carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Marcy, I LOVE that band on you and it looks terrific. PS quality stones or not it doesn't matter if you love it and I see why you do. It has presence and looks great on you! Cannot wait for it to be sized properly for your RH. I'm sorry Marty is working hard and sleeping less for his job right now but hopefully things will quiet down soon for him and he can enjoy more time with his folks. Your in laws are leaving on our last full day of vacation here. Somehow I know it will be here before we both know it. On Tuesday Fed Ex brought my espadrilles from Kristie so yes it is a fun delivery for sure. No good photos but I will share what I sent Kristie anyway since you asked. They are cute and comfie too. But since my accident my left foot is a bit bigger than my right so I need to get shoes half a size up and then put inserts in my right shoe so it all fits. A bit of a pain but at least I can walk and cycle so no complaints here!

espadrillesbluepineapple.jpg

espadrillesneutralcolor.jpg

I am glad you enjoyed the Olive Garden. I have never been there but am intrigued since you and Marty enjoy it and I always like having leftovers for the next day plus so maybe one day we will try it. We have a favorite Portuguese restaurant in Newark and after we eat there we have leftovers for days too. And it is so yummy. Oh now you have me craving Portuguese food at 6AM in the morning haha. :lickout:

Marcy, you are a great boss and are handling your difficult employee(s) perfectly IMO. Don't doubt yourself and you could probably teach online courses on how to deal with the NNs in the business world. I'm sorry you have to though but hey it's almost Friday and the weekend! Of course as Princess Francesca HRH likes to ask. What's a weekend? :lol:

Ann is wonderful and we are all hoping very hard that this next round of trapping next week is successful. We have at least 6 more ferals that need spaying and neutering and there is no way she can get them all this round and I also know how it goes. When she traps a few it seems new ones come. Never ending but again remaining Zen about it now thanks to you girls and Greg and Ann and realizing we can only do the best we can do one day at a time. Rainwood, I LOVE the new NIRDI mottos. One day at a time and
All for one and one for all. :!: :!: :!: And yes the NIRDI thread is a happy place and a safe place for all of us to share, vent, cry and laugh. The good, the bad and the ugly and let's not forget the very very blingy. :appl: :halo:

Rainwood, I LOVE Maine and I love Eastern Canada. It will be an awesome trip I have no doubt about that. :appl: In general while cruising is not always the best way to travel I think for certain destinations it is a perfect way to travel and this trip and the Alaska trip fits the cruising bill. Kristie, haha, NIRDI cruise. If we could ever get everyone and their busy schedules to sync count me in but I think it's a long shot.

Gypsy, I am glad you had a better night's sleep Tuesday night. I am so sorry about what I wrote in the post before to you because rereading what I wrote about money I see how insensitive it sounds and I swear I didn't mean it like that. Your money issues are big ones and yes they are a real problem honey. I am so sorry you are going through this hellish nightmare and I hope it will be done with as soon as possible. About the states that are "safe" states re private lenders not being able to take your property and garnish your wages why have you crossed PA off your list? My friend has moved there (near the Poconos and she commutes to Brooklyn every day for work so it is a haul) because property taxes are so CHEAP in PA. Now I don't know much about PA in general so just asking but I love Philadelphia and while I know it is expensive to live in Philly what about the surrounding suburbs? Just talking out loud seeing if there is any potential you might want to explore further. And NC I know is a lovely place to live. Jimmianne lives there and when she gets back I know she would love to talk with you about it if you wanted to that is. In fact I played with the idea of NC or SC myself but not while my family is still around and living in the NE. Wishing you the holy grail of DEBT FREE LIFE very soon!!! It will happen I know it. I feel it in my bones and in my heart. And I know that you will be able to purchase your dream band to be and that things will change for the better. Just hoping for you it happens soon and you can take that huge pressure off yourself and out of your life. (((HUGS))).

LLJSmom, haha I love what you wrote "If I was flying down the road on a bike, I would want to be wearing THAT." LOVE that description and I can picture you flying down the road riding your bike right now. When you come visit we will go riding together. Double tandems! Our Cannondale is just waiting for you and your dh. I already informed Greg when you visit he is to make sure it is in tip top shape. :appl:
And speaking of which here it is...delivered yesterday afternoon while chatting with Callie. My new GLOWING RED bike helmet. :appl:
It just fits and my hair is an issue if I put it up inside the helmet as I usually do when cycling so I will figure it out. Perhaps just tie it at the nape of my neck outside of the helmet. It's a workable problem I think. And I cannot resist the glowing red (actually color name of the helmet) color. It is pretty. Forgive the not pretty pic but I just took it now still in my nightgown. :lol:

bikehelmetfirstthingthismorning.jpg

glowingredbikehelmet.jpg

Unfortunately I don't think we are going cycling today so I won't be trying out my new pretty helmet :(( but it is just too windy. 21 plus mph winds coming from the North and West and that is a challenging wind to cycle in so thinking today is the perfect day to to to Lambertville and visit my fave antique jewelry shop. I am excited but hope I don't find any bling that is calling my name. Seriously have to curb the bling (Curby I am borrowing your word hope it's OK) because need to save that money for the ferals. It is getting expensive and I am OK with spending it on the cats vs bling. Lives vs things- no contest!!! So just going to enjoy the day and enjoy some pretty antique jewelry and that will be satisfying enough. I hope. :lol: :halo:

I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday and sending hugs and good vibes to all the NIRDIs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Marcy, I LOVE that band on you and it looks terrific. PS quality stones or not it doesn't matter if you love it and I see why you do. It has presence and looks great on you! Cannot wait for it to be sized properly for your RH. I'm sorry Marty is working hard and sleeping less for his job right now but hopefully things will quiet down soon for him and he can enjoy more time with his folks. Your in laws are leaving on our last full day of vacation here. Somehow I know it will be here before we both know it. On Tuesday Fed Ex brought my espadrilles from Kristie so yes it is a fun delivery for sure. No good photos but I will share what I sent Kristie anyway since you asked. They are cute and comfie too. But since my accident my left foot is a bit bigger than my right so I need to get shoes half a size up and then put inserts in my right shoe so it all fits. A bit of a pain but at least I can walk and cycle so no complaints here!

espadrillesbluepineapple.jpg

espadrillesneutralcolor.jpg

I am glad you enjoyed the Olive Garden. I have never been there but am intrigued since you and Marty enjoy it and I always like having leftovers for the next day plus so maybe one day we will try it. We have a favorite Portuguese restaurant in Newark and after we eat there we have leftovers for days too. And it is so yummy. Oh now you have me craving Portuguese food at 6AM in the morning haha. :lickout:

