• Old European Cut?

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • Princess Diamond with Sapphires?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

musing

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

Have been looking at vintage/antique rings and found these beauties, but can only afford one. Always loved the OEC, but the uniqueness of the Princess target ring is quite interesting.

The OEC is very classic and elegant, but already have an engagement ring. Although, who says I can't wear it on the other hand. I do have to resize this though.

The sapphire ring is quite low profile, so it is practical in that sense, but also unique in it's design. Don't think I've seen one quite like it and would easily work as a dress ring.

Anyway, curious as to what people's opinions on these. I love them both for the reasons above, so it's already hard for me to leave one. If only I had an endless pot of gold.

Screenshot_20190907-062454_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20190907-094844_Etsy.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a hard one.
Did you check the sapphire ring halo carefully. See if any have some “wiggle”. Sometimes the setting can become “loose” and that’s when sapphires might start falling out. Also the sapphire at “5.30” position has a chip. Are they natural or lab?
The diamond ring is more substantial, a better made ring and the diamonds are lovely.
I really love the sapphire ring but with the chipped sapphire and maybe some looseness in the setting, I’d choose the diamond ring.
And with the miligrain rim, the sapphire ring can’t be repaired or the chipped one replaced as it will wreck the rim setting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you going to wear it? The OEC will stack with other bands if that is important to you. I've had a princess and I've also had an OEC and I personally prefer the OEC but you have to go with what you love and will get the most enjoyment out of.

Also consider what Bron pointed out.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the sapphire at “1 o’clock” top right corner also appears chipped or sunken in the setting plus the shoulder set diamonds, are all 3 still there, it looks like the middle one is missing or “mashed”?
So, I’d pass on the sapphire ring.
With a princess cut diamond it’s a “modern” replica of the Art Deco style (and that’s perfectly fine) but I think it’s had a hard life and is showing sign of damage.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I personally do not like the idea of a deco style with a stone cut that didn't exist at the time.

I much prefer the oec.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
At first glance I say OEC all the way and thats coming from a colored stone gal.
Please take my opinion with a grain of salt but something about the sapphire ring just seems so lackluster and boring.
I would spend my money on the OEC.

musing

Rough_Rock
Hi! Thanks for all and the responses. Sorry for not replying sooner. Been crazy busy.

@Bron357 - yes the sapphires are natural and the sapphire at the top is a little sunk in to the setting. On second inspection, the one in the bottom right corner is also sunk into the setting as well. The chip in the photo must have been dirt, because I couldn't see it, although looking at the photo, it really does look like there is one there. Admittedly, the sapphire ring did look far more 'worn' than the OEC, but the setting was just so intriguing.

The comment about repair/replacement for the ring is also something I forgot consider, which I feel is important.

Any way, I've put the OEC on hold.

Thanks again for all of your advice and very much appreciate it. Love these forums and all the wonderful enthusiasts!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC all the way but I am an OEC girl. I find the facets of OECs more beautiful and chunkalcious and swoonworthy. But it is a personal decision. Oh yay just read you put the OEC on hold. Hope it is the OEC of your dreams.:appl:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Is there a feather in the OEC? I am not sure what am I seeing.

The square ring is a beautiful design that did not get enough attention. I would LOVE one done right!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results