shape
carat
color
clarity

OK to sleep with 3 prong martini earrings?

junhox212

Rough_Rock
Hello, I just purchased a pair of diamond earrings on 3 prong martini setting for my wife and she says she doesn't want to ever take them off other than for cleaning. She wants to sleep with them on every night. I am just wondering if that can cause the prongs (only 3 prongs holding the diamonds) to become loose when she moves around during sleep?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, what a thoughtful husband and what a lovely gift. I am going to be against the popular vote here because I recommend against sleeping in earrings more for the reason of stretching out the piercings vs loosening a prong.

I know many women (and probably men) like to sleep in their earrings but I always take my earrings off before bed because I don't want to stretch out my earring piercings or my lobe (aging is hard enough on the body LOL). Also I don't find it comfortable but that's an individual thing so that isn't the concern here for your wife.

Anyway that's my thought but as I wrote many PSers do sleep with their earrings and don't have any issues. I just believe it will eventually stretch your ear piercings/lobes out more than if you don't sleep in your earrings.

Pics of your wife's new earrings pretty please. :appl:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ditto both of Missy's sentiments. It's a super thoughtful (and beautiful) gift, and I recommend taking them out at night for the same reason.

To answer you specifically, no, wearing them to bed will not loosen the prongs.

One other note, if you wear them to bed, you roll your head around on the pillow and that causes the diamond to come in contact with oils from your face and hair. Nothing will dull up the sparkle of a diamond faster than oil. She'd be cleaning them much more frequently. They get oily as it is just in daily wear! Just an FYI. :))

And yes, we'd love to see a pic if you're so inclined!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wearing my earrings to sleep for the past 20 years and my earring holes are still very teeny tiny to the point that you can barely see them when I take my earrings off for their usual cleaning.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'd say that its' perfectly fine to sleep in earrings. Millions of women do it with no harm done. If it concerns her, then no harm in taking them out at night, but it's definitely not something worth worrying about.

junhox212

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your feedbacks! I didn't think about the ear lobes stretching! I will ask my wife what she thinks about that. I am very grateful for PS for moral support and the education it provided me to help make better purchases for the money. I got these for her yesterday and she's sleeping with them lol so i only have one pic i took of them before giving them to her. Here is the pic along with the certs! Since i am proud, grateful, and love this find =)

20160907_154215.jpg
20160907_154404_0.jpg 20160907_154416.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for coming back to post a pic. They are beautiful, and I'm sure your wife is adoring them. Good job! :appl:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I don't sleep in any of my earrings because they poke me - so it's a comfort thing for me too.

They're beautiful - good job!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful earrings. I too would take them off every night. I find sleeping in earrings uncomfortable, they can poke you sometimes.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
My fi's mom's piercings are really stretched out and she attributes it to sleeping in her earrings for years. I'm guessing it probably depends on how you sleep - laying on the ear vs on your back or something. I have always taken mine out (not comfortable). But even if I found it comfortable, I'd probably take them out anyways to avoid stretching out my earring holes or losing an earring while asleep.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Once the holes stretch, it will take surgery to fix them. Why risk it?

P

PierreBear

I have a pair of 3 prong martini earrings. I personally don't wear earrings to sleep but due to the discomfort. But I'm also the lady who takes off all jewelry when I am in the house to not damage during chores and other activities. I don't foresee any other issues other than what was mentioned above. Beautiful earrings! Hope your wife enjoys!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RE: Earring hole stretching caused by sleeping with earrings on

I've never heard of this nor experienced this after wearing my studs to bed daily for the past 20 years. If so, do your daughters (babies, teens, adults) all remove their earrings when they go to bed too? I wear diamond studs set in 22k gold so the screw style post is really thick and I sleep on my side.

junhox212

Rough_Rock
Interesting.. thank you all! I feel way better about my wife not taking them off after hearing all this. She said she doesn't care for ear lobes stretching bc they needed to be stretched. Thank you I am so happy with these for my wife!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results