shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Trip for a newbie-tell me where to stay

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hello PSers :wavey:

DH & I are going to NY for the 1st time in two weeks. We are pulling our son (13 yrs old) out of school for a three days and taking him with. This is a mini vacation pleasure trip and I haven't booked anything yet. So can any of you seasoned travelers give me advice on where to stay? We have a very middle of the road budget and want to see the 9/11 Memorial, Central park, Statue of Liberty.
Maybe Times Square. We can maybe stretch the trip to 4 days total.

Which airport should we fly into? We live minutes from O'Hare so will be departing from there.
What area should I look for a hotel in?
Can anyone recommend a nice hotel?

Unfortunately I won't have very much time in the diamond district if at all. Thinking maybe I could go to Greenwich Jewelers because I visit their website all the time and then I would get a chance to see all the favorite designer pieces in person, Single Stone, Bev K, Sholdt, Van Craynest, etc.

TIA,
Woofmama

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
No advice, but can you bump it back till the 29th?? Maybe bring along that gorgeous eternity of yours and I can look longingly at it IRL??? Pretty please?? :bigsmile: We havent finalized our hotel yet either... going thru priceline.com tho.

We are def doing the 9/11 memorial and be sure to book your time on line.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it's your first time then near times square is a good call. It's touristy but hey that's what it's there for!

I dunno about the 9/11 memorial...I haven't done the tour and I don't think I will. It is sad enough just looking at it and walking around... and going to the memorial shop (it's got things that were found on ground zero etc, and lots of memories). Up to you though.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Woof:

Well, it really depends on what you mean by "see". If you just want to ride past the Statue of Liberty, you can take the Staten Island Ferry for free to Staten Island and then immediate come back to Manhattan on the return trip - that's about an hour round trip with lines, etc. If by "seeing" you mean spending more time in actually visiting Liberty Island and/or touring some of the statue herself, that's probably more a few hours' excursion. I'd recommend getting tix in advance if possible to avoid the lines, which can be long even off-season.

Statue of Liberty and 9/11 memorial are both downtown, so probably would make a good full day between them if you really want to spend time at them. Times square is in midtown (42nd to 47th-ish), and I'd highly recommend a trip to the top of Rockefeller Center as well (50th street). - gorgeous overview of the city from the observation deck. Radio City Music Hall is in this area as well. Empire State Building is around 33rd in Midtown as well if you're interested in that.

Central Park is up around 56th-ish, so you'd probably want to do this and any surrounding attractions on a day separate from Downtown or Midtown days.

As for where to stay, I'd check any potential booking against the Bed Bug Registry (www.bedbugregistry.com). When I stay in the City, one of my top choices is the Hilton Garden Inn on w. 35th street. It's usually reasonably priced compared to many Times Square options, and it's clean. It's also well located in being close to several subway lines, which makes it easier to get around. The 1 goes right down to WTC and Staten Island Ferry terminal, and it's a couple of blocks to walk to catch the 6 to Chinatown/Little Italy.

Sounds like fun - enjoy.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Incidentally, I am in NYC on vacation at the moment and am staying at Club Quarters (the WTC location). Not sure what your budget is, but the rate is about $300 per night (even less because I booked it on Hotwire, but the catch is you find out the identity of the hotel after you've paid for it). I love the amenities here, the room overlooks the 9/11 Memorial, the ferry to the Statue of Liberty is within walking distance (15 min.), and you can take the subway to Central Park (25 min.).

ETA: I flew into La Guardia and hired a towncar to get to the hotel ($40).

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi said:
No advice, but can you bump it back till the 29th?? Maybe bring along that gorgeous eternity of yours and I can look longingly at it IRL??? Pretty please?? :bigsmile: We havent finalized our hotel yet either... going thru priceline.com tho.

Enerchi I would love to hang out with you in NY! I would even let you wear my band if I can try on your beautiful three stone 8-)
There isn't any flexibility for my DH to change his vacation week. If you ever come to Chicago we could spend loads of time downtown window shopping in the diamond district :naughty:
I will check out priceline for the hotel. Thanks for the tip on prebooking a trip to the 9/11 memorial.
I hope you enjoy your trip!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hi aljdewey :wavey:

Thanks for all the great info, very helpful indeed! I will check out the Hilton you recommended. And thanks for the bedbug site...the thought of bringing those home with me is horrific :-o
I am going to print your post as reference. Being that this will be a short trip I think we need to narrow down which attractions are on our must see list. We are trying to make this trip a balance of fun & education for my son.I appreciate the all of your advice.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deia, Thanks for the insight on the 9/11 site. I'm a very emotional/compassionate person and know I wouldn't be able to get through the tour without lots of tears. Perhaps we will just go through the gift shop area. I will have to discuss with DH.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mogster, That location sounds perfect. We will definately consider your recommendation. Also thanks for the heads up on getting a car from the airport. Very helpful info. I hope you are enjoying your trip!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Woofmama - I adore NY and remember my first trip so vividly. You'll have a marvelous time! And everything you do will be educational for your son - just being there expands your world view.

