shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay, is this cute, a good idea, horrible?

Is this a decent bouquet?

• No, I''m not a fan. It looks fake, and cheap. Sorry, girl.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Um, it''s decent, but I''d not use it.

• It''d work, if you''d find a tulip that''s closer in color to the violet of the hydrangeas.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, I like it.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I''ve not been able to get a good picture of the test run bouquet I made. The flowers look like they have a tinge of blue in them, but they''re all violet, just shades of it, and for some reason, the camera and lighting is making them blue.

Anyway, the tulips are a touch darker purple than I''d like, but I plan on visiting Pier One *thanks, Gypsy* to see if I can find any of a more "real" texture and look.

Would you be appalled if you went to a wedding and saw a bouquet similar to this?

*I also plan on using SILVER for the ribbon that binds them. I''ve just not found any wide enough yet, so white it is for now.*

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Fisher, am I missing the pic?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Haha, Amber. I forgot to post it because I was focusing too hard on the poll choices. Here it is:

hydrangea&tulip.JPG

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Fisher, I like the shape and colors, but my issue would be with the quality of the silks. Didn''t Aphisiglovessae use all silks? Her flowers came out beautifully. Let me see if I can find a link...

BTW, now that you are 1000 posts in, don''t you think you deserve a real avatar? Like of that new bling perhaps?
31.gif
2.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
What a GREAT idea! Let me see how to figure out how to do that! Thanks!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Found it! Aphi go her silks from Saveoncrafts.com. Here's a link to her planning thread if you want to see pics:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aphisiglovessaes-ps-wedding-journal.40431/

ETA: The actual website is http://www.save-on-crafts.com/

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
You could try this one...
2.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I like the new one I just made of the FIRE!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
or this one if you want a floral

(just remember to save it to your computer under a different name before you try to download it to the PS server)

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
doh! I forgot to attach! Let me try for the fire one next...

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Do they all look like poor quality, or just the tulips? I really thought the hydrangeas looked pretty good. I took them to work today, too. No one said anything about the hydrangeas, just the tulips. Haha. I may need to just foil the tulip thing.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan of those particular silks you used (quality wise)....I did think Aphi''s flowers were great though, so it''s doable!!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
If I am being completely honest, I don''t care for the hydrangeas either. They just don''t look realistic enough for me.

Is this the fire you wanted?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Well, I got them at an awesome price, and the colors are right on *for the hydrangeas, anyway.* I went ahead and got enough to make all the flower stuff, because if I liked it, I''d be livid if I didn''t have enough to do it with. So, I did ask if I could return them If I didn''t like them, and I''ve only cut three of them up, so I can totally take back the rest of them. I''m looking for honesty, so please share opinions!

Here is a picture of the flowers, closer up:

by the way, yeah, that''s the fire I like. I also like the pink flower one, too. That''s my favorite, I think. Gosh, I like them all, though.
9.gif
My access is locked to that area, I wonder why that is.

hydcp.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
in my honest opinion, the flowers look really fake. there's no way getting around it kind of fake. i would use those types of flowers outdoors in my window boxes for all year round kinda thing. i actually get some great fakey flowers online but they are really more for the outdoor thing. you can see how serrated and fabricy the edges are. i like the fatafelice posted for better quality. great looking silks ARE possibly but you can't go the cheap route if you really want them to look real. there are so many types of silk flowers, you don't have to get the most expensive, but IMO if you want something that really looks classy, don't go this route either.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Fisher, I think the problems are with general quality, like Mara said, and also with realism. The flowers in the bouquet are too large -- not delicate like all of the hydrangeas I have seen, which normally are more clusters of tiny flowers.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Well, our goal is to be cheap. I''m not wanting to bother with planning with florists, and I guess maybe I do need to make that trip to Pier One. Anyone else able to second they have good quality ones?

Each bouquet is going to be small, because I don''t like overdone, at all.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Well, my *ideal* wasn't hydrangeas. I liked how they *puffed* into cute little balls, though. Pretty for a bouquet, I thought.

My IDEAL is white daisies and violet tulips. That's what I've invisioned, but then when I saw the *puff* factor, and the nice color scheme, I thought, "hmm, let's try this."

Does anyone know if Pier One has a nice variety of flowers? I don't mind paying a little more, particularly because my bridesmaids and junior bridesmaids will have little bouquets.

