shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Mine Cushion - thoughts?

Mpb1018

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

This old mine cushion on JBG caught my eye. It's definitely not perfect, and has some character - but I can appreciate that in an antique stone.

My biggest concern is that it being so shallow would negatively affect it's performance. I've had a hard time judging by the photos/video. I'd appreciate any of your thoughts!

Cushion.jpg

Old Mine Cushion

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you ask for hand photos /video in indirect lighting? maybe that might give you a better idea of performance as opposed to the direct sunlight ones?

I like the character it seems to have, as well!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has an attractive shape and is so spready for its carat weight, with great face-up dimensions, but in my opinion (based on the photos and videos in the listing) the shallow depth does adversely affect the performance of the diamond. YMMV.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
based on the images, it's an appealling and pretty shape BUT facet patterning does not appear sharp and crisp, to me. the diamond looks fuzzy, all over

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
based on the images, it's an appealling and pretty shape BUT facet patterning does not appear sharp and crisp, to me. the diamond looks fuzzy, all over

Yeap. Very leaky. No light reflection at all

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree the shallow depth of that stone adversely affects the light performance.

Have you seen this one @Mpb1018 ?
It's smaller but IMO a prettier stone with a better cut.

1.32ctOldMineCushionGIAKSI_25_400x.jpg

I know it's different than what you were looking at though. Don't give up. Your stone is out there.

Mpb1018

Rough_Rock
I did ask for some additional photos in different lighting. I will post if they look promising!

All of your feedback definitely confirms some of the suspicions I was having about that stone. The attractive shape of it really sucked me in!

@missy I did see that one and agree on the better cut. I've found lately I'm more drawn to the "rounder" cushion shapes. The cushion I have now is very square, so I'm looking for a change. I'm a lover of cushion cuts, each is so unique.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked on OWD. There are some nice ones there but the site is a bit harder to navigate and not all stones have photos, it's a pain but you could reach out to Adam and he will send you some photos/videos.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked on OWD. There are some nice ones there but the site is a bit harder to navigate and not all stones have photos, it's a pain but you could reach out to Adam and he will send you some photos/videos.

I second this suggestion. His collection is among the best and he has so many different flavors. I would call him vs email. It's a busy time of year so calling is best IMO.

Mpb1018

Rough_Rock

I second this suggestion. His collection is among the best and he has so many different flavors. I would call him vs email. It's a busy time of year so calling is best IMO.

I will check that out! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did ask for some additional photos in different lighting. I will post if they look promising!

I’m greedy. Can you please show the pics either way?

Mpb1018

Rough_Rock

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Apologies for the long delay! Here is a link I was given with additional photos. It was still difficult for me to see additional details with these photos, so I took that as a sign to not hang myself up on it.

https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/L.../154ct-Old-Mine-Cushion-Cut-Diamond-GIA-K-VS1

Then I noticed while browsing today that it sold! So my wallet breathed a little sigh of relief ;))

Wow that was sold in like 10 days! I guess lots of people are looking for baubles this time of year. I am sure a better one will come along with your name on it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results