shape
carat
color
clarity

Ohora gel nail strips -- anyone else try them?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really impressed by these! For no good reason I started exploring alternatives to my regular mani with the painted on gel polish and I stumbled on these.

This is my second set; the first set was on for 11 days. After about 9 days there were a few visible cracks and if I ran my fingers through my hair it would occasionally catch where the strip had grown out a little, but they were still rock hard and intact. To take them off I figured I'd wash some dishes and the water would help (I normally wear rubber gloves). NOPE. Yesterday I washed over a hundred plates in super hot sudsy water and it did not affect the strips AT ALL. Frankly I started to worry that I wasn't going to be able to get them off LOL, but I used the acetone soaked pads I use to take off my regular gel mani and it worked just fine.

One thing I learned from the first set to this one is NOT to trim/file them to shape initially, but to cut them down pretty much and then do the rest of the shaping after the first cure under the light, then cure two more times. I used a gel top coat to seal the ends the first time, but I didn't this time just to see.

A word of caution on the colors... I've ordered four colors now and they are all a bit different than what I expected based on how they looked on my screen. The first one was bubble gum pink... I expected a pale pink. This color is more of an orange red and I thought it would be blue red. But the others (a mauve and a light plum) are more what I expected.

Anyway, here's my awesome beauty find of the year!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really impressed by these! For no good reason I started exploring alternatives to my regular mani with the painted on gel polish and I stumbled on these.

This is my second set; the first set was on for 11 days. After about 9 days there were a few visible cracks and if I ran my fingers through my hair it would occasionally catch where the strip had grown out a little, but they were still rock hard and intact. To take them off I figured I'd wash some dishes and the water would help (I normally wear rubber gloves). NOPE. Yesterday I washed over a hundred plates in super hot sudsy water and it did not affect the strips AT ALL. Frankly I started to worry that I wasn't going to be able to get them off LOL, but I used the acetone soaked pads I use to take off my regular gel mani and it worked just fine.

One thing I learned from the first set to this one is NOT to trim/file them to shape initially, but to cut them down pretty much and then do the rest of the shaping after the first cure under the light, then cure two more times. I used a gel top coat to seal the ends the first time, but I didn't this time just to see.

A word of caution on the colors... I've ordered four colors now and they are all a bit different than what I expected based on how they looked on my screen. The first one was bubble gum pink... I expected a pale pink. This color is more of an orange red and I thought it would be blue red. But the others (a mauve and a light plum) are more what I expected.

Anyway, here's my awesome beauty find of the year!

IMG_8180.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8184.jpeg
    IMG_8184.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 9

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello!

The set I put on the Monday before Christmas lasted until last weekend, and the only reason they were "done" then was because they grew out so much at the cuticles and it bugged me!

That being said, I've moved on to the Danni & Toni brand, and I like them better for two reasons: the Ohora would "crack" over time (I think it's because I over-cured them and it wasn't really noticeable in the darker colors but it I could see it in the lighter ones), and my hair would get caught on the cuticle end in the Ohora once they'd grown out a bit (but that doesn't seem to happen with the D&T).

The only downside with these strips is that my nails grow out a TON with them on and they are like talons! I need to file them down about once a week as they grow or else I'm going to hurt myself LOL.

Like the Ohora, the D&T colors are also a bit of a challenge (i.e., what I see on my screen vs what comes out of the package), but I guess that's the case any time you try to buy nail polish off the internet!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they come off as easily as the video shows @Dee*Jay ?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they come off as easily as the video shows @Dee*Jay ?

I think you mean where they pop it off with the little orange stick... ? I don't really know because I'm always afraid to "peel" off gel as it takes the top layer of nail. But they DO come off a lot easier than even regular gel polish for me. I rough up the top layer (probably not even necessary, but I'm a creature of habit LOL), do the acetone/cotton/foil then, and voila! The Ohora have a sticky under-layer beneath the polish that can be a bit of a pain to get off, but the D&T come right off pretty much in one piece. I think these are better for my nails than gel polish because I don't have to scrape at all to them them off.

BTW, it took me a couple of tries to get the sizing right. The first time I did them too small, and the second time I did them too big, but now I'm better at it. And for some reason the D&T fit me better, even though there are less in the package than the Ohora.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay, you have beautiful hands. :kiss2:

And since I'm one of those GIRLY men, that makes it ethtra-thuper-duper-true! :lol-2:

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay, you have beautiful hands. :kiss2:

And since I'm one of those GIRLY men, that makes it ethtra-thuper-duper-true! :lol-2:

Awwwww Kenny -- thank you for the compliment!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results