Marcy, you are a great boss and are handling your difficult employee(s) perfectly IMO. Don't doubt yourself and you could probably teach online courses on how to deal with the NNs in the business world. I'm sorry you have to though but hey it's almost Friday and the weekend! Of course as Princess Francesca HRH likes to ask. What's a weekend? :lol:

Ann is wonderful and we are all hoping very hard that this next round of trapping next week is successful. We have at least 6 more ferals that need spaying and neutering and there is no way she can get them all this round and I also know how it goes. When she traps a few it seems new ones come. Never ending but again remaining Zen about it now thanks to you girls and Greg and Ann and realizing we can only do the best we can do one day at a time. Rainwood, I LOVE the new NIRDI mottos. One day at a time and
All for one and one for all. :!: :!: :!: And yes the NIRDI thread is a happy place and a safe place for all of us to share, vent, cry and laugh. The good, the bad and the ugly and let's not forget the very very blingy. :appl: :halo:

Rainwood, I LOVE Maine and I love Eastern Canada. It will be an awesome trip I have no doubt about that. :appl: In general while cruising is not always the best way to travel I think for certain destinations it is a perfect way to travel and this trip and the Alaska trip fits the cruising bill. Kristie, haha, NIRDI cruise. If we could ever get everyone and their busy schedules to sync count me in but I think it's a long shot.

Gypsy, I am glad you had a better night's sleep Tuesday night. I am so sorry about what I wrote in the post before to you because rereading what I wrote about money I see how insensitive it sounds and I swear I didn't mean it like that. Your money issues are big ones and yes they are a real problem honey. I am so sorry you are going through this hellish nightmare and I hope it will be done with as soon as possible. About the states that are "safe" states re private lenders not being able to take your property and garnish your wages why have you crossed PA off your list? My friend has moved there (near the Poconos and she commutes to Brooklyn every day for work so it is a haul) because property taxes are so CHEAP in PA. Now I don't know much about PA in general so just asking but I love Philadelphia and while I know it is expensive to live in Philly what about the surrounding suburbs? Just talking out loud seeing if there is any potential you might want to explore further. And NC I know is a lovely place to live. Jimmianne lives there and when she gets back I know she would love to talk with you about it if you wanted to that is. In fact I played with the idea of NC or SC myself but not while my family is still around and living in the NE. Wishing you the holy grail of DEBT FREE LIFE very soon!!! It will happen I know it. I feel it in my bones and in my heart. And I know that you will be able to purchase your dream band to be and that things will change for the better. Just hoping for you it happens soon and you can take that huge pressure off yourself and out of your life. (((HUGS))).

LLJSmom, haha I love what you wrote "If I was flying down the road on a bike, I would want to be wearing THAT." LOVE that description and I can picture you flying down the road riding your bike right now. When you come visit we will go riding together. Double tandems! Our Cannondale is just waiting for you and your dh. I already informed Greg when you visit he is to make sure it is in tip top shape. :appl:
And speaking of which here it is...delivered yesterday afternoon while chatting with Callie. My new GLOWING RED bike helmet. :appl:
It just fits and my hair is an issue if I put it up inside the helmet as I usually do when cycling so I will figure it out. Perhaps just tie it at the nape of my neck outside of the helmet. It's a workable problem I think. And I cannot resist the glowing red (actually color name of the helmet) color. It is pretty. Forgive the not pretty pic but I just took it now still in my nightgown. :lol:

bikehelmetfirstthingthismorning.jpg

glowingredbikehelmet.jpg

Unfortunately I don't think we are going cycling today so I won't be trying out my new pretty helmet :(( but it is just too windy. 21 plus mph winds coming from the North and West and that is a challenging wind to cycle in so thinking today is the perfect day to go to Lambertville and visit my fave antique jewelry shop. I am excited but hope I don't find any bling that is calling my name. Seriously have to curb the bling (Curby I am borrowing your word hope it's OK) because need to save that money for the ferals. It is getting expensive and I am OK with spending it on the cats vs bling. Lives vs things- no contest!!! So just going to enjoy the day and enjoy some pretty antique jewelry and that will be satisfying enough. I hope. :lol: :halo:

I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday and sending hugs and good vibes to all the NIRDIs.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning everyone!

missy those espadrilles are so so cute on you! I love them.

rainwood - hi :) I hope I contribute enough for us to get to know each other better, and I hope you still like me after you do ::) I asked DH about it - he said that the plane had lost our luggage and that was the only piece of luggage we had. And yes, he had said something like "c'mon, let's go go, we got this" or something like that. I love that memory even though I don't remember it clearly! I'm so glad you asked me about it 'cause I got to appreciate it all over again.

gypsy - I'm going to respond to this because I feel it's something I know about from personal experience. What sticks out for me that is super helpful when it comes to food is: 1. definitely don't think "diet" and do not deprive yourself. 2. Eat good fats. Do not be afraid of fat. Especially as we get older, fat is good. 3. Fear sugar. Avoid sugar. If you can, go cold turkey on any ADDED sugar (like in your coffee, or tea). Look at any product in your home with added sugar, make a list of what they are, and look for replacements. (and definitely ask here, as I've replaced many of these things myself and can tell you some brands to look into.) 4. I know you're a tea drinker...when you get a craving for something sugary or unhealthy, have a cup of hot tea, and savor it. Or a piece of fruit. See if the craving goes away. It often will. 5. But yes, sometimes, the only thing that will hit the spot is a cookie. Or a slice of pizza. Have it. Enjoy it. 6. If you start going back to the gym, start slow so it's not a huge chore. Do only 10 or 20 minutes of cardio. Or better yet, just lift weights. Again, as we get older, weights are crucial. Start easy so it's not a huge to do to get yourself there. (**if you already know all this, or you've heard it on this thread already (I know missy and lljsmom gave you some great tips), don't even feel like you have to acknowledge it. I didn't read everyone's posts to you word for word. And I know most of it is common knowledge.)

Something else...I have to be honest with you, when I read your debt story I felt truly in pain and desperate imagining what that must feel like. So I can't even give you encouraging words - I have a "thing" about money - I always have - so I get how the situation would be maddening. I really hope you are able to find a solution, or that you're able to pay it down so you can get this huge monkey off your back. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. The one thing I know you are super smart and you seem to be super resourceful so I know if there's a solution out there, you *will* find it.

marcy - I really like that band on you. You know I'm not super into jewelry like all of you guys are - so I don't have things I want, etc., and like I didn't even kind of know there were "fat" bands like that. But when I saw yours I thought to myself...hmmm...if I ever want a piece of jewelry a fat band like that would be so my style. Enjoy it.

