shape
carat
color
clarity

Off to Rome and maybe the Amalfi coast rec''s needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
My DD (maybe hubby he may have to stay here and pay for it lol) and me are meeting up with our son in Rome in June. Am looking for some recs for hotels in Rome that are suitable for DD and me if on our own and we don''t want a chain type hotel. Position somewhere in the thick of thing and about high 3 to 4 stars.
Also am going to take the kids (17 and 20) to maybe Positano or some where like that for 3 days.
Its a quick trip as my son is off travelling so we have about 10 days all up.
I have been to Italy before (Rome Tuscany and Venice) and I am mindful of what sort of things kids of this age like to do.
Shopping, a bit of culture and eating.
Please share with me any experiences recs etc!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any handy recs I just want to say have fun lucky girl I love Rome :D.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks SDL and Deelight. I know I am lucky but I want to give my daughter a lovely holiday and she is in her final year of school and working so so hard. My son is lving in Copenhagen for 6 /12 then travelling for 2 so we HAVE to see him as we miss him so much. I think Rome is a good place for all of us to have a great holiday (my dh is not much of a traveller and gets quite worried so if he comes i think he can cope with Rome lol.)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Katebar, I haven't been to Italy in 9 years but when we stayed we had a great time. We went to Rome and stayed at this hotel, it was centrally located http://www.hotelnazionale.it/english/ I loved breakfast because it was on the rooftop and you have views of the city while having your coffee and yogurt. It was a 15 min walk to the Colosseum, 25 min walk to the Vatican and 15 min walk to the Spanish Steps where are the fun shopping is, we walked to the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Novona is about 10 min walk and the Pantheon is 5 mins (a block) away from the hotel. How fun!!!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What do you feel about B&Bs? We stayed in a wonderful place called Arco d Tolomei Guest House in June of 2007.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the link for Arco de Tolomei Guest House. We had a room with a tub and shower. Best bathtub ever!!! The room was off the dining room hidden behind a large portrait.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any hotel recs (we stayed at a small B&B last year), but just wanted to say I am sooooo jealous! Rome is absolutely one of my favorite places.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kate,
Two things come to mind that might interest your kids: the Blue Grotto off Amalfi and the cable ride up to Anacapri (it''s one of the most serene experiences I''ve ever had).

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 9:38:32 PM
Author: Harriet
Kate,
Two things come to mind that might interest your kids: the Blue Grotto off Amalfi and the cable ride up to Anacapri (it''s one of the most serene experiences I''ve ever had).
Thanks Harriet the Blue Grotto is on Capri right? Thanks for the other tip!
Upgradeable thanks my husband is not that thrilled about B&B but I adore them. I will check this out.
Icekid thanks. I love Rome and feel i lived here in a previous life
1.gif
. The Pantheon was the cultural place I went to in Rome and I was so moved by this amazing place I cried like a baby.
Skippy I think you found us a hotel! This is the area I want to be in as it is so central. Thanks Darling but any other suggestions are welcome
35.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to Rome last spring with a Rick Steves tour group and stayed at a small family run hotel. Unfortunatly, my email got wiped out and I have lost the name, but the Pope showed up for Sat night Mass across the street the last night we were there. Get the Rick Steves Rome book and you won''t go wrong. He also has recommendations for the Amalfi Coast.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Aprilbaby I have boomarked hsi site.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.hotelsantaprassede.it/

I found the Hotel. It has 2 stars but it really was nice. Very convenient.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 11:14:53 PM
Author: katebar
It''s off Capri. I thought of two more places: Pompeii and the Herculaneum.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:13:11 PM

Date: 3/6/2009 11:14:53 PM
Author: katebar
It''s off Capri. I thought of two more places: Pompeii and the Herculaneum.
Ercolano (Herculaneum - but you won''t see the trainstops with that name) is better preserved, but I think Pompeii was more interesting. Could be also the order in which I saw it, which was Pompeii first. A lot of the artifacts were taken to Naples though, which is why I may not have been as impressed with Ercolano.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
If you go to Pompei be sure to go with an organised tour.Naples is such a caotic(but beautiful)city!Rome is beautiful,hubby and I go there almost every year,because there is really a lot to see,way more than the guides report!Rome is a city you have to see in every street,every corner,because there are beautiful places everywhere in the city.Just like Florence (another one of our every year places to see
9.gif
).I don''t have an hotel to suggest because usually we stay just one night and we sleep where we find a room.The only time we stayed a week,we were in a camping with bungalow,so I can''t help,sorry
15.gif
As for the other places,I was born in Tuscany,so maybe I''m partial,but there are some amazing places there!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I second many of the recommendations you''ve received--namely, Ercolano and going out to the island of Capri. My brothers and I were 21 (me), 18, and 11 when we went to the Amalfi Coast, and we had a wonderful time. Ercolano was really interesting; we just explored on our own.