I have no advice on where to stay (except perhaps a reminder that wherever you stay the rooms will be teeny tiny so be prepared!). But I did want to say that I'm in Chicago too and I really think we should do a Chicago gtg! Because I want to see yor amazing ec band and solitaire when you get it!!! :love:

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I live in NY so no specific recommendations for a hotel but one general one. Book now - two weeks is not a lot of time in advance to get a good choice of NY hotels on a budget - especially with a party of three.

For sightseeing, the Museum of Natural History on the upper West Side is a reliable big hit with tween boys and its very educational.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a good where to stay resource.... but we had the absolute best pizza ever!!! They are on the top 10 list for Pizza in NY (I'm from Florida but I would fly to NY for this pizza..)

Keste in Greenwich

Crazy good pizza I get my own and refuse to share!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may not be your thing but my #1 favorite place to visit in NY is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
It is in Central Park.

http://www.metmuseum.org/

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom- I'm sure we will have a wonderful time. We are looking forward to this trip. I would love to have a Chicago GTG and you can play with my band and ring if I can play with your AVC band-it's yummy :naughty: Maybe early spring will work? Lets try to get something going.

AmeliaG-I know we are down to the wire on this :-o So hard for me to get away with owning a store. Plan on booking everything this weekend. Will put the museum on the list, I'm sure my son will enjoy it.

Mayk- Thanks for pizza recommendation. I would love to try some NY pizza, I understand it's very different from our famous Chicago pizza so have to indulge while there. I'm putting it on the must do list :lickout:

Kenny- Thanks for Met Museum suggestion! I know I would love to see the Andy Warhol exhibit. Hope we can fit that into our schedule.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
There's no point to staying close to the attractions (WTC is in a boring, empty, office area), just as long as you're close to the subway. If an attraction is 10 minutes on the subway, or 20 what real difference is it? You should stay in an area that is relatively safe, convenient and enjoyable for evening walks. I prefer the Central Park South area myself, it has all of that.

The Helmsley Park Lane is in CPS and it's pretty reasonable for the neighborhood. Same block as the Plaza and the Ritz, but they're paying $800+ a night, while you're usually under $300. You can walk across the street to the world's only 24 hour Apple store, wander around Central Park, go to the Whole Foods at Time Warner Center (pretty awesome) and pick up a quick dinner at the huge deli buffet. Walk a few blocks south to the MOMA (free on Friday nights) or wander down 5th Avenue for all the fancy designer shopping you could want. You're within a few feet of practically every subway train, it's extremely convenient. There's a hole in the wall deli (Angela's) on the same block, facing Sixth Ave, that has the best croissants in the world, get them before 10 am or they're gone.

The hotel is pretty much beige, though, I have to say. Literally. Not very colorful. It is soundproof, though, and has central air. I mention the A/C because some NYC hotels have window units, which is noisy. The rooms are a pretty good size, too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We stayed at the Doubletree in Times Square 3 years ago and it was a terrific location! I think it was on the corner of Broadway and 47th St. (which is diamond district!). I know the NY residents would shudder at the thought of this, but when we went with extended family, we first did the bus tour of the city (2 days, I think) to see everything, and we could get off at particular places, like museums, etc., anytime we wanted. That was the easiest way to get around and see a lot in a short amount of time. We walked and used taxis on later days to go to specific places again. Then back at the hotel in the evening, we were within walking distance of restaurants and the Broadway shows. If it is still on, I highly recommend Wicked since you are taking your son. All ages in our group loved it! I will say that we were there a week and barely scratched the surface, so you really need to plan what your priorities are.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for this thread!!
I, too, am heading to NYC for my first time this month!! DH and I are going with another couple and will be there Oct. 25th- Nov. 1st. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis in Time Square. (Marriott points! WooHoo!! One of the perks of having a DH who travels a lot for work!)
I am eagerly looking for all recommendations of "must do" events!! So excited!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm returning to NY again in January-we go every year and it's my favourite city in the world! We usually book through travelzoo or quikbook and have gotten great deals most years and if all else fails we book radiocity apartments as they're cheap and very clean. We prefer to stay a bit further out from Times Sq though. Our must do's are Top of the Rock, walking around the Village, the highline, seeing a broadway show (book through broadwaybox.com for discount tickets), Chelsea markets for something to eat, washington square park to just sit and take in the musicians and people watch... can't think of others at the moment. You'll have an amazing time

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1349438288|3279825 said:
Enerchi said:

Enerchi I would love to hang out with you in NY! I would even let you wear my band if I can try on your beautiful three stone 8-)
There isn't any flexibility for my DH to change his vacation week. If you ever come to Chicago we could spend loads of time downtown window shopping in the diamond district :naughty:
I will check out priceline for the hotel. Thanks for the tip on prebooking a trip to the 9/11 memorial.
I hope you enjoy your trip!

