shape
carat
color
clarity

Oec Diamond, Please help!

Rubismom

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm new! Not only here on this forum, but with all the diamond buying also. Oh, and I'm Swedish,so please excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes :angel:

Now to my question. I'm having an repro Art Deco ring made, white gold bezel setting with an emerald halo. Very pretty. My jeweller has found me a pretty centre oec, 1.16 I colour, Si1 clarity. I like this, I really do, but then I found an old ring with an online vendor in Sweden. Oec diamonds are really unappreciated in Sweden and you can often get a good bargain. The stone is 2ct, K/Si2, and I can get it for $3000, which is less than I would pay for the 1.16. And I love bigger, chunkier stones.
But I need to purchase it unseen (as will I do with the other stone, but I trust my jeweller), and the pics are crappy.
The color is obviously warm, but I'm not looking for a bright white stone, and I kind of love the golden hue it has going on. I can see that the culet is a bit wonky, and worn down. The setting is in a horrible state, but I'm not going to use that anyways. Please help me! Do you believe it to be a good purchase? Not looking for an investment, but for a stone to love forever. Do you think the yellow will play well with the green of the emeralds? Do you think that the white gold bezel setting and green halo will make the yellow tint more or less visible? Is the inclusions too obvious? Does the stone look flat to you? Soooo many questions :confused:

_35344.jpg

_35345.jpg

_35346.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
What are the inclusions - if they are not life threatening at $3000 i say go for it.

Rubismom

Rough_Rock
Thank you for you reply.

It is listed as a si2, I do not think that the inclusions are that visible in this picture, maybe one at the right corner? But as I said, I have not seen it in person. The vendor tend to be honest, but it lacks in information. But they do not misrepresent or over sell their merchandise.
What do you feel about the Color?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a K OEC and prefer the subtle warmth - it adds to the beauty of the color & light flashes.

Rubismom

Rough_Rock
Thank you jimmianne, i do love the slight warmth as well. Do you have a wg setting? Does the tint ever make the diamond feel dirty or dull?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a GIA K SI2 or an EGL K SI2 or the opinion of the jeweler it is a K SI2. I ask because opinions vary and can do so greatly.

Is there a return policy on this diamond? If you are purchasing it sight unseen I think you should have the option of returning it if it doesn't live up to your expectations otherwise it can be a very expensive mistake. It is impossible to evaluate it accurately from a few static pictures. Seeing it IRL is best but if you cannot do that a return policy needs to exist to be fair to you.

If you post your requirements and budget I know PSers can help find you some less risky options.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take it out of that setting. I think that setting has seen it's days. It does not look to be in very good shape.

Rubismom

Rough_Rock
Thank you Missy. No it is not graded by GIA, but by an third party gemologist and certified appraiser. Swedish stones rarely come with an GIA cert when being antiques. I think it's becoming more common nowadays, but since both Gia and EGL are American, they are rarely used except for newer stones, or stones bought abroad. I do understand your point, I will try to at least get a video of the ring, because no, it is not returnable.
Do you know if it is possible to take an ideal scope pic of a mounted stone?

Tyty333: I absolutely agree, and I write in my op that the setting is horrible and I plan on getting a custom made Art Deco repro made. :angel:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Although the photos are taken in an environment that favors showing color, I'd estimate this is significantly warmer than a K, and may have a brown-yellow tint as well (rather than straight yellow) which for some is a deal-breaker. (Personally, I prefer brown to yellow in warm stones!) But $3000 is a stunning deal for a 2ct that isn't cloudy or peppered with inclusions, even if it really is O/P color and I1 but with inclusions hid by the bezel... any tips for your PS friends on how to find bargain unloved Swedish OECs? :Up_to_something:

And, I have to say, I actually LOVE the original setting. I know it's neither here nor there since the OP plans to reset it, but I love its simplicity and kinda want to take a toothbrush to it to see how it shines up. I saved it in my inspiration folder for a high-crown colored stone. :D

ETA: To the OP's questions, it does look a bit shallow for typical OECs and may in fact be lighter than its stated weight (assuming weight was estimated in the setting), so go based on measurements to decide if it's the right size for you. I'd have to see it out of the setting & clean to be really confident that the color will work well with emeralds - could be just my monitor, but I swear I see brown in there. Any other PSers with the same impression? If pairing with emeralds, I'd stick to yellow without any brown. A nice compromise is unplated 18k white gold, which eyeballs as white but isn't as stark a contrast. And I can't see any inclusions in it at all, maybe someone with a more critical eye would but I'm happily clarity-insensitive!

Rubismom

Rough_Rock
Think you evergreen! Such good points. I have decided to take a trip to the city where the ring is, before I make a decision I should have seen it in person. I am a bit concerned about the brown flashes. I do like brown in diamonds, but as you said, maybe not with emeralds...

Hehe the unloved old cuts are hard to come by, but cheap when you do. :Up_to_something: just have to keep an eye out at every antique store you visit and you can make a good deal.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am glad to hear that you plan to visit and see the diamond in person. Computer monitors, camera lenses and photographic environments simply introduce too many variables to get a reliable impression of color via photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results