My picture that rainwood was talking about is my avatar. :)

Glad your DH is doing good with food. I don't even think in terms of "low carbs" / high protein anymore because some habits have just become well...habits so I don't even think about them anymore. But I do try to have protein with every meal - including fruit (I'll add a spoonful of greek yogurt sometimes, for example.) And I won't eat carbs for dinner - so like brown rice, or sweet potatoes only for lunch...only salad as a side for dinner. And definitely low sugar. I have cut most sugar out of my life (except when I binge on cookies of course). How is he with sugar?

june - I hope you're able to resolve your mom's sleep so you can get rest so you can take care of yourself and your mom. I know from many of your posts that you're very caring about people and your mom is so lucky to have a daughter like you.

Everyone else, hi and have a great day.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy, LOVELOVELOVE the band! That is 'me,' I'd have bought that band. It looks GREAT on you :appl: :love: Snoopy, he's my budster, you cannot go wrong with Snoopy :sun: Especially Joe Cool!

Gypsy, that is so EFFED, the student loan Gordian knot. So do I understand this---its basically unmanageable until you pay it off? And when you pay it off, you must be extremely careful to obtain every piece of payoff documentation possible in order to prevent your paid off loan from continuing to be sold as unpaid debt? Do I have this right?

And it cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy, right? Well $#it.

Me and my friends, we brainstorm problems and since you are my friend, I'm going to do a one-handed brainstorm. No need to respond to any of it whatsoever.

Any possibility of paying this SOB off even if you have to make extreme sacrifices?
OR is it time to plan the rest of your life around it in terms of living in a location where your salary and RETIREMENT INCOME cannot be garnished? Like OJ. OJ lived in Florida because the Goldman verdict could not touch his NFL pension there.
Is it time to move?
Lawyers. The right one is the miracle worker. The wrong one, well. Is it time to get a lawyer whose expertise is in negotiating clients through student loans just like yours---the lawyer negotiates DOWN the amount you owe in exchange for immediate payoff (like cuts the amount in half or more, it has to be a radical amount in order for you to sacrifice what it would take for immediate payoff). Then, the lawyer directs the mechanism of payment such that it is heavily documented so that your now-paid loan if still sold as unpaid debt can be immediately and satisfactorily proven to be paid off. Like a buying your house. You'd put the payoff amount in an escrow account, you/your lawyer and the entity who holds your debt "come to the table" and everyone signs off on the agreement and terms. When everyone signs off, the escrow company notarizes the payment and the contract and hands the check over to the entity holding your loan. I would think that part of the agreement/terms is the loan holder agrees to remove your loan from the bundle of debt that is being sold around.

Does this situation boil down to this: There is pay off (at once or paying it off in pieces) OR walking away from it and live where they cannot garnish your wages/and transfer your assets so they can't get those?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy, that red helmet is the bicycling equivalent of a really good piece of jewelry - stylish, well-made and just the right amount of flash! Love it. And fingers crossed for the next TNR attempt. I hope Ann gets several of the ferals. And I'd think that spring/summer would be peak season for new additions to the group. Were you feeding at this time last year? I can't remember. If not, this is your first year at this point in the cycle.

Kristie, yes on the NIRDI cruise! As long as all you couples let us singles mingle with you. That would be great fun. Or maybe Las Vegas next year for the PS event at the jewelry (I forget the exact initials of it - something like JCK or whatever). I'm not a huge Vegas fan - I am not willing to risk more than a quarter at a time so the gambling options long ago passed me by - but I'd go to hang out with the NIRDI's and look at jewelry. I've been to Vegas a couple of times but the first time was long enough ago that I saw Elvis in the midst of his first big comeback (thin, disco Elvis) and the last I just calculated was 24 years ago. Man, am I getting old! I believe things are a lot different in Vegas now. People drive cars instead of ride horses, and they have something called the electric lightbulb. Jiminy whiskers!

Gypsy, I should have known you'd looked at all the possibilities. Last night after reading your post, I was thinking that "Gee, they can't garnish without a judgment in most cases, and at least in my state you can't execute on a judgment after 10 years." Then I did a little research and saw they don't have to file suit or get a judgment ever! They can just garnish away from the first default and just keep doing it forever! It's like they get to be some kind of super creditor and not in a good way. If nothing else, Gypsy, reading about your plight and doing that little bit of research has really opened my eyes about the evils of private student loans. I'll admit I used to be kind of judgmental. I came from modest circumstances, made choices not to go into debt for any of school except a very small ($3000) federal loan that was repaid on time, and that if other people didn't make those same kinds of choices, then tough. So I was okay with them not being dischargeable in bankruptcy. Now I really see it can be predatory lending at its worst and will most often hit those who have the least resources to advise them on the pitfalls. And unlike almost all other kinds of debt, there is no escape even for those who are trying to pay them off. It's like legalized loan sharking that preys on people for the rest of their lives, and that's not okay. So you've made a convert.

And I totally see moving somewhere else because it gives you a better chance at the future. I'd really like to see legislation that puts controls and regulations on these loans, greatly limits their availability and their favorable status under the law, and will be granted only after a lot of disclosures and counseling. If it means that some students go to a less expensive school, my guess is they are far better off doing that than living with crippling debt from the moment they leave that pricey school. Otherwise, it's kind of like saying, "We know you really need the money so it's okay to charge 58% interest!"

Marcy, am I confused here? I thought your Snoopy wallet was an LV and the tote was Coach. It looks like they're both Coach from the photo of your lovely new ring. So excuse my multiple references to LV if I got that wrong. Again, I don't seem to know what I'm talking about. The difference now that I'm older, I'm willing to admit it! And I'll try to phrase my next thought on your new ring so it comes out the way I'm intending. I'm more of a clean lines, minimalist person when it comes to jewelry and I have a lifelong aversion to the color pink because my mother used to dress me in it all the time so there is nothing about the style of your new ring or the rose gold that is in my "wheelhouse" but when I saw it, my first (and true) reaction was "Wow, that's really pretty!" So I'm intending to give you a super-duper compliment because it takes a really special piece for me to like something I'm not usually drawn to. I hope that came out right!

CJ, I'm so glad that asking your DH about your avatar brought back a fond travel memory! And what a great attitude about lost luggage. That happened to me twice, once in Australia, and once in Hawaii, and I've only done carry on since. If I can't carry it, it ain't going.

