shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC pair received but I’m unsure if I should keep them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I also question what color they really are. Typically against a black background, M/N should appear very white. These look a lot more like my QR and ST in all of the pictures. My three stone has a 1.57 GIA N center and it has never looked that tinted in any type of lighting. I see that the yg in your band in picture 3 looks normal color, so the diamonds should not be that yellow.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m back with too many questions.
Take the cost of shipping as education tuition.
Nothing wrong with that.
What do you feel about the color of these two top down and from the side? Not necessarily what GIA color you’d think they are but do you like it?
Do you have a loupe? What do you think of the inclusions that are there and are any surface reaching anywhere? Any girdle issues? Not necessarily what GIA grade they would be, but what’s there and does it bother you?
What’s most important to you of the following to achieve the ring you want?
Diameter, table/crown, color, facet pattern, clarity?
Which of those are the most negotiable?
These questions about how you feel about the two you currently have in your hand is going to help you immensely with your continued search, and giving guidance to this vendor or another vendor.
My learned experience with these vendors?
Trust but verify - especially when you aren’t paying top dollar GIA report high color /clarity combos and vetted pairs.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I just want to say I really appreciate you all! None of my friends are quite as particular or obsessive as I am so it’s so nice to have a group to throw ideas to/ ask questions to/ get feedback from.

@Rfisher I may miss some questions because I’m on on mobile. But I don’t really care about color too much. As long as the price is right for the color it is. I mostly want a good match and preferably sizable. I’m not super picky about the rest as long as they’re pretty diamonds. I indiscriminately love almost everything when it comes to rings but I am particular about things matching. I have a loupe packed away somewhere.

I mostly saw these were a nice price and figured let’s do it. They’ve got another pair that’s slightly smaller, higher color, but they described them as “generally eye clean.” I’ve asked to see them but generally eye clean worries me...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say I really appreciate you all! None of my friends are quite as particular or obsessive as I am so it’s so nice to have a group to throw ideas to/ ask questions to/ get feedback from.

@Rfisher I may miss some questions because I’m on on mobile. But I don’t really care about color too much. As long as the price is right for the color it is. I mostly want a good match and preferably sizable. I’m not super picky about the rest as long as they’re pretty diamonds. I indiscriminately love almost everything when it comes to rings but I am particular about things matching. I have a loupe packed away somewhere.

I mostly saw these were a nice price and figured let’s do it. They’ve got another pair that’s slightly smaller, higher color, but they described them as “generally eye clean.” I’ve asked to see them but generally eye clean worries me...

You want certed stones, period. The description on these is too vague and "generally eye-clean?" What does that even mean?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want certed stones, period. The description on these is too vague and "generally eye-clean?" What does that even mean?

I agree, especially since I wouldn’t be surprised if the large culet stone in this current pair is an I1 due to clouds. Either that or the cut is next level horrible and I can’t tell from the pics.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher They’ve got another pair that’s slightly smaller, higher color, but they described them as “generally eye clean.” I’ve asked to see them but generally eye clean worries me...

It’s good that you already realize that there’s quite the possibility these are priced at vendors assessment of clarity/color and not what a GIA would peg them at.
Plus - if the other pair you mention is the ones I think they are - there’s generally a reason they are !multiple times! stating the stones are well suited for earrings.
You want a side by side ring, and you’ve stated you are picky about them matching.
I’d pass on this ‘opportunity’ to pay them shipping both ways to see these.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with the previous posters that you ultimately want some guarantee that the color and clarity of your diamonds match the price. However, I would at this point look at ALL matched pairs from Alex or Adam even if they don’t have a lab report. If you are color insensitive, at this point I would screen for cut and “match” then worry about everything else.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, I would at this point look at ALL matched pairs from Alex or Adam even if they don’t have a lab report. If you are color insensitive, at this point I would screen for cut and “match” then worry about everything else.
Yes this!
This is where the trust but verify comes in.
If you’ve seen my OEC threads, you’ll see that a very well respected old cut vendor advised me there were no troubling surface reaching inclusions. There was a canyon running across the crown and table!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't spend more money to buy from this vendor. I think you've gotten a good idea of the quality of item that is on offer, as well as what their descriptions really mean. Given that you know that you are particular about cut and about how well matched the stones are, I would seek out a vendor who is able to work with you to provide that, even if it takes a bit of time to find something suitable in your budget range.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean, two ~ 1.8ct diamonds for $9k is a very low price per carat. So it isn't at all surprising that they are not very nice stones and/or have color and clarity much worse than advertised.

Sometimes when I am considering diamonds without lab reports from vendors who are experienced diamond sellers, I use the price to help me figure out the "true" grades ;)2 A 1.8ct OEC for $4500 is going to be very tinted, low clarity, and probably poorly cut. Nice cuts with decent color and clarity in this size from a diamond vendor can be twice that price, or at least a few thousand more.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If you will not be obligated to accept the result of the recut, why not. The two have seriously different types of brilliance to reconcile.

Does the colour not match table down?

I would not mind not matched diamonds in a T&M as long as they'd make sense...

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I mean, two ~ 1.8ct diamonds for $9k is a very low price per carat. So it isn't at all surprising that they are not very nice stones and/or have color and clarity much worse than advertised.

Sometimes when I am considering diamonds without lab reports from vendors who are experienced diamond sellers, I use the price to help me figure out the "true" grades ;)2 A 1.8ct OEC for $4500 is going to be very tinted, low clarity, and probably poorly cut. Nice cuts with decent color and clarity in this size from a diamond vendor can be twice that price, or at least a few thousand more.

Agreed. It may take a really, really long time for the perfect deal to come along that ticks all the boxes for a bargain price (there are no real bargains). Perhaps look at smaller, well cut stones or increase your budget for more options.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are really badly cut, people ask all the time if stones have fish eye when often they don't these do, so the cut means they aren't fireballs and the colour is probably worse than claimed.... again sellers often frequently over estimate the colour to sell things compared to GIA.

Send them back, you would be better with smaller better cut stones with more sparkle. A better cut stone will give you edge to edge brightness ie appear larger anyway.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’ve requested a return. I’ll probably wait until I can find a good deal on a pair of OECs. I like browsing through pages of diamonds/ listings, so I don’t think I’ll be asking any vendors for assistance. It probably sounds foolish but that’s all the fun for me!

In the meantime I’ll just play around with my current diamond. Sell it? Trade it in for a CBI? I’m not sure yet. But I’ll have some kind of project going on.

Q

Queenie60

I’ve requested a return. I’ll probably wait until I can find a good deal on a pair of OECs. I like browsing through pages of diamonds/ listings, so I don’t think I’ll be asking any vendors for assistance. It probably sounds foolish but that’s all the fun for me!

In the meantime I’ll just play around with my current diamond. Sell it? Trade it in for a CBI? I’m not sure yet. But I’ll have some kind of project going on.
@winnietucker - I'm glad that you decided to return the stones. They didn't seem to be that great in my eyes. There is a pair out there just waiting for you! And it's good to take your time so that you're absolutely sure. Good luck with your search! I always enjoy a good hunt.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
even for earings i don't think they are close enough in colour
its way too much money not to love them
send them back or you'r always going to be second guessing your self

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results