And, I've always liked the idea of having longer stems, just tied in a bow, without all the wrapping, but again, I know very little about weddings, so I don't know if that's really all that practical.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there is cheap and then there is cheap-looking. And you probably don''t want the latter.

How many bouquets are you planning on? Because smaller purple hydrangea on the site I linked is 12/29.88. If you used three per bouquet and a few other flowers, you could still do the whole thing for less than $15.

Something else to keep in mind...I bought bunches of three hydrangea stems for $6.99 at the grocery store last week. If they are in season when you get married, fresh could be cheaper than silk.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 7:26:00 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
Well, my *ideal* wasn''t hydrangeas. I liked how they *puffed* into cute little balls, though. Pretty for a bouquet, I thought.

My IDEAL is white daisies and violet tulips. That''s what I''ve invisioned, but then when I saw the *puff* factor, and the nice color scheme, I thought, ''hmm, let''s try this.''

Does anyone know if Pier One has a nice variety of flowers? I don''t mind paying a little more, particularly because my bridesmaids and junior bridesmaids will have little bouquets.

And, I''ve always liked the idea of having longer stems, just tied in a bow, without all the wrapping, but again, I know very little about weddings, so I don''t know if that''s really all that practical.

You can do whatever you want...its YOUR wedding! I happen to like the look of long stems with a simple bow. And daisies are certainly doable. The problem will be finding realistic looking purple tulips.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Paul keeps saying if I have tulips or not, it doesn't matter, because I have a tulip with me all the time. Heehee.

If it ends up I can't find the tulips I want, maybe I can have a white daisy and violet tulip bouquet, and my girls can have white daisies, to offset their violet dresses. Tied with a silver bow. Hmm.

Are realistic looking daisies hard to find?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
What about cream/white tulips with other purple flowers? That would be lovely. And your girls could have all white.

I checked Pier 1, but on the website at least, it doesn''t look like they have much you would be interested in.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, that save on crafts site has LOTS of daisies, and lovely violety ones, too!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
argh i had this big post and i deleted it.

anyway, i said check out if you have anything local near you to see...there is a silk flower store near me that i have never gone to but thats all they sell. also michaels has a huge section of fakies, not sure about quality but they have 20% off sales and stuff so if you can get a coupon. there are a ton of online flower stores for fakies too but it may be hard to tell quality.

also...what fake vs real comes down to for me is how close does the fake look to the real thing. i have a garden and so i have flowers in the yard so i am super picky as to what i see and own that is fake. it has to be VERY CLOSE to the real thing and not much of it comes close. i have a hydrangea bush in the yard and the blooms look nothing like those flowers, they look more like the ones ff posted. also, i adore tulips as well, but honestly i have never seen a fake one, no matter what quality or price that matches the real thing because nothing can emulate that beautiful pearlescent sheen that the petals have when they bloom in the spring.

just some thoughts. keep researching the flowers IMO!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I''d not thought of Michael''s. So far, I thought Hobby Lobby had the best looking flowers, from where I''ve been. Thanks for the help, ladies.

Haha, it''s not something I have to figure out today, now is it?

Still, once I get on something, I have a hard time stopping before I''m satisified.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 8:06:07 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
Mara, I''d not thought of Michael''s. So far, I thought Hobby Lobby had the best looking flowers, from where I''ve been. Thanks for the help, ladies.

Haha, it''s not something I have to figure out today, now is it?

Still, once I get on something, I have a hard time stopping before I''m satisified.

dont worry im the same way! I like the violet daisies and the white tulip maybe one more flower too or fillers?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen silk flowers in a store that looked remotely real... if you want good silk flowers, you need to go online, and they do cost a pretty penny. For tulips, I just don''t think you''re going to find anything that looks remotely real. Cheap silk flowers look just that.. cheap. If that''s the route you want to go, ok, but I think you''d be better off with no flowers than cheap fake ones. Maybe you could carry a fan or something instead.

If you want to go the fake route, it might be better if you went for something that wasn''t really supposed to look real. Have you ever seen the paper flower bouquets? I think they are cool, especially if you don''t want to spend the money on flowers, but they don''t look "real" because they aren''t supposed to. Martha Stewart did an issue this year with them.

Now that the wedding is in January, I think you could get real tulips pretty easily and relatively cheaply. It might be nice to just have your girls carry just one each. The single flower is a good statement and much less expensive than a full bouquet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results