last year Gary has been trying to throw it out now i will have to concede its time....

But may live on as a summer weight cat blankie :mrgreen2:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
The oldest items in my wardrobe are two fur coats that I bought in 1980.I don't wear them anymore but I can't bring myself to throw them out

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve got a pair of boots that are a little over 25 years old. They’re a slightly Victorian silhouette that I love but I wear them only infrequently now. I must take them a decent cobbler as I damaged the heels a little not looking after them when I was younger.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A white button down shirt from Gap bought circa 1996 when i was about 12. It was huge and oversized, and I wore it paired with a tube top or even a bikini top (yeah, I gave my parents a tough few years as I entered my tweens). It now is skintight and I can't even button it closed. But it is still in great condition. Cotton like that simply doesn't exist anymore, not even with some really expensive recent purchases.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
My dad had a very loud sense of fashion (think Starsky and Hutch) and had this one godawful shirt that he wore all the time. Terrible print. Enormous flappy collar. Snap closure . The worst.
I loved it.

A few years back he was going to throw it out and I immediately took it for myself. Now that he's gone Im so happy to have something that was so him.

I also have a belt that I wore in high school. I feel personally attacked every time I look at it lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad had a very loud sense of fashion (think Starsky and Hutch) and had this one godawful shirt that he wore all the time. Terrible print. Enormous flappy collar. Snap closure . The worst.
I loved it.

A few years back he was going to throw it out and I immediately took it for myself. Now that he's gone Im so happy to have something that was so him.

I also have a belt that I wore in high school. I feel personally attacked every time I look at it lol

Yaah for dad fashion :kiss2:

I found one of mum's handies yesterday
i have always suffered from hayfevor and always used a man's hanky
i washed mum's hanky with yesterday's wash.
Its so dainty
I'll tuck in back into her orotone clutch (late 70s or early 80s) i always loved the metalicky feel to it and anticipated my sister would want it

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Yaah for dad fashion :kiss2:

I found one of mum's handies yesterday
i have always suffered from hayfevor and always used a man's hanky
i washed mum's hanky with yesterday's wash.
Its so dainty
I'll tuck in back into her orotone clutch (late 70s or early 80s) i always loved the metalicky feel to it and anticipated my sister would want it

Love hankies! My gran used to do pulled thread embroidery on the borders but, sadly, I don't have any of her work. I used my lockdown time to knit something for my son so that he would have something handmade from me when I'm gone <3

joelly

Ideal_Rock
As I was flipping through old pictures tonight, I realized I am a semi hoarder when it comes to clothes! I have a pair of denim overalls from my college days, a sweater (mediocre quality from Express) that is from my mid-20’s, and dress pants from my first post-college job interview!

That makes these clothes 20-30 years old! Do you have clothes from the good ‘ol days?

Absolutely... my grandma’s cloth which are older than me... she used the cloth to sleep at night... she died in 1994. She was 86.

That’s the oldest plus some shirt I have worn since high school. I’m 44 now. High school was 28 yrs ago. So these shirts at least 28 yrs old.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love hankies! My gran used to do pulled thread embroidery on the borders but, sadly, I don't have any of her work. I used my lockdown time to knit something for my son so that he would have something handmade from me when I'm gone <3

Kind of lovelly
kind of sad

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh my :appl:
How fragile is it ?
Do you have a picture to show us ?

It's not fragile at all. I am lucky enough to have a letter written by my grandmother about who made it. It smells good. I took it to a quilt museum a few years ago and they authenticated it by the cloth and time period. I could put it on a bad, but I am afraid to fade it.

They were Murphy, but the quilt pattern is German.
I have some clothing from these people too.

a453be40-9d61-4491-bfe6-00640f8a4f2e.jpg 5fa2f2c9-4c01-4115-a4a7-1481ae7b2c41.jpg

78f1ec50-fc1b-47b5-be40-063f948538eb.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not fragile at all. I am lucky enough to have a letter written by my grandmother about who made it. It smells good. I took it to a quilt museum a few years ago and they authenticated it by the cloth and time period. I could put it on a bad, but I am afraid to fade it.

They were Murphy, but the quilt pattern is German.
I have some clothing from these people too.

a453be40-9d61-4491-bfe6-00640f8a4f2e.jpg 5fa2f2c9-4c01-4115-a4a7-1481ae7b2c41.jpg

78f1ec50-fc1b-47b5-be40-063f948538eb.jpg

Wow its trully precouse :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results