LLJ, I think of LL Cool J every time I type your name. And I'm not even a big hip hop fan. And I thought it was great you came to Gypsy's defense on that RT thread. I don't go over there much but, out of curiosity, went over to read that thread. My guess is that, even if she didn't realize it at the time, the OP was seeking validation that she was smart and savvy and had come up with a way to get a great stone at a great price in Canada. It's a mystery why she thought PS folks would be able to help if she's doing this special sort of buying arrangement in Canada, but either she didn't do the research she said she did (it would take all of 20 minutes to get PS vendor price ranges for the stone parameters she had) or she did the research and wasn't coming up with numbers in the range her jeweler was. When people wanted more information and, out of a desire to help and protect, offered the opposite of what she was seeking, it threw her for a loop. I thought one of Gypsy's early comments came out a little hot, but she apologized for it so everything after that was on the OP who eventually started throwing shade in every direction. All I know is if she can get an 1.5 I SI1 MRB in an ideal cut or even close to ideal cut for $6500 U.S., I want to know how because I can get to Vancouver in a few hours!

And speaking of Canada, I'm headed there tomorrow for a long weekend to celebrate my sister's birthday. So, if I don't post, that will be the reason. It will be a nice, but bittersweet, event. My sister and my DH were born on the same day of the same year so every birthday she celebrates is also a reminder that he isn't here to do the same. But it will be nice to see all of that part of my family and maybe I'll score some great diamond deal when I'm there!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today was a nice day. My foot is continuing to improve. And I've been good about food too. Going to have one of my favorite dinners: prosciutto and melon. Light and sweet and salty. I don't feel like like cooking and found a beautiful melon. My white cat (picture below)-- Whitey (we originally named him Merlin but it was too ambitious for him and he answers to Whitey) is being cuddly and I helped John set up for the wine and cheese party he's throwing for the residents tonight and it turned out really nice. I'm munching on an apricot right now. I adore Blenheim apricots. They are only in season for two weeks every year but they are by far the best apricots I've had in the US.

Love the "One Day at a Time" motto.

Missy, 6 more ferals! OMG. You guys need to file for non-profit status or something. Is there anyway some of this is tax deductible? I know you are doing it for you. I get that. But at the scale you are doing it, if you could get money back it would let you do more and take a little pressure off.

You weren't insensitive before, don't worry. There's nothing to forgive. I promise 8) . Debt not a subject many people have much sympathy for and student loan debt is unfortunately very misunderstood. I think it's purposeful on the part of lenders. It allows their predatory behavior to continue because if the public really understood how bad the industry was, it wouldn't be allowed to continue. I have looked in PA. It was my first choice when we lived in NJ. Just move right across the state line. But the areas where there are good jobs are expensive to live in, even with a 45 minute commute. And as you may have guessed from the story before, I'm not the best driver in inclement weather. The positives are that there is a decent amount of work in the general area. But John would prefer less snow for a number of reasons, not the least because of me driving. And while housing is more affordable than here it is quite expensive still. We, ideally, need to be somewhere that 275k buys us 1200 square feet and a 1/2 hour commute for me.

I love the new helmet. I'm glad it fit. How was the antique show?

CJ, great advice, thank you. I hadn't thought about starting with 10 minutes of cardio. You are right, that is much more manageable. I don't have a huge issue with refined sugar or added sugars any more. My last round of dieting took care of that and I don't miss it. I have to watch my fruit consumption very carefully, I ADORE fruit. And good crusty bread. Pasta, rice, you name it. Not an issue. Bread is hard. I could easily live on crusty bread and fruit. But the low carb lifestyle we managed for 9 months was actually pretty decent. I am a carnivore and not at all afraid of fat and I adore eggs.

Thank you so much for the empathy on the student loan front. It's very much appreciated.

I will continue responses in a bit, Whitey has decided that mommy isn't allowed to laptop right now.

img_20160415_183601170.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a hilarious pic of Whitey. Looks just like my kids. "Mom, WHY are you on the computer? I need you NOW MOM." :lol:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitey says: Hey ThumbLadyyyyyyy!!! Open that tuna pouch !!!!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Gypsy, I was thinking of you all day and hoping things are looking better to you today. I like fun rings and jewelry no matter what the quality. It sounds like you got some great deals on your rings. I know you are never going to break even selling jewelry that you purchased new. I sell stuff I don’t like at a big reduction just to get rid of it. That is one reason I buy so much from that place I can trade things back in for full price. I don’t feel bad buying something there because I know I can always get my money back towards something else. I hope everything falls in place to get your new band sometime soon. Whitey is a cutie. He definitely wants your attention.

LLJsmom, I generally don’t like that big of a band (ring) on me because I think it makes my stubby fingers look more stubby but that’s mostly because I generally wear thinner bands.

Missy, I hope your vacation lasts a long time. Love your new shoes. Kristie is a sweetie sending them to you. We eat at Olive Garden because it is the best place for Italian food in our town. I guarantee you have far better places where you live. OG isn’t horrible but it’s basic Italian food. I just split up the rest of my spaghetti and got 4 lunches out of it. That sounds like what you bring home from your Portuguese restaurant. Such a bargain! Tell her Royal Highness Francesca I am glad she has such a privileged life she doesn’t know what a weekend is; that is nice. I love your pretty new red helmet. Rats your hair can’t be tucked up inside. Can you exchange it for the next size or would it be too big for you?

CJ2008, as i mentioned above I’ve been thinking about getting a band similar to my moms but after I saw the WG/RG on that lady at the jewelry store a few weeks ago I decided that is what I wanted. It sounds like you definitely eat healthy. Marty really like Greek yogurt. I definitely am trying to eat better since DH doing so well on his food. He generally stays away from sugar. Sugar is my biggest downfall. I get in to snacks at work mostly candy or cookies.

Kristie, you have a much larger Snoopy than I do and how could we not love Snoopy? My in-laws have been checking the temps down there - you are definitely getting in to the hot weather.

