shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Seamstress/Tailor for Wedding Dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ladies,

hoping you can recommend someone to go to in New York for wedding dress alterations/bustle? I tried looking on The Knot but I find that site confusing.

My dress pretty much fits as is and I already got it shortened where I purchased it overseas. I need someone who can make me a bustle as well as any minor alterations if my weight fluctuates.

I am debating contacting the NY Pronovias flagship store to see about their alteration services. Anyone have experience there?

Thanks in advance!
CDN

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Where did you buy your dress??? Is it Provinas...I can't remember. If you bought it there, i remember hearing that their alterations are free there.

If not...Senel on 29th st btw..2nd and 3rd. You have to make an apt. I have taken every bridesmaid dress I have ever had there. And...she does tons of wedding dresses. Every time I am in there she has vera gowns hanging.

ETA...I just re-read your post that you got it overseas... If you got it at a Provinas related shop I wonder if they will alter it for you. Its worth asking.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 1:02:23 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Where did you buy your dress??? Is it Provinas...I can''t remember. If you bought it there, i remember hearing that their alterations are free there.

If not...Senel on 29th st btw..2nd and 3rd. You have to make an apt. I have taken every bridesmaid dress I have ever had there. And...she does tons of wedding dresses. Every time I am in there she has vera gowns hanging.

ETA...I just re-read your post that you got it overseas... If you got it at a Provinas related shop I wonder if they will alter it for you. Its worth asking.
Thanks EM1!

I bought it at a Pronovias flagship store in Europe; It doesn''t hurt to ask if they''ll make alternations at the NY one, but I''m doubting they''ll do it for free.

Thanks for the recommendation for Senel. Will check it out!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my dress at the Pronovias NYC Flagship, and they''re doing all of the alterations free, as it is their policy.

It would be nice if they would extend you the same courtesy, especially if you could prove you bought it at an actual Pronovias store, but I guess I can see why they might not.

Can''t hurt to ask though!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Katy,

I think I''ll ask them; at worst they''ll say no. I do have my receipt of the purchase with me. I wonder if they''ll do it for a fee... I''m just worried about going somewhere untested and they muck it up.

In the meantime, I''ll check out EM1''s recommendation as well.

BTW, which dress did you end up with? Did I miss a thread???

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
You must have! I posted one just after Christmas if you want to go searching. I''d add the dress to this thread, but I don''t have the pics on this computer!

I bought the Manuel Mota Sagrera... a simple lacy gown that I fell in love with the second I put it on... even though it was twice the budget :) They did give me a discount for ordering that day though, which knocked a decent chunk off!

Which dress did you buy? With all the dresses I tried on, they showed me what a French bustle would look like, so I think they keep that in mind when styling them. Something you could tell a different seamstress if you have it done elsewhere!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh, that explains it! I''ve been MIA since Christmas as I went home for the holidays. I''m really behind on my PS ****!
31.gif

I bought the Manuel Mota Violino. When I was trying it on, I was asking the saleswoman about the bustle; she had no clue what I was talking about. She kept insisting I can hold the train up using a loop-ribbon that was sewn on the edge. The manager finally explained to her what a bustle was and that it was something North Americans requested.
20.gif
Apparently it''s not that popular in Europe.

(Off to search for your thread!)
35.gif

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
i went to Ann Hamilton for the beat-up Angel Sanchez sample i got at Brides Against Breast Cancer. She was amazing, the dress needed quite a bit of work though. Sounds like Pronovias would be your best bet, but Ann Hamilton was amazing if that doesn''t work out. She''s in the West Village.

Here is little blurb about her on NY Magazine

http://nymag.com/listings/stores/ann_hamilton_bridal_studio/

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Karasue and Harriet. I contacted Pronovias on the off chance they''ll be able to do something; hopefully they''ll get back to me soon. If not, I''ll be contacting those tailors you recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results