shape
carat
color
clarity

OBs and Medical Professionals - what does this mean?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got off the phone with my OB. I had a miscarriage about a month ago and had a D&E on September 6th. They performed testing on samples which showed "doubling of all fetal chromosomes". She went on to say that basically the testing wasn't of any value in determining the cause of miscarriage and mentioned that it may be because of the way the sample was *grown*.

Anyone have any clue what any of this means (with the very limited information I gave you!)? I'll probably call her back for more information. I've been having a really hard time dealing with this and, anytime it's mentioned, my brain turns to mush and I cannot have a coherent conversation. So, of course, I was just nodding and saying "Uh huh" whenever she said something...

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found this on Dr. Wikipedia. Maybe this is what's talking about?

Polyploidy occurs in humans in the form of triploidy, with 69 chromosomes (sometimes called 69,XXX), and tetraploidy with 92 chromosomes (sometimes called 92,XXXX). Triploidy, usually due to polyspermy, occurs in about 2–3% of all human pregnancies and ~15% of miscarriages.[citation needed] The vast majority of triploid conceptions end as miscarriage and those that do survive to term typically die shortly after birth. In some cases survival past birth may occur longer if there is mixoploidy with both a diploid and a triploid cell population present.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom - It sounds like that's what she was trying to say. I'd probably call back to confirm and also to ask what she meant by results not being clear because of "the way the sample was grown." My m/c was the result of triploidy. When my RE explained that to me, my understanding was that there was no question that this chromosomal abnormality was the cause of the loss. I really don't understand the how the sample was grown comment, unless she was trying to say it was a random event??

I'm so sorry for your loss, Puppmom. I hope the insight as to the cause of your loss brings you some closure. I know it's not easy.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called back - didn't talk to the doc yet but the nurse tried to expand. She said something about sometimes it's difficult to get a good sample with an early m/c and it's possible that they got tissue other than fetal tissue either instead of or in addition to fetal tissue. Sometimes, this can make it *look like* this doubling thing happened.

Who knows - bottom line (I think) is that it was probably random and, if we decide to TTC in the future, it hopefully won't impact our chances of having a successful pregnancy.

Now if only I could get my head together! In due time I guess...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results