shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC diamond earrings price

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
I did a search and didn’t see a thread with my particular question so hope it is ok to ask here

I am looking for OEC diamond stud earrings and wondering what price would be reasonable for 1.5 tcw L color and SI clarity? It isn’t certified. I have a lead on a pair that looks to be facing white and very nice cut and nicely paired. So hard to compare OEC prices as there are so many different factors! Ballpark prices would help. TIA!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I use OWD to generally compare prices for old cuts.

THE STONE​

1.52 Carats
Old European Cut
L
VS2/SI1
5.9mm
GIA Report

THE SETTING​

14k yellow gold bezel set earrings consisting of a GIA .78 L/VS2 Old European Cut & GIA .74 L/SI1 Old European Cut.

$4,400​

STOCK# OWC15303

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
I use OWD to generally compare prices for old cuts.

THE STONE​

1.52 Carats
Old European Cut
L
VS2/SI1
5.9mm
GIA Report

THE SETTING​

14k yellow gold bezel set earrings consisting of a GIA .78 L/VS2 Old European Cut & GIA .74 L/SI1 Old European Cut.

$4,400​

STOCK# OWC15303

Thank you!! Would the price be less if they are uncertified? I have no idea what the price difference is for certified vs uncertified

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I would say yes the price should be lower if uncertified. Because you do not know what you are truly getting. They could say L SI1... but in reality it could be N-O SI2 or worse. So it's a bit hard to compared uncertified things.

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
I was about to link the same pair from OWD! These are gorgeous and I've thought about buying them but purchased another pair through a special they had last month :) a fabulous experience, would highly recommend them if you are considering OEC studs.

Yes, *typically* diamonds without a grading report will cost less than diamonds with, which makes good sense. Some dealers say they are passing on the savings of eschewing the grading report to you, however, I would caution that it is much more difficult to know what you are buying without a GIA/AGS grading report. So I would definitely start with docking the color grading/clarity to be on the conservative side... after all, if they really were L/VS2, why wouldn't the dealer send them to get a GIA grading report so they could charge the premium?

How would you verify that the earrings you are interested in are indeed 1.5ctw L color and SI clarity? And what would you do if an independent appraiser arrived at a different conclusion? What's most important is that you like what you are buying but I think it bears repeating that there can be a real discrepancy between the grade sellers allege and what GIA would grade, and the odds are generally in favor of the sellers vs. you getting a bargain.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you can send to GIA and they will grade for a fee of course.

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
Maybe a technical distinction here, but GIA won't appraise your diamonds/earrings, which entails estimating a value. I believe consumers/non-trade can send diamonds to GIA for grading reports (strongly suggested you cover insured shipping both ways). GIA will also only grade unmounted diamonds, per their website--not sure if your pair is set or unset.

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
I have been watching the OEC stud market for a few months and it's tough to find a good deal. One exception is that Sin City Finds on ig posted 4 pairs of old cut studs today with ctw 1-1.2 (6 prong YG) for around $1500-1600 which was an incredible price. They all sold out within a minute.

In the past, OECs have sold at a discount to MRBs with comparable specs, but old cuts are so popular right now I think the pricing for stones with good faceting is roughly equivalent to well-cut MRBs. If you are buying without a grading certificate, I would make sure you trust the seller AND they have a great return policy.

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
I have been watching the OEC stud market for a few months and it's tough to find a good deal. One exception is that Sin City Finds on ig posted 4 pairs of old cut studs today with ctw 1-1.2 (6 prong YG) for around $1500-1600 which was an incredible price. They all sold out within a minute.

In the past, OECs have sold at a discount to MRBs with comparable specs, but old cuts are so popular right now I think the pricing for stones with good faceting is roughly equivalent to well-cut MRBs. If you are buying without a grading certificate, I would make sure you trust the seller AND they have a great return policy.

It seems like OECs can be lower color but still have a higher price than if it was MRB with same color. I see a lot of K/L/Ms where I am surprised the price is as high as it is

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
I think that's primarily a function of two factors: more people have a preference/greater tolerance for lower colors in OECs (more relative demand than for lower colors in MRBs) and there are generally fewer OECs for sale so it's a "thinner" market. I also think that well-priced OECs tend to get snatched up quickly because they're so hot right now, so the ones that are still available tend to be on the pricier side. I wouldn't necessarily peg the asking price for available OEC studs as the prevailing market rate.

Some enjoy "hunting" for a well matched, well-cut pair of OECs for a good price and others don't mind paying a premium for the convenience of a readily available pair. If you want to get the best idea of a good ballpark price for a pair of OEC studs with your desired specs, I would reach out to Adam at OWD and tell him what you are looking for, I bet he can give you a very competitive quote for a beautiful set of studs :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rainbowstarry don't buy uncertified old cuts unless you really trust the vendor and his/her eye.

If I was to purchase uncertified diamonds they would only be from Adam at Old World Diamonds because he is ethical and I trust his eye.

But, and this is a big but, I trust my eye so I would feel comfortable with what I was purchasing. Without a GIA/AGS report you just do not know what you are getting unless you are pretty good at evaluating color and clarity and cut with your eye and a loupe and perhaps an ASET or you can completely trust the vendor from whom you are purchasing the diamond. And if you don't know what you are getting you cannot know if it is indeed a fair price.

Part of the fun is the search so enjoy the hunt and hope you find the OEC diamonds of your dreams. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results