The greatest thing we did was rent a boat ourselves at the Marina Grande in Capri and motor around the island. We stopped to swim, check out the yachts, and enjoy the views. We went swimming by the Blue Grotto (with a ton of other similarly-minded tourists). Oh, and we took a hydrofoil there and back, which was lots of fun as well. The funicular that goes to the top of the island is a fun activity, but my dad made us trek all the way back down to the marina, which was a much longer walk than we thought it would be.

We stayed above the town of Massa Lubrense, at a hotel called Gocce di Capri. It has amazing views, a pool, and large suites suitable for families. The downside is that it is pretty far from the cities/sights.

My FI and I are going to be in Italy in June as well for our honeymoon
1.gif
. I can''t stay away for long . . .

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Harriet and Tgal we will definitely do one or both of these.
Asu I love that you go to Italy every year! I adore Tuscany and though I have only been to the region once I ''felt'' as if I had come home. This is from an Australian girl of Irish English Polish an French heritage but somehow I know Italy is in my soul!
I can''t just ''wing'' the hotel as its just DD (who''s 17) and me going and meeting up with my son in Rome so I need to know where we are going.
Dh is staying behind to pay for it
41.gif
Kitty bean thanks for the rec''s on the Amalfi Coast. Probably will stay in Sorrento but we will do all the sites and the kids would love the boating.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:34:05 PM
Author: Asu
If you go to Pompei be sure to go with an organised tour.Naples is such a caotic(but beautiful)city!Rome is beautiful,hubby and I go there almost every year,because there is really a lot to see,way more than the guides report!Rome is a city you have to see in every street,every corner,because there are beautiful places everywhere in the city.Just like Florence (another one of our every year places to see
9.gif
).I don''t have an hotel to suggest because usually we stay just one night and we sleep where we find a room.The only time we stayed a week,we were in a camping with bungalow,so I can''t help,sorry
15.gif
As for the other places,I was born in Tuscany,so maybe I''m partial,but there are some amazing places there!
No kidding. DH and I were stuck in Naples for two days. In the summer and in the middle of a garbage strike. What do you suggest seeing in Tuscany?

Asu

Shiny_Rock
eheh,I''m italian,so for me and hubby is really important to see how much as we can of our country,because there is so much to see and enjoy here!Even if sometimes I wish that people here would treasure our country a bit more than they do now..Tuscany is such a friendly region,everything is slower than here in Como,so when I go to visit my relatives I really feel back home
9.gif
I never get used to the different lifestyle,and I think I will never do,lol.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:07:11 PM
Date: 3/10/2009 6:34:05 PM

Author: Asu

9.gif
15.gif
No kidding. DH and I were stuck in Naples for two days. In the summer and in the middle of a garbage strike. What do you suggest seeing in Tuscany?
Lerici is beautiful and it only take a morning to visit.Sarzana is near and is a pretty little city with a lot of medieval castles and church.Near Sarzana there is even the Malaspina castle,where Dante wrote the "divina commedia".Colonnata is pretty near,and if you like to eat is the best place
9.gif
be sure you try farinata,testaroli and panigacci before leave!This area is at the highest part of the region,so you can easily reach any other city starting from here.Siena,Pisa,Viareggio,Arezzo,Lucca,and Florence,sure.You can even visit the Chianti area,for the wine,and the near areas that have a lot of little villages.there are a lot of other places,but right now I remeber only the versilia area,where you can find Forte dei Marmi.Is pretty near to Sarzana and there is a lot of entertainment here
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds good. Thanks! Does Tuscany also have burrata? I could live on that, basil, tomato, olive oil and some bread. My friend invited me to Marche this summer, but I don''t know how much there is to see there.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Burrata is traditional from Puglia
1.gif
I love bread too!So much that I''ve married a baker
9.gif
And the pasta with pesto,a lot.my grandfather is from Genova,so he make an incredible pesto.
You know,here there are really a lot of things to see everywhere.I''ve never been to marche,but my MIL does.My IL usually have a little trip once a month (like just a weekend)to see some particular or typical places.Maybe I''ll ask her tomorrow what she would suggest to see there
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, pasta fresca. Thanks for asking about Marche. I'm also dying to see Lake Como!

Kate darling,
Sorry for the threadjack.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results