Ok - you are on!! Not sure when that will be, but that is a city DH would love to get to and its also where my mother was born and my grandparents lived, for a period of time. So we will meet eventually!!! My fingers are itchin' to try on your band!!! :naughty: :appl:

I have seen Wicked and I do think your son would enjoy that - not so sure he'd get thru Les Mis but you never know! I like Kenny's museum idea - I think we'll add that to our list as well. There will be no sleeping in NYC - we'll all be too busy being out there doing the touristy stuff! :appl:

I think DH is leaning to the Top of the Rock vs the Empire State building - he's getting lots of input from friends who are regulars in NYC. There really is so much to do, I envy those that can visit often - or that live there! BUt sometimes, when you live in a city, you never explore it the same way as a tourist would!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1349616636|3280918 said:
I think DH is leaning to the Top of the Rock vs the Empire State building - he's getting lots of input from friends who are regulars in NYC.

100% agree with this. The Rock is much less obstructed, and from there, you have the iconic Empire State Building in your city-wide view photos.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1349643506|3281140 said:
Enerchi|1349616636|3280918 said:
I think DH is leaning to the Top of the Rock vs the Empire State building - he's getting lots of input from friends who are regulars in NYC.

100% agree with this. The Rock is much less obstructed, and from there, you have the iconic Empire State Building in your city-wide view photos.

Thanks Aljdewey! Any chance you'll be in town for either Woofmama's trip or mine???? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Woofmama... Total bummer that your trip is the week before mine!! Looks like Enerchi and I are going to try to meet up in the Diamond District for a few hours... I would be so fun to have you there too!!
I hope you and your family have a wonderful time!! I am SO excited for my first trip to the Big Apple!! If you find any more "must do" things, please keep us posted!

Have a blast!! :appl:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Rent a holiday apartment in Midtown, eat your meals at Whole Food Market's or buy at Morton Market's: you can have a nice comfortable holiday at a really affordable price.
Don't forget to visit the Metropolitan museum, the Natural History museum (your son will be delighted with it) and the Empire State building or the Top of the Rock.
If you're not in a hurry, take ground buses instead of the subway.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
News Flash: Single Stone is having a trunk show at Greenwich Jewelers on the 26th & 27th. I of course will not be in NY then but if anyone else is you should go & take lots of pictures!!! I can't believe I'm missing this..... ;(

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend the Hotel Newton just a few blocks from Central Park. I went to NYC with DH for my birthday earlier this year. We were on a budget. It is right across the road from it is a subway that leads to Times Square. We even really cheaped out and got a shared bathroom with another guest room, but we never came across them nor did they interfere with our bathroom time. It was very clean and a great price for the location!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
All great suggestions. May I make another? Big Apple double decker bus tours. It's a hop on hop off kind of thing. They have multiple routes, uptown loop( museum mile) downtown( Chinatown, little Italy, WTC South St Seaport) and others. You get a 24 hr pass and you can see everything. They are knowledgable and fun. I lived in NYC for 35 years, but a few years ago while up there we took our out of own guests and my native NY mom on one and was very impressed. I saw stuff I never saw living there. If its not too chilly and you sit upstairs, you see some really cool architecture up close. Look for the carving of the name Macy's on a building on 14th st. The site of the original store!
Have fun. I also second the subway and bus instead of cabs. They can get very pricy and everything in NY is a bus ride away.
Try also to eat in small neighborhood restaurants. Sure the famous names are cool, but the neighborhood places will be really good food.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: Elisateach - Any idea if you are able to get up to NYC for either woofmama's visit or mine the week after? My Diamond day is Oct 30 :naughty:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Sad to say the trip had to be postponed for me so DH could go up to NY he actually left today. His 100 year old Aunt passed away and he needed to go. Nice for him to see family but not so nice reason. But the price of last minute fares/car service and at least one hotel night in Westchester put my trip on hold. I was looking at the weekend after you anyway:( But, my sister and I need to get to LI to settle my moms estate and sell stuff. She promised me we could go to GOG on LI and I was psyched.
Looks like mid November might be possible.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to hear of your DHs family situation. I hope he'll get thru the event ok. No matter the age, it's still very sad.

Hopefully you'll get your GOG trip in soon!

We booked our 9/11 memorial tickets and a restaurant for one of the nights...getting very excited!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results