shape
carat
color
clarity

Old mine and emerald vintage ring

dmack

Shiny_Rock
I purchased this vintage old mine and emerald ring from Ivy and Rose this week. The center diamond is a 1.19ct old mine, 6.6 mm by 6.5 mm, graded by EGL (while in the setting) as F-G, SI2. There are ten cabochon emeralds in the setting as well.

My intent, admittedly half-formed at the time of purchase, was to scavenge the center diamond and perhaps sell the setting. But it’s really pretty…I don’t know!

What I love:
  • The emeralds are so lovely and complementary to the center diamond. The tone in color of the two stone types are nicely matched, for lack of a better description. In the two hours I’ve been wearing it, I see some tint in the diamond but not much. Videos below are reflecting either color or the green trees outside the window. ?? Face up, it’s nearly colorless.
  • The gallery! The geometric pieces under the center stone! The swoops under the emeralds, I’ve never seen that before!
  • The migrain around the illusion setting (or whatever you call the faux bezel thing going on).
Why I pause:
  • It’s a hefty ring. Not a 24/7 ring at all. Even as a size 6, which is as low as I go, the weight makes it spin like crazy.
  • Ugh, I like it too much to remove the center diamond? Now what??? (PS problems, lol)
I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep the ring and hold tight on future decisions for a minute.

What do folks think about the facet pattern, which I’ve tried to capture as best I can?

Video links:
By window:

Lower lighting:
B059F3BE-8321-4C61-889B-6827BC182D09.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A07E4D1-935E-42B3-ABC7-8038D6AFAC1A.jpeg
    2A07E4D1-935E-42B3-ABC7-8038D6AFAC1A.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 34
  • B7F9ECE5-6D70-4510-90D2-96333D5A0EA4.jpeg
    B7F9ECE5-6D70-4510-90D2-96333D5A0EA4.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 32
  • C80FD7DF-FAC3-4D22-8D04-1788EF93EBE8.jpeg
    C80FD7DF-FAC3-4D22-8D04-1788EF93EBE8.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 0827BA7A-96D4-4A8C-B561-BB27C40B4899.jpeg
    0827BA7A-96D4-4A8C-B561-BB27C40B4899.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 71A4E31E-C01C-49EA-A79C-61292F82509E.jpeg
    71A4E31E-C01C-49EA-A79C-61292F82509E.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 3B8AF664-6F0C-45DD-BC13-B10AC6B38C2A.jpeg
    3B8AF664-6F0C-45DD-BC13-B10AC6B38C2A.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 28

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super beautiful setting!

Can't really comment on the diamond, except I don't think it shows to advantage in that setting ... I think the 3D nature of the emerald cabochons really emphasizes the comparatively flat appearance of the diamond (it is set so low it is level with the box setting, the crown and table are not even visible in the ring profile pics). I feel like the diamond would really perform better in an open prong setting ... but that's me lol. You are the one who can see it IRL which is what really counts.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to gauge for any leakage in the illusion box setting amping the brightness, but from what I can see it's even in pattern and the culet is pretty well centered. It doesn't appear to have any blacking out or overly dead facets.
It's a very pretty ring and not a common mounting style which is very cool in and of itself. :love:

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Super beautiful setting!

Can't really comment on the diamond, except I don't think it shows to advantage in that setting ... I think the 3D nature of the emerald cabochons really emphasizes the comparatively flat appearance of the diamond (it is set so low it is level with the box setting, the crown and table are not even visible in the ring profile pics). I feel like the diamond would really perform better in an open prong setting ... but that's me lol. You are the one who can see it IRL which is what really counts.

Oh my gosh, you’re right about the illusion box flattening out the stone. I actually think that’s an attractive feature. I am, how shall I say this…a hand banger. A banger of hands. On everything. I loooove puffy crowns but am terrified of smashing them. I saw this and was like, Ooh, a dmack guardrail! (PS autocorrected my user name to “smack” just then, how apropos!)

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, fellow hand banger here. Just a point to consider. I would be way less worried about whacking a diamond that has stood the test of time, being an OEC it was probably cut more than 100 years ago than I would be bout smashing the emeralds. Emeralds are much, much softer and prone to damage than a diamond.

That said, it’s a cool setting, retro chic at its finest but don’t get too obsessed about protecting the diamond aka the hand smashing - it’s the green goodies to watch out for.

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
What a fascinating ring! I can see why you're pausing. Wear it for awhile and see how you feel. I would have an extremely difficult time pulling the diamond from that setting myself.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would probably pull it out and reset (I realize I’m going against the grain here) bc the diamond gets lost in that setting imho. But it’s all a matter of personal preference.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Hey, fellow hand banger here. Just a point to consider. I would be way less worried about whacking a diamond that has stood the test of time, being an OEC it was probably cut more than 100 years ago than I would be bout smashing the emeralds. Emeralds are much, much softer and prone to damage than a diamond.

That said, it’s a cool setting, retro chic at its finest but don’t get too obsessed about protecting the diamond aka the hand smashing - it’s the green goodies to watch out for.

Great point. If I keep this, I was thinking of posting an ask for advice on wearing and caring for emeralds as I’ve never had them before.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
I would probably pull it out and reset (I realize I’m going against the grain here) bc the diamond gets lost in that setting imho. But it’s all a matter of personal preference.

Not at all! I appreciate @lucida818 and you weighing in. My original thought was to do the exact thing you’re recommending. If I pull it I’d likely set it in a solitaire bezel setting. Not sure about prongs because as far as I can tell the SI2 grade is due to some chewed up parts by the girdle, the center is clean in my loupe. Hmm, decisions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results