Rainwood, I am with you on gambling. Marty has poker nights in his man cave and one them they didn’t have many people come so I went down to play. You buy in for $20. That was ALL I was going to play and you guessed it I lost it plus $40 more in about 20 minutes. I haven’t played with them since. I am WAY too cheap. Thank you for the info you found out about student loans, what a nightmare they turn out to be. My Snoopy wallet is Coach but I wasn’t going to correct you when you called it LV. I knew what you meant. I wouldn’t care what brand it was as long as it was Snoopy. My house is LOADED with Snoopy stuff. I am glad my band that has nothing about it that appeals to you looks pretty. I get it. I like smaller, plain, simple jewelry as well and you won’t see much of this type of jewelry in my collection but this one really appealed to me. That is interesting you have an aversion to pink. My sister dressed my 2 nieces in ruffles growing up and I doubt you’d catch either of them with a piece of lace on their clothes now. Have a nice trip to Canada and celebration with your sister. I am sure you’ll have a nice time and shed some tears. Birthdays and holidays are really hard. My mom died in August so it’s kind of an isolated time but November was both of my parent’s birthdays, then there is Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, then my dad died the end of January. May and June are awful too because it’s mother’s day, my birthday, their anniversary then father’s day. I am crossing my fingers you score a big diamond deal. Canadian diamonds are very pretty.

Thank you ladies for the compliments on my band. Hopefully I get it tomorrow. I know exactly why I wanted a band like this. My mom had a vintage WG diamond accent wide band that she wore the last few years before she died. My niece-in-law choice it when us “girls” each picked one of my mom’s rings. Lately when I see my niece wearing that band I am happy she loves it so much and I decided I wanted to get a wide vintage band too. I even bought this ring from the same store my mom’s band is from. It’s not my usual style but I know I’ll enjoy it.

My in-laws went to visit some friends tonight. My MIL really sprayed on the perfume before they left. I can still taste it. That kind of stuff absolutely tears up my lungs and allergies. I am sure I am more sensitive to it than most people because I avoid it so much. I might hang a note in our guest bathroom that says “your hostess appreciates you not using cologne or perfume”. Marty would probably think I’m being rude to our guests. He was trying to air out the house when I got home but it stuck in here.

We went to supper at Outback since Marty’s folks went out for the evening.

Tomorrow is Friday. Have a great day.
Marcy

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AZ- The private loans are largely unmanageable until paid off. And sometimes when you pay it off, there is this called "zombie" debt (John Oliver did a segment just last week on it). The borrower has no power and no rights. NONE, unless you live in a state that gives you some. And CA is not that state. Right now, I need to stay in CA until John's been with his current company for a year. But the company he is with now, as opposed to the one he was with before, has properties in lower cost of living states, which is why we targeted them. He is doing well enough that we might be able to get a transfer for him. If he can transfer we can move with one income and I can take contract work or whatever until I can get something more stable. And that's our plan.

There are VERY few lawyers that deal with student loans. It's not lucrative for them at all and is very specialized. I've looked and haven't really found any. And yes, the best way to negotiate a reduction is to be able to pay it all off in a lump sum. That's my goal. The escrow idea is a good one, I will look into it.

And yes, the take away is either pay it all off or live somewhere the private lenders can't touch my income and leave everything in John's name. Then force them to negotiate with me.

The thing is I WANT to pay my debt. Plus a reasonable amount of interest. And if there was a way to work with the lenders and establish a REASONABLE payment schedule that can take into account things like: my retirement, I would be happy to do that. But they have all the power and I have none in CA.

Rainwood, Yeah, I've had to become my own advocate and since my skills are well suited to research I have looked into what I could. And yes, they can do that. I am glad you are convert. This is an area that is desperately in need of reform.

Actually, true story which I think will illustrate the absurdity of all this.

I had just rehabbed my Federal Loans and was on a payment plan for them. Now I don't know if you know this, but Federal liens get precedence over all others. State or private. As a result the Feds have no reason to work with you on payment amounts, they can also demand as much as the cap (which in CA is 15% for the first creditor lein, and 10% for the second) and they do. Although there are hardship exceptions, if you are working they demand their full 15%. So there was no negotiating that payment down, though I tried.

Then I missed few payments on my private loans. Just a few. And next thing I know I am being garnished for the full 15% by just ONE of those lenders (I could not get the loans consolidated, though I did try, so I had MULTIPLE lender liens). And then another 10% by another lender.

So that was 15% of my income to Federal Loans. Another 15% to my first lien. And then 10% for the second. That was 35% of my income. Now I live in CA, which is high cost of living. I could not IN ANYWAY sustain 35% of my income being taken.

So I actually HAD to default on my FEDERAL loans (and screw my credit to kingdom come) so that THEY would take the first lien of 15%. Which added TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS IN PENALTIES my federal debt. SO that the private lenders would be restricted to 10%. And I would be able to just live pay check to pay check.

I actually spoke to a ton of people before doing it, begged and pleaded with the Federal Loan people, talked to lawyers and two accountants and that was the result. Bankruptcy wouldn't help me really. The best it would do was defer the liens for 5 years, but that would have meant LITERALLY 50k in penalties (minimum) being added to my debt.

SO yeah. Reform is badly needed. If I had lived in Texas or one of the other states that didn't allow private lender liens on my income I would have been able to keep my credit score up, paid off the Federal Loans, and negotiated a settlement and reasonable payments for my private loans.

Have a good trip to Canada. I am sorry about DH's birthday. Every day is hard, but special occasions are especially difficult, I imagine. I am happy you will not be alone. I know you miss him so much. There's a Haiku I love. It reminds me of you.

Separation
By W. S. Merwin
Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.

((HUGS)).

LLJ, clearly you speak cat. ::) He came and sat on my chest and pushed the laptop away with his back feet. Thank you again for defending me on RT. I really did appreciate it very much.

Marcy, Things were much better today. But honestly, it was all because *I* was better. I was well rested, and had an optimistic viewpoint and had a couple of phone interviews and even if nothing comes of them just getting the calls back feels good. Thank you so much for your support, it means the world.

I too am a complete cheapskate about gambling. I HATE losing money. Lottery is one thing, it's a buck here and there. But if I lose ten bucks I'm done. Seriously, ten bucks is my limit. John laughs at me. I'm a nickel slot girl when I am in a casino.

Do you live with your in laws? I'm still playing catch up on everyone's lives.

I really the chicken caesar at Outback. Much love and hugs to you too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Marcy, excited for you...getting the new band today woohoo! Cannot wait to see it on you and its Friday too. Sweet!
Sorry about your MIL and the perfume. I'm the same way. I am very sensitive to smells and perfume and can only tolerate it in very small doses. Sometimes when I am on the subway if someone has too much perfume on I will get a headache. I try to move to another subway car if that happens but during rush hour you cannot move easily.

Hope you enjoyed your dinner at Outback last night. Thank you girls for keeping me company when we were stuck in traffic. I hate traffic. :knockout: We had dinner at the cutest retro diner last night that was rate #1 diner in all of NJ. It was adorable. The food was good but I'm not sure what the fuss is about and it has only about 15-20 tables so super small. Fortunately when we got there a booth was available so no waiting as you girls know when I am hungry waiting is no no.

