shape
carat
color
clarity

OLDEST Piece of Clothing That You Still Wear?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I am wearing a "Late Night with David Letterman" sweatshirt today. I got it on the NBC tour in 1984, which makes it 27 years old!

I think that may be older than some PSer's :shock:

What is your oldest piece of clothing?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Hawaiian Island Creations sweatshirt that I've had since sophomore or junior year of high school--circa 1995.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Considering things I got new, then its a Gap top from 1991 - 21 years and in fine condition. However, my oldest piece of clothing, that I regularly wear, would be my mother's jeans trench coat from the 70s and a vintage hat from the 20s that I got in a flea market.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Most of my clothes are ancient, but one thing that springs to mind is a black coat which I've had for about a decade now.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A red winter jacket that's so old, I don't remember when or where I bought it. 15 or 20 yrs, I'm sure, and got 2 compliments yesterday on how pretty it is.

--- Laurie

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I have 30 yar old cashmere sweater that is still wearable and miraculously still fits {altho it needs to go to the tailor for a few moth holes to be stitched}. I had it before I met my husband!!! And I actually wore it Saturday nite!

I have a pair of Isotoner gloves that are over 15 years old, so worn and stretched, that I keep for driving. They look awful, so I keep them scrunched in my pockets until I have to use them. I'd NEVER drive in a good pair of gloves.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I have a dress that I still wear from the 7th grade.........Probably circa 1997.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Sometime in the 1980's I bought a LLBean fuzzy jacket. It still looks the same as the day I bought it and I wear it as my main coat.
That thing is old and sturdy!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know if this counts, but I have a flannel nightshirt that was my Dad's that he wore for 20 years and I've now worn for another 20 years. It's so worn that I don't wear it much anymore except when I'm sick or want to be especially cozy. It's irreplacable.

I also have a sweatshirt that I got in high school that I wear to do housework that's over 20 years old. They don't make 'em like they used to!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
My oldest has to be a 31 y/o branded black tambour lace blouse that I probably never get rid of. Aunt Elise gave it to me about 15 years ago with tags still on. I don't wear it often, the blouse is feminine, exquisite and alluring, just like she used to be.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've got one of my brother's old hoodies from when he was in the Army - around 1992? But of my own clothes, my favorite pair of shorts were bought when I was 16. 12 years later they still fit and other than one small hole are in good shape (and honestly, they put holes in clothes in purpose these says anyway!). :wink2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom's red pea coat from 1972. It is my favorite coat and I always get compliments when I wear it. I had it relined 4 times already but it is still going strong.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have some sweaters from the early 90s, I think.

Now, if we're talking jewelry (costume), I've got some pieces I've worn recently that date back to the mid-80s.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1327935291|3114817 said:
I am wearing a "Late Night with David Letterman" sweatshirt today. I got it on the NBC tour in 1984, which makes it 27 years old!
Damn. I shoulda bought the SWEATSHIRT instead of the Tee the time I went to see the show that year! The tee didn't last me through the 90's ... but the sweatshirt would be still going strong (if too small LOL). I can still admire the T from time to time as it lives on, in a picture of me in my high school yearbook.

As to the question -- I'm guessing a cropped white boatneck cotton Eileen Fisher sweater from the early 90's could be the oldest piece that's still in moderate rotation. I used to have a denim jacket from '83 -- that I continued to wear well into the 2000's. Twas a victim of a sad car trunk leak/flood/moldy catastrophe. :(sad

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still wear several t-shirts from soccer tournaments I played in 15-20 years ago. :-o That make me feel old! I wear one regularly that's from at least 16 years ago. They always used to give out bigger adult sizes to kids for some reason, so they're all still too big for me!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depends ... are we defining "oldest" with a straightforward chronological meaning, or are we talking personally?

See, I collect vintage clothing ... so it might be my 1930s silk chinoiserie day-dress, or it might be my 1920s blue velvet opera coat with the violet silk lining or it might be my astrakhan car-coat (these were all popular around roughly the same time, so I can't for a fact say that one wasn't a little ahead of its time, or the other in a style that was a perennial favorite with its maker).

But personally? It'd be my trenchcoat. My dad bought it in Vienna the year before I was born and carted it along when we emigrated: I swiped it from him when I was fifteen, and have worn it pretty continuously ever since (the only winter I ever skipped was the one I spent in LA). Had to have it relined ... oh, when I was 25 or so? But given that it had already put in a good quarter-century by then, I feel like it deserved it - and with its new lining, its still going strong. I assume my son will be getting the same compliments on it that I did when his teens roll around ....

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My 30+ year Frye boots. Resoled several times and DD wore them for about a year and I reclaimed them since I did not think she was taking good care of them.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Oldest that was new to me is probably a wooly hat that I've owned for 37 years!

