shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NDSWMR

Rough_Rock
I have the ring, now I just need to finalize the proposal.

My girlfriend and I are traveling to NYC from the West Coast a few days before Christmas. I have never been to the city and she lived there for a few years. She absolutely loves the city and this trip is a way for her to show me around. Anyway, we have spoken about getting engaged, but my response has been we need a little time to get things in order. She has accepted this response and has no idea I plan on asking during our trip.

So, now is the difficult part. Since I do not know much about the city, she''s going to be the one planning most things. I tend to be more spontaneous then she is, so I am thinking I can use this when we are there as this wouldn''t cause much of an alarm. Kind of like the kid who sees something shiny and wants to go see what it is as.

We are staying near Central Park as this is her favorite place in the city. I do not want to do it in a carriage due to the possible smells. Also, she does not like huge crowds so probably not anything too public. With this being the case, I think the Rockefeller Tree is out, Empire State Building and the other "touristy" proposal spots.

I want to propose before dinner and then go to a romantic restaurant. It will be out first day there so we will be going throughout the city all day.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for proposals in the city, not too public, maybe near or including Central Park? Is there anything that has live piano, violin or similar music? I want to try and take into account the weather possibility as well.

Thank you for all the help.

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming engagement, NDSWMR!

Worried about "possible smells" during the carriage ride? Would that be from you or the horse? Sorry, I just couldn''t resist
9.gif

I have several friends who live in NYC. I''ll check with them, and see if they have any good suggestions on where to take your lady love.

It''s all very exciting
36.gif

~Allyson

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Central Park in December will be beautiful and not too crowded, especially on a weekday afternoon. You could just go for a walk in the park, find a peaceful and beautiful spot (there are tons of them) and propose there.

Or if you like classical music, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is open late on Friday and Saturday evenings (closes a little before 9:00 PM) and has live chamber music those evenings on the main balcony. It tends to get a little crowded around Christmas--lots of people visiting from out of town etc--but the evenings might not be too packed for a proposal in an out-of-the-way corner still in earshot of the music. The Assyrian collection, for example. The Met is on the 5th Avenue edge of Central Park.

Another really romantic spot is the Frick Museum's indoor courtyard/garden. Probably that would have to be a daytime proposal--I don't think they have evening hours.

NDSWMR

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the insights. This past weekend she told me about how her favorite spot in Central Park is the Cherry Hill area. Therefore, I think we will go and a walk and I will then pop the question. Thank you again for all of the help.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
My DH, then boyfriend, took me on a spontaneous cab ride to Times Square at 1am our last night in NYC (It was a Sunday night so not crowded at ALL), so that we could see the lights one last time. He proposed right in the middle of the streets.

If she loves Central Park, then I would do it there. I love all the lights in Times Square, which is why mine was perfect.

(Right underneath this light pole)

Our proposal story

times square light post.jpg

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
meresal, awesome story!
4.gif

NDSWMR, good luck with the proposal, be sure to come back with pictures for us!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sounds like its going to be a beautiful proposal
36.gif
DH proposed to me at a park (picnic) under our "tree" fond memories

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results