LOL LLJsmom yes I was quite hangry sitting in traffic last night. :!:

Marcy, only a few more days and then bye to your inlaws. Do you have any special plans this weekend with them? I have a feeling Marty is going to be playing golf this weekend. :bigsmile:
The red helmet was only available in size small and no other bike dealer/bike shop had this color available. This was it. I checked everywhere on the internet and at local bike shops. I am lucky to have gotten this one so I'll take it. At full price yet but it sure is pretty. :halo:

Scandi, hope you got a lot accomplished at work yesterday. Thinking of you and hope your week is going smoothly. Miss your daily photos here.

Rainwood, I like your analogy to the jewelry. I love how we relate all things back to bling. We are PSers through and through. :halo: We started feeding Sammy end of September 2015 and then 4 others showed up a week later in October while we were still here on vacation. Sprite, Squirt, Fresca and Dr Pepper. Then Pepsi showed up. And not until this Spring did we see Cola, Ginger Ale, Seven Up, and RootBeer. I feel as if I am leaving a couple of ferals out but right now that is who I remember and that adds up to 10 not counting Sprite's offspring because they are not going to be ferals or outdoor kitties.

Your weekend celebrating your sister's birthday in Canada does sound like it will be bittersweet and difficult but nice to be around your loved ones during this time too. I'm not a gambler either. The Las Vegas trip doesn't appeal to me because (and correct me if I am wrong) as non-tradespeople we don't get to enter the jewelry show and can only attend the Saturday night party given by PS albeit get to meet a lot of great PSers and enjoy their company. For me it would be overwhelming meeting so many people at once and also flying. But for those PSers who go everyone has a wonderful time. It does seem like a terrific event if you aren't too far and don't mind flying. I always enjoy seeing the photos they share though I don't belong to the PS FB group so don't get to see lots of the pics. Just what is shared on PS.

Have a lovely time with your sister this weekend and happy birthday to her from the NIRDIs. And I am thinking of you sending big (((hugs))) and comforting thoughts your way.

CJ, hey there. Thanks for commenting on the shoes. They are not really my "style" per se but I think they are adorable and perhaps my new style where comfort which was always important to me becomes even more so. So yeah I am going to enjoy wearing them. How are you and how is your sweet kitty doing? Any weekend plans?

Sunstorm, we miss you here. I hope you are doing well and I am thinking of you.

Gypsy, thank you for understanding and I didn't get what you were going through till you explained. OMG I cannot believe that private lenders can do that. But I want you to know I have always been sympathetic for people who have large school loans as I think it is just awful to graduate in such debt and my heart goes out to everyone who has a large debt because of their education. That's one big advantage of living in a country where education is pretty much paid for and so much more civilized IMO. Believe me I was never not sympathetic and only trying to put it in perspective about if a problem can be solved with money it is not a problem BUT not in all cases obviously and certainly not your case which is extreme and knowing now that so many others are dealing with this (!!!) I thank you for opening my eyes. I had no clue. Ignorance is dangerous and if more people got it change would happen.

Again I am so sorry you are going through this nightmare and I hope it will be over for you sooner vs later and as another NIRDI said (sorry cannot remember who) if anyone can do it you can. And we are here to help support you emotionally and any other way we can. Don't be mad OK but have you thought about setting up a Go fund me page on FB? I know it sounds crazy (and I hope you are not offended because that is the last thing I want to do Gypsy!) but maybe you can get a nice chunk of it paid this way? Please don't be insulted and if I am way off base just chalk it up to my ignorance OK. I don't really know anything about the Go Fund Me page on FB but just thinking aloud and thinking for one person it's a huge amount of money but for a lot of people banding together it is way more manageable. If friends gave even only a small amount it would add up more quickly than you doing it all alone. You know the NIRDIs would help as much as they could! If I'm way off base please don't be upset with me OK but if there is any chance that could be an option don't discount it right way. I have given to a number of the Go Fund Me pages on FB and I know others do too and it's something that maybe you would consider. (((HUGS))) and Love to you dear Gypsy. I know you will be OK but right now you are going through a storm. Much like the painting I shared below. And it will soon be Calm After the Storm like the last painting shared here. (((HUGS))).

Thank you for the suggestion of trying to get non profit status. It is a good idea and I will speak with Ann because if anyone should apply for that it should be her though we pay for all our feral cats expenses and their offspring Ann deals with so many neighborhoods and their feral population and not everyone she helps can pay so I think it is a great idea for her. I have thought about it before but was hesitant to bring it up before I got to know her better. I think I can bring it up with her now though and thank you for that suggestion. My guess is that she might not want to go through the hassle. Everything is a huge hassle and I know you get that going through what you are going through and red tape makes everything challenging but it doesn't hurt to look into it!

So glad your foot is continuing to improve and yay for making healthy and tasty choices too. LOVE Whitey. He is so sweet and yes he is definitely saying hey momma, cmon, enough of the computer. Come here and entertain me! 8)

I LOVE that Haiku you shared here. Separation. So moving. ::)

We enjoyed yesterday in Lambertville and got to see bling and art and walk around during a gorgeous sunny albeit windy day. It was lovely. Here are 2 paintings we so badly wanted to buy and I feel a little guilty because if we didn't have some of our (because of me) expenses we could have gotten at least one of these paintings. But Greg doesn't think like that so don't worry girls. He is way on board with helping the ferals so I am very fortunate to have him by my side. He really is amazing. I don't know how I got so lucky and I have to pinch myself sometimes. I love him so much. Sorry for being mushy. :oops:

Back to the paintings.
My favorite was After Sundown and Greg's was Calm after the Storm but we both loved all 3 of this artist's paintings. And we got to meet the artist because by chance he was in the art gallery we visited yesterday. He just happened to be there meeting with the gallery owner when we walked in saying we loved these paintings in the window! How fortuitous right?

After Sundown
after_sundown_25x19.jpg

When you walk through a Storm
when_you_walk_through_a_storm_57x33.jpg

Calm After the Storm
calm_after_the_storm_70x46.jpg

These paintings by Michael Fratrich evoke a feeling of melancholy and sadness and the color play he creates is amazing. I find them haunting and a strong sense of loneliness comes over me looking at them. But in a good way like a sad song. They remind me and Greg of our 2 favorite artists Edward Hopper and Robert Cardinal. We own a Cardinal and love it but need to bring it to the beach house as it is in a spot in our Brooklyn apartment where I don't feel it is getting the love it deserves.