Oldest that I own and wear are an evening dress that my grandmother (who died last year at the age of 93) made and wore in her 20's, evening gloves that belonged to her mother and the 1880 Congleton lace veil that I wore on my wedding day.

My grandmother kept lots of her clothes from when she was younger and she didn't shirk on quality when she bought them so I had a load to look through after she died. I'm the only family member who was close to her in size and we had the exact same glove, shoe and hat size so I have inherited some amazing pieces - handmade formal shoes with matching hat, around 8 pairs of leather gloves in different colours (6 pairs have never been worn).

The morning coat and trousers that my father wore to my wedding in 2008 were the same ones that he wore for his own wedding in 1971 and that his father wore to HIS wedding in 1937!

The absolute oldest piece I ever wore was my grandmother's silk family christening gown which dates from 1850.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
A GAP shirt I both in 1996 (first year in college). I wear it mostly at home now cause the collar is a bit worn , but it stood up for so long!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Resewed a button on the wool trench coat I wore in college that I still wear regularly last weekend. I graduated in 1979, so it's older than that. I think 1977, which would make it 36 years old. I wear it every winter, it's an Evan Picone (from when they were a good brand).

I regularly wear a rayon blouse that was made sometime in the 1940's, but did not buy that new obviously. I was born in 1957.
It's beautiful--it's a kind of mocha color with sleeves that are not sewn to the shoulders but cut in one piece and gussets under the arms. It buttons down the back and has embroidery on the front made from appliqued bias tubing. The rayon really is like silk, from those days. It's not delicate at all.

I also wear one of my grandmother's camisoles--goodness knows how long SHE had it--she never got rid of anything that was still good.

I also wear a 1960's jacket a lot which has those three quarter sleeves Jackie Kennedy popularized, and beautiful buttons--they're plastic on the outside but fabric on the inside, sort of accordion pleated.

I love vintage clothes; I love the fit. I love my own old clothes from the days when clothes were made in the US and had fine details and also other people's old clothes that I find in thrift shops. I was comparing recently some silk sweater sets my husband bought me 21 years ago, really made of heavy knitted silk, with the modern version from the same company, made out of sleazy rayon with about 10% silk and already pilling all over--though the company still has the name 'silk' in it. No comparison. so I will never let my old ones go.

I am a shorter and smaller person and modern clothes don't tend to fit me well. They have smaller size numbers but are bigger than my older clothes with less shape built into them. I look as if I'm drowning in them if they are misses sizes, and if they are junior sizes they fit better but look horrifically sleazy, becuase usually the fit is from lycra, not darts and they have no linings, no good details even if expensive and all look as if they were thrown together in a Chinese sweatshop with child slave labor (which I am sure they were). I like to look nice so will wear my clothes FOREVER (and they will last forever too as they are very well made).

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
J.Crew dress I've been wearing since 1997 (so 15 years). I bought it at a thrift store, so who knows how old it is!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pair of Gap boxers from 1987, which I used to wear as shorts when I was in high school but is now relegated to PJ territory. :tongue:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE these stories, especially old family pieces that last for decades. Very sweet. :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1328032454|3115645 said:
Damn. I shoulda bought the SWEATSHIRT instead of the Tee the time I went to see the show that year! The tee didn't last me through the 90's ... but the sweatshirt would be still going strong (if too small LOL). I can still admire the T from time to time as it lives on, in a picture of me in my high school yearbook.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was there is December, so the sweatshirt was definitely the way to go! Plus, I barely use it, since I live in the south. :bigsmile:

So weird that you were there around the same time! Isn't that odd? :shock:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1328197007|3117300 said:
decodelighted|1328032454|3115645 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was there is December, so the sweatshirt was definitely the way to go! Plus, I barely use it, since I live in the south. :bigsmile:

So weird that you were there around the same time! Isn't that odd? :shock:
A coincidence for sure! I wish I could remember the month -- I'm sure I could research it in old diaries -- but I can remember the outfits my friend & I were wearing because there's a picture of us in front of 30 Rock floating around somewhere in my albums. I'd guess late Spring/early Summer? (lightweight cotton madras button front skirt). And I was carrying some records with me w/jokes written on them in case he was taking donations to his Record Collection. Ah, youth!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think that may be older than some PSer's :shock:

What is your oldest piece of clothing?

as old as me :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
A plain black sheath dress I wore in high school to a formal, and I am in my 30s. It was loose back then, but fits now. I had more conservative and sophisticated taste back then than I do now, so it is timeless. I wish I had appreciated my youth more and had been more comfortable in my own skin.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
My senior class high school sweatshirt. (1999)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results