shape
carat
color
clarity

Number of place settings for registry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I''m registering for glasses, flatware and dishes from Crate and Barrel, mainly because I''m having a wedding shower thrown for me and I don''t have anything tangible that I registered for (just a honeymoon registry).

Anyways Crate and Barrel recommends 12 place settings but that seems like a lot to me, particularly since we don''t entertain currently and our family lives far away. Who knows in the future though. Also if we decide to make this registry more ''public'' (ie add it to our website as one of our offical registries) I''m concerned it may take away from our honeymoon registry since we''re only having a small wedding and would love to go on a honeymoon more than we need dishes but once we start getting pieces of the dish set we''ll probably want to complete that.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting 4.

Mainly because my china comes in sets of 4 and also because flats in London are so teeny tiny I''m not sure we''d fit more than 4 in for a bone china using dinner.

I chose John Lewis''s plain white bone china which is about $50 for 4 plates. I wanted something that means I don''t have to remortgage the house if I drop a plate and where we can easily afford to complete the set if necessary.

I wouldn''t know where to keep 12 of everything!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Yup that''s my problem 12 seems like a ton! I thought of maybe 8... but it''s hard to decide.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crate and Barrel discontinues thier patterns all the time. Things break, and then you can''t replace them. If you love it, and think you will for years to come, AND can store it... go for the max you can. If you don''t love it and wouldn''t mind changing it out in a few years when things break and what not... get whatever makes sense.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 5:24:55 PM
Author: Gypsy
Crate and Barrel discontinues thier patterns all the time. Things break, and then you can''t replace them. If you love it, and think you will for years to come, AND can store it... go for the max you can. If you don''t love it and wouldn''t mind changing it out in a few years when things break and what not... get whatever makes sense.
Wow, I had no idea about this. That makes sense though since I have glasses I love and they no longer make them. Do most people forgo buying their dish sets from crate and barrel then?

Also what about the serving dishes? They have a lot that go with the sets and I was thinking I shouldn''t list those since they are so pricey.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 5:24:55 PM
Author: Gypsy

This is true for most of CBs stuff, but I know some of their stemware has been around for YEARS and shows no signs of being discontinued. My parents have had their Adrienne wine glasses for as long as I can remember. I''ve always loved them, so we''re registered for them ourselves.

Otherwise, I have the same advice as Gypsy. Get what you can store and think you might have any use for in the future. As for the tangible registry VS the honeymoon, maybe see how much gets bought up for the shower? You can always close the CB registry after the shower if you so choose. In the meantime, put on as many settings as you think you might want...you never know, you might get a good chunk of them.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I should go for the 12 settings then just in case. That worries me though.

That's a good idea about potentially closing the registry after the shower. 12 does seem like alot though since i'm onlyo having a 70-80 person wedding.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t worry about registering for things based on the number of guests attending. I just checked our C&B registry and we registered for (and just got, apparently!) 12 place settings (we''re replacing all of our flatware). I''d register for more than you need, just to be on the safe side. I don''t know about you, but I always bring silverware to work and then I wash it, leave it in the drying rack, and forget to bring it home. I''ll have to be more careful with our new stuff though. Plus, I think you might use more than you think you will. Not having to wash dishes or run the dishwasher as often is nice.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 6:20:20 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
I wouldn''t worry about registering for things based on the number of guests attending. I just checked our C&B registry and we registered for (and just got, apparently!) 12 place settings (we''re replacing all of our flatware). I''d register for more than you need, just to be on the safe side. I don''t know about you, but I always bring silverware to work and then I wash it, leave it in the drying rack, and forget to bring it home. I''ll have to be more careful with our new stuff though. Plus, I think you might use more than you think you will. Not having to wash dishes or run the dishwasher as often is nice.
I went ahead and changed it to 12. That''s way more than we may need but that will give us the extra couple of place settings we may want or need to replace or use later on.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I have a pet peeve about having my patterns complete. So I will have 36 place settings of flatware when all is said and done. Admittedly I'm anal about that. But I have twelve, have lost a few pieces... so I registered for another 12 (My flatware is from Oneida and only comes in a set of 12-- you can't buy it in peices, but it's really affordable, exactly the pattern I want, and great quality), then for an additional set of 12 for good measure. Like I said, I've got issues. I have 16 place settings of my Wedgwood White everyday pattern (really REALLY durable stuff)-- its one of their patterns that will never discontinue, and 4 of the place settings were purchased as 'extras' in case of loss and breakage. And a full set for 12 (everything, including all serving pieces) of John's grandmother's china we inherited. I don't use his grandmother's except on special occassions because a) it bugs me that there are only 12 and if I lose a piece the set will be incomplete and I can't replace the pattern and b) they are handwash only.

So take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a little nutz on this issue.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with the more is better team. We registered for 12 place settings of china and 14 place settings of flatware. I figured that if I''m having 12 people over for dinner, I''m sure there will be at least one or two forks or spoons dirty so I want to have enough for everyone.

We do need to up our number of wine glasses though, we only got 6...we got Reidel and there was a set of 6 with a decanter for a good price...but obviously still expensive, so then I felt guilty registering for another 6 individually...I hate this stupid guilt for registering for expensive things! It''s completely self-induced of course so there''s absolutely no reason for it!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 10:26:07 PM
Author: karasue91
I''m with the more is better team. We registered for 12 place settings of china and 14 place settings of flatware. I figured that if I''m having 12 people over for dinner, I''m sure there will be at least one or two forks or spoons dirty so I want to have enough for everyone.

We do need to up our number of wine glasses though, we only got 6...we got Reidel and there was a set of 6 with a decanter for a good price...but obviously still expensive, so then I felt guilty registering for another 6 individually...I hate this stupid guilt for registering for expensive things! It''s completely self-induced of course so there''s absolutely no reason for it!
I''m definitely going with ''more is better'' you guys have me convinced!

I''m feeling the guilt over expensive registry items as well. I thought picking dishes at crate and barrel was going to be reasonable until I compared it with some other places and realized they''re actually pretty darn pricey. I was thinking, wow are people going to offended I registered for items that are 30 bucks a plate?? Ah well...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results