We did buy something yesterday and that was a gift for Ann our feral cat lady. I hope she likes it and finds it funny.
Hemingway was a cat lover. See we crazy cat people are in good company! :halo:

giftforann.jpg

giftforann.jpg

I also got some pics of a lovely antique diamond necklace I wouldn't have minded adding to my collection if funds permitted.

antiquediamondnecklaceatpp.jpg

and here's a pic of Greg in front of our fave antique jewelry shoppe.

greginfrontofmyfaveantiqueblingshop.jpg

Last set of pics from yesterday. Ducklings and Goslings and their mommas in Lamberville and New Hope. They are so precious.

duckmommaandbabies.jpg

A little bit dirty LOL but adorable nonetheless. :bigsmile:

duckilingssodirty.jpg

duckmommawithbabies.jpg

geesesosweet.jpg

And lastly the adorable diner where we had dinner last night. It was rated #1 diner in all of NJ so we have been meaning to try it out. OK it was decent enough for diner food but I am spoiled being from Brooklyn. No offense to all of you who aren't from Brooklyn but Brooklyn diners are #1 IMO to all diners I have ever been to and had the pleasure at dining in. Brooklyn Diners do it right. Pickles, breadsticks and bread basket at table immediately while you are perusing the menu. And the food/drink/dessert menu is endless. This diner last night was cute but so tiny and the menu while decent in options was not huge in choices and no basket! What?! No bread, no breadsticks, no pickles. So while it is a top diner in NJ I'm sorry but IMO cannot compare to our Brooklyn old school diners. Where the motto is leave em stuffed and still wanting more. :lol:

But Greg was chatting with the hostess and she told us that Bobby Flay ate at this diner and asked for the recipe for their delicious rice pudding. We will have to try that next time since we did not order dessert last night.

adorablediner.jpg

I hope you all have a wonderful Friday. Hey it's Friday so what could be bad? Enjoy! :wavey:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello :wavey:
Miss you girls, just a bit overwhelmed, nothing wrong, just too many things to do and not enough hours to do them. We are going to the summer house for the weekend, as we have invited guests like 6 months ago.. so no getting out of that one. The lab is not responding, and my DH finally bullied his way up the system, and they are having some problems with the testing. :wall: :angryfire: :wall: And to top it all off nicely, my neck is stuck. As in can not twist, turn or bend my head if you pay me for it.. :wall:

LOL

Hope you will all have a very nice weekend! I'll post some pictures from the summerhouse :)

I'm so sorry not to respond to you all, but I will do better another day. Missy, please tell Jimmianne that I'm very happy to hear that Pom is doing better!

One day at a time! Reminds me of "veni vidi vici" even if I do not know why. But we will :)

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'm butting in where I probably should not, but would it be possible for you to get a mortgage on for example your mother's house (if she has one)? At least here where I live, a mortgage loan would be easier to manage than that student loan that sounds a bit like a credit card debt in how it is handled and with its compound interests.. Probably not something that you (i) want and or (ii) have not been thinking about already, but desperate times and desperate measures, etc.. Hugs!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gang! Weekenddddd :appl:

Gypsy, it's hard to post and give tone, I just wanted to go on record that I'm not critical of your situation when I wrote above.

Off to take the Westies to their appointments at the allergist, I have Bob with me today which I'm so happy because the big dogs scare Maggie!!!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs all! Big hug to Gypsy as you navigate the loan stuff.
99% of my posts won't (post) and are lost
Thus the brevity
Lurking daily!
Love the duck photos and
Beautiful wide band!
Yay I posted

Those paintings are haunting
Lonely but beautiful

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, glad to hear from you! Party on a la francaise!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW that I Love Lucy episode about the candy factory is on Hallmark at 6:30 ET tomorrow morning. I've got my DVR set for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Gypsy, you definitely have done your research and tried to find ways out of the unfair practices those lenders have put on you. They seem to make it impossible for people to pay off their debt. Wouldn’t it be great if you could get that story on 60 minutes or a high profile show like that? It sure sounds like a lot of their fees and add-ons border or and should be illegal.

I am glad you are rested and feeling better today. Good deal to get some call backs on your interviews. I am sending mega PS dust your way.

My in-laws are here for a visit. They live in Florence, Arizona. They moved here about 15 years ago after they both retired and Marty’s grandma was still alive. They had a RV in Arizona then bought a house down there about 6 years ago. After Marty’s grandma died they decided to sell their place here and move down there permanently.

Nickel slots would be about my speed too.

Missy, sadly my new band is not ready to pick up. They promise to do it first thing tomorrow morning.

You and Greg got to the retro diner at the right time. There is a little breakfast diner here that has about 15 tables and it’s always packed. Stupid traffic!

We are taking the in-laws to breakfast in the morning then dinner later since my cleaning lady comes and I don’t like messing up my clean kitchen. We will probably see what they want to do tomorrow. Marty will probably play golf on Sunday.

I remember you said they only had the helmet in the smaller size but I guess my brain believed since you were ordering it online you had the option. At least it works for you and it looks great.

Love all of your pictures. The plaque you got for Ann is fabulous. The ducks are cute. Pretty pendant. Are you enjoying your new pendant? Great looking diner. Love the paintings.

Scandinavian, I keep hoping for good news on the logs but probably not as much as you do.

Jimmianne, glad to hear from you. I hope you are having a blast.

Kristie, I hope the appointment for the Westies went well.

Not much going on tonight. The in-laws are at the golf course bar for steak and shrimp night. We cooked some steaks on the grill and had veggies with them. I found some 4 oz sirloins at Omaha Steaks that are extra lean cut so they are 140 calories with 4 grahams of fat. Marty had 2 and I had one. They are kind of sticks about an inch high and 5 inches long They were pretty good.

