shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh, the agony, but in the end has anyone else closely inspected the ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

Here I am agonising over colour and clarity, looking at inclusion maps, eye clean definations, cut (NB: there is no compromise on cut for me!) and the search continues for that perfect stone for my ring.
30.gif
19.gif
and what size I can get with the possible combinations and budget allocated.

But in the end, with all my angst and analysis, once I have that lovely sparkly ring on my finger, apart from the obvious appearance, who else will really care if it is a shade of colour higher or lower, clarity a bit more or less, assuming it is eye clean.

So, has anyone IRL asked you any questions beyond size (which seems to be what most non-diamond obsesed people focus on)? Have they asked what colour, clarity is it, or even the cut?????????

In a way, it is funny, I am enjoying the process and I am agonizing over the various combinations that are possible in the 4 C''s but in reality apart from me no-one is ever gone to loupe it or stare at it for hours
26.gif
.... sighhh.... the process continues

Anyway, it is fun obsession, but I need to get some perspective sometimes.
41.gif

db

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
My FI and I agonized about the 4cs as well. Actually, he did more than I did. I have not really had random people or acquaintances ask me about my ring beyond the size and I had maybe one or two people ask about the color. BUT, a few family members did loupe my diamond to make sure that all was kosher as well as ask about all the details of the diamond (they did it when he wasn't around, and he knew they were going to do it at some point since all diamonds that enter the family get louped). He got me a D, VS2, 1 carat cushion and any and all inclusions were located at the back. And for me, VS2 was the lowest I could go and still be mind clean. He researched and took care of everything else.
9.gif

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I think most people don''t really care about cut, clarity, or color, I think what most people notice is the size of the diamond. This is just based on my experience and observations.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 8:37:53 PM
Author: junebug17
To be honest, I think most people don''t really care about cut, clarity, or color, I think what most people notice is the size of the diamond. This is just based on my experience and observations.

Totally agree!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Only if you run into a random Pricescoper, and then we''ll be checking you out without you even knowing!!

Really...... it''s all about your personal preference.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
People seem to pretty much focus on size [based on my experience]. I usually get "OMG how big is that?" with a "Wow, what a white stone" added rarely.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 8:14:48 PM
Author:D2B
So, has anyone IRL asked you any questions beyond size (which seems to be what most non-diamond obsesed people focus on)? Have they asked what colour, clarity is it, or even the cut?????????
No, no one has even directly asked about its size. They've hinted at being curious and I volunteer whatever info they're hinting at. I know people can be curious but don't want to be rude.

I asked a very, very close friend once about the stats of her ring (I think I phrased it as "do you know anything about its specifications?" or something), before I knew that was a no-no. She looked at me like I'd just asked her if she knew where Kim Jong-il was hiding nuclear weapons.

Needless to say, I've never asked anyone anything about their ring(s) ever again. I just say "ooh pretty ring!" and move on.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
It is funny isnt it...

dont get me wrong I love my obsession, and I like the fact that I am a more informed consumer, but in the end it is funny because no-one in my circle of frineds/relatives is even remotely interested in diamonds and in fact I will probably be negatively perceived for getting an upgrade.

But my DH and I value the upgrade and what is means to us and i enjoy the process, the research and working with good vendors to get the that special stone. It is also nice to be able to have the knowlege and ability to support good vendors, rather than blindly go to the maul or a randon on-line store who doesnt provide the level of information, care or time.

I think it is a reminder for me to chill out a bit and not worry too much, it can become a bit obsessive....
25.gif

db

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had a couple of famile members ask me the size, but no one has ever asked me anything about the colour or clarity or cut. I think if I mentioned clarity or colour grades they''d all look at me like I''m speaking greek...

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve never gotten any questions beyond size as well, i don''t think people focus as much on clarity and color, and by people i mean non-psers
3.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Nobody, except see below, has ever asked me about the color or clarity of my stones, which are E to F VVS1 to VS1.

But that's okay because I didn't buy high color and clarity for others.
I bought it for myself.

Nobody has ever asked if they were real either, another invisible and very expensive characteristic.
But that's okay too.
I know they are REAL diamonds, what others think does not matter.

It was important to me to get REAL diamonds and high color and clarity even though I could have saved lots of money by compromising on all three and 99.99% of the public would not have noticed.

I have helped several people buy their engagement diamond in real life.
After they got a lot of diamond educated a couple have, shyly, ask about my specs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really. When I first bought it my nail lady grabbed my hand (I was getting a pedicure, else it would have stayed at home) and STARRED at it, I thought she was gonna pull out a loupe. And she looked at me and said: I know diamonds, that is a top top diamond. D color very high clarity.

Now, it''s an F VS yes, it''s colorless and completely eyeclean. But... that''s the closest I''ve come to anyone outside of a jewelry store asking me about it. The guy at Tiffany''s louped it and complimented me on it. That was nice of him.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My stone is an M color VS2 Old European Cut, 3.55 cts. I''ve had one or two people ask about color, but mostly in trying to figure out why my stone is so sparkly- I''ve had several even people ask if it was a D color, and if that was why it was so sparkly- which is funny, since a larger size M does have a bit of visible color, of course. I''ve never had anyone ask the stats aside from size, other than that. So, I''d say the average person looking at someone else''s e-ring will notice size first, sparkle (which, of course, depends on cut and if your ring''s clean!) second and really not much else at all. And your setting. A lot of people will also notice an intersting/elaborate setting too.

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 8:40:02 PM
Author: gaby06
Date: 8/3/2009 8:37:53 PM
Author: junebug17

Totally agree!!

Agreed. And how sparkly it is too.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I think its true that most people will notice the size of the diamond. I have had people asking me the size of my pear, and then second they ask about the color since its yellow. Most people think its a topaz lol. Only jewelers or trade people will ask more questions such as the color and clarity... i like to talk with them, as i don''t feel that I have to educate them. then again, i had to educte some people in a jewelry store...

Beyond the size, I dont think people care that much - and of course if it has all of the other C''s that is what will make your diamond catch peoples eye, and set in a killer setting, and of course how you carry yourself.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
My office is going through a spate of engagements and weddings, so lots of us have been ogling each other''s engagement rings and trading diamond specs. We''re all friends and there''s no competition in it, and it''s fun because we all have different cuts -- a pear, an asscher, a princess, a cushion, my OEC, and a beautiful sapphire oval. I don''t think there''s an RB in the bunch.
2.gif

Because we all have different cuts, that tends to be the #1 topic. Size isn''t really discussed. Color/clarity don''t come up much either. Mostly we''re just happy to admire and appreciate each other''s sparklies.

Other than that, I''ve never had anyone ask questions or make comments other than general compliments. Jewelers tend to remark on the OEC, which I guess is a little bit unusual in my area, but most people don''t look that closely/know the difference and seem to assume it''s an RB.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I've had a few people ask me how big it is. But most people in my circle are blissfully clueless. To them, the only thing they notice is size. When people compliment its beauty (the ring, not the stone itself) or something, I try to just be gracious and I say that we worked hard in doing our research and finding the stone. Their eyes usually start to glaze over, making it even more obvious that they have no idea what research is involved in finding a ring. I think most people I know just see a pretty ring, and the more bling, the prettier it is to them. But I am satisfied knowing that we know exactly how our stone works and the reality of different things that affect how the stone appears and how it acts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results