shape
carat
color
clarity

NYT on the Diamond Business

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must have heard most of the content on PS... but one NYT article brings the facts together nicely.

Funny quotes too
4.gif

"i] of you>>
31.gif

Martin Rappaport

"The discounters and Internet sites do not sell just cheap diamonds. The average price for an engagement ring on bluenile.com is close to $5,000 - about twice the national average - and one sold for $257,000 last fall"
Mark Vadon, Blue Nile''s founder

... interestingly, PS''s records do not fall far from that average.

One number seems weird: they say the price of rough has gone up 25% last year (not clear if 2003 or 2004 in text). What are they counting ?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Nice find, Ana. To avoid registartion, guys, try this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/09/business/09diamonds.html

Mark Vadon said yesterday during the webcast that Blue Nile has 2.7% of the US engagement ring market. I guess I was correct that only about 5% of the diamond sales (engagement rings) are done via the Internet.

This chart is from NYT article Competition Is Forever Amaising how big WalMart share is. This is probably bigger threat to independent jewelers than the Internet.

diamonds_share.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the chart. Mark has done a great job. All his hard work has paid off. He had a really good artical written on him in Forbes.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
What sources do you think make up the "other" category from the chart that Lenoid posted? Do you think Ebay counta as internet sales?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
argh, all the links require registration. Anyone just copy and paste the text?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 2
6.gif
3:58 PM
Author: codex57
That would be a no-no
38.gif
21.gif

I registered and haven''t get any promotions yet (maybe because I selected the lowest income bracket)
37.gif

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
" Mark has done a great job. All his hard work has paid off. He had a really good artical written on him in Forbes"

Well, the stock spiked pretty well today. Despite missing expectations, too. The timing of the article didn't hurt anything.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 2
6.gif
3:58 PM
Author: codex57
Where''s Deb/AGBF when you need her??!!
9.gif

I heard part of the Blue Nile conference call yesterday, Leonid. BN wants to become a high end "Brand". They are dropping all "Holiday" types of sales at the $35 price point as they didn''t do well in that market compared to Wal-mart and Overstock. WM and Overstock rule in the lower end of the market and that''s fine with BN. They are after the high end consumer. It was also interesting that BN does little advertising in some parts of the world, the UK was specifically mentioned. And generally speaking, BN relies on word of mouth and repeat customers for the growth they''ve realized. Rather interesting stuff.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results