shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC or OMC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hey all! I just got a lovely old cut diamond from ebay, and it was listed as an OEC, but the facet patterning is more OMCish to me. I figured I''d post over here in RockyTalky because lots of you old cut experts like to hang out here. So, if you can tell from my not-so-great pictures...enlighten me! Do I have an OEC, as it was described by the ebay seller, or is it actually an OMC? Either way, I love my little oldie-but-goodie, but I''d just like to know how to describe it accurately!

Here''s the info:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omg-an-oec.109536/

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Since it looks pretty round, I''d call it an OEC I think. Could very well be an early one that still has characteristics of an OMC. If I remember right, the difference is mostly that what we call OECs now were cut after they invented the girdling machine, and thus are round, and OMCs were done by hand and usually aren''t round. Still I''m sure there was lots of overlap, and smaller stones especially can show more chunky facets it seems like.

It''s very pretty- I love the setting!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So hard to tell from the pics, especially since the diamond is mounted. I would guess early OEC, but it''s really difficult to know for sure without seeing it in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s really hard to tell because I can''t make out the facet pattern clearly.
15.gif
I''m sorry...

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I would guess oec as well. It's funny, because I recently bought an oec off of ebay that was sold to me as an omc, but I feel it's an oec. It can get a bit tricky, because I've seen some rustic oec and some very round and symmetrical omc.

oec6prong.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to all who responded! I wish I could get better pictures, but my camera dates back to my college days (about 8 years ago), and while it does the trick for everyday stuff, it falls short in the macro mode. A few things that may not be notable in the pictures: the table and culet are both a bit off-center, and the table facet edges are not all the same size/angles (it''s not a perfect octagon). It definitely looks like it could have been cut by hand.

Sounds like it''s most similar to an early OEC then. The facet patterning looks very similar to this beautiful OEC.
But it''s also similar to this one, which is described as an antique cushion. Based on this page, the crown is definitely the same pattern as the OEC, but I can''t tell about the pavilion because of the setting. I looked at some other antique settings, and I can guess the setting is circa 1930, either that or a modern replica of a 1930s-style setting. I''ll see if the seller knows. It would be really cool if the whole ring together is an antique, but I''ll take a stone with history, even if it''s a modern ring.

Coati, your stone is gorgeous!
30.gif
Some day I hope to be able to afford a nice big one like that, but my cute little one will have to do for now!

Any other ideas/opinions? Keep ''em coming!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Aw thanks Jstar!

I love your stone and the ring! Which hand/finger will you wear it?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I got it sized for my ring finger, and the only one that''s empty right now is the right, so that''s where it''s going! But I may wear it on my left hand when I''m traveling and don''t want to wear my e-ring. I got a cheapo fake for that, but it might be nice to wear something real, just less conspicuous than my e-ring.

I messaged the ebay seller to ask if they knew any of the history behind the ring, including whether the setting is a real antique or a replica. Hopefully they''ll know something!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:06:29 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I would say early Old European Cut, circa 1905.

WOW, thanks Richard! That would mean it has a ~100 year history...that''s so cool!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results