Have a great weekend.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Marcy, thanks for letting us know about the chocolate factory episode today on I Love Lucy and I have it set to record thanks to you. Thank you! Smart idea to go out to breakfast with your inlaws so no mess in the kitchen. Yes there was no Aeon helmet glowing red anywhere online or in stores except at the Colorado Cyclist and only in the small. It works and I wore it for the first time cycling yesterday and I love it. I will share the pic Greg took 40 miles into the ride. We stopped for ice cream (of course haha) and were about to head home with only 20 miles left (tired because we were fighting a strong wind yesterday but it was sunny so quite happy about the sun being out all day) and Greg said we should get a pic of you wearing the helmet for it's first ride. So he did. Terrible pic (and sorry for repeating outfits pictured here but I had to wear my red cycling spf jersey with my Brooklyn cycling jersey because I was wearing the red helmet 8) ) but the helmet looks good and we managed to cycle 60 miles yesterday despite the strong head winds on the way back so yay for that. :appl:

redhelmetmaidenvoyage.jpg

And for more visual interest here's another item we bought in Lambertville the other day from our favorite store there (not including the jewelry store which is my fave jewelry store). It's called the Five and Dime and they have the cutest things. Lots of handmade furniture, antique pieces and adorable retro items plus metal work etc. Anyway we got this because I couldn't not get it. LOL. Fun right? It is titled Cats on the Beach.

catsonthebeach.jpg

I am enjoying my new pendant Marcy thank you. I wore it to PP in Lambertville and the ladies there said how pretty it is and they also liked my newest old cut daisy earrings. They are lovely because I didn't get either from them but Barbara says she doesn't own our right to buy bling wherever we want and if she doesn't have what we want she is glad we find it somewhere else. All of them are really lovely. Toni said she is keeping a lookout for me for the old cut riviera necklace that is on my wish list. Of course if she finds it I doubt I will be able to afford it LOL. Darn on your new wide band not being ready yesterday! I hope you get it and it fits perfectly today and that you love! It is a wonderful band and I am glad you are getting it and I think you will really enjoy wearing it. And soon enough you will be wearing it so just a minor delay. Please share pics when you get it OK? :appl:

Sounds like you had a good dinner last night and glad you are enjoying some quiet time with Marty while the in laws are still visiting. Seems like a very pleasant visit minus the perfume overkill. I hope you have a wonderful day today and enjoy the last weekend this visit with them.

Scandi, don't worry honey. Post when you feel like it and just read when you feel like it. No pressure. You are dealing with quite a lot on your plate and I hope you enjoy a fun weekend with friends and I hope that the log situation will get sorted out relatively soon. Hugs to you and your sweet pup and I am thinking of you.

Jimmianne, glad you were able to post yesterday. More healing vibes to Pom and continue having a marvelous time on your trip. :wavey:

Rainwood, I hope you are having a nice visit with your sister and family and sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts.

Hi Junie, LLJsmom, Kristie, Callie, Gypsy, CJ, Sharon and I hope I didn't forget anyone else but hi to everyone reading.
Have a good Saturday all. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cat Cafes in NYC

video:
http://www.wsj.com/video/cat-cafe-tour-of-new-york-city/71E61D4F-3BA0-4683-BCE1-BB27779C1645.html

Article:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/feline-fine-at-new-yorks-cat-cafes-1465604615

New York City has four cat cafés, coffee and bakery joints that offer feline companionship and adoption, but each spot has a unique flavor. Video: Carly Marsh/The Wall Street Journal, Photo: Kevin Hagen for The Wall Street Journal

By ANNE KADET
June 10, 2016 8:23 p.m. ET

Zeitgeist can be cruel. In 2014, Erin McShane started planning New York’s first cat cafe. When she finally launched Little Lions this spring, it was the third to open in Manhattan.

Ms. McShane says she briefly considered giving up on her SoHo teahouse for cats and cat lovers. “But then I decided, ‘Oh, who cares. Mine will be the best!’ ”

To my mind, she pulled it off.

I just spent the week visiting and ranking the city’s four cat cafes—joints offering feline companionship and adoption along with the usual croissants and cappuccino.

My credentials? I’m strictly a dog person. My mind isn’t clouded by crazy cat love.

I’m also proud of my scoring system, an algorithmic marvel accounting for factors ranging from number of cats to furniture comfort and lint roller availability.

On these measures, Little Lions, which charges $11 for an hour of kitty companionship, won by a whisker.

With its hardwood floors, fireplace and cushy sofas, this “cat sanctuary” has the look and feel of an elegant living room.

Dining options include cat-shaped pancakes, pastries from Balthazar and a $36 afternoon tea.

Getting Cozy With Kitties at New York’s Cat Cafes
Need a feline fix with your croissants and cappuccino? The city has four cafes that offer cat companionship and adoption.

Ashley Young, visiting New York City from Kansas, holds a kitten at the Brooklyn Cat Cafe.
Tamara Litt pets one of the cats during tea time at Little Lions cat sanctuary and tea house in Manhattan. Little Lions is one of four cat cafes in New York City.
Two kitties cuddle at Little Lions. The business features cats that are available for adoption.
Volunteer Shelley Wininger comes to the Brooklyn Cat Cafe to ‘get her cat fix’ since her husband is allergic.
A kitten at the Brooklyn Cat Cafe. The cafe is owned and operated by the nonprofit Brooklyn Bridge Animal Welfare Coalition.
Tamara Litt snuggles with a cat at Little Lions.
A cat finds a perch on a shelf at Little Lions. Visitors can spend time with the cats for $11 for an hour.
Chris Sell, founder of the Chip Shop down the street, comes to the Brooklyn Cat Cafe during a break from work.
Play time at the Brooklyn Cat Cafe.
Ashley Young, visiting New York City from Kansas, holds a kitten at the Brooklyn Cat Cafe.
Tamara Litt pets one of the cats during tea time at Little Lions cat sanctuary and tea house in Manhattan. Little Lions is one of four cat cafes in New York City.
PreviousNext
8 of 9 fullscreen
Ashley Young, visiting New York City from Kansas, holds a kitten at the Brooklyn Cat Cafe. BESS ADLER FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL Play time at the Brooklyn Cat Cafe. BESS ADLER FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL Tamara Litt pets one of the cats during tea time at Little Lions cat sanctuary and tea house in Manhattan. Little Lions is one of four cat cafes in New York City. KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Like its competitors, Little Lions also offers cat yoga and screenings of movies such as “The Aristocats.”

But animals are the main attraction, and Little Lions features extremely friendly cats. When I visited, there were a dozen felines roaming the parlor, vying for attention. I enjoyed puppet play with Ginger, a goofy calico, and teasing Liono, an oversize marmalade, with a feather stick.

One shortcoming: the cafe’s “cat comfort coordinator,” who serves as a hostess, was extravagantly reserved.

“She’s a bit more interested in engaging with the cats than the people,” says Ms. McShane.

Meow Parlour, on the Lower East Side, is the city’s original cat cafe. Co-founder Christina Ha says that in a small town, four cat cafes would be a problem. But not in New York. “We are all targeting cat people, but in a different way,” she says.

Meow Parlour’s specialty? Hard-to-adopt kitties.

“It’s such a bad decision—to stock my whole place with shy cats and cats with medical issues and cats that freak out in cages. But we did it,” says Ms. Ha. “And it’s great.”

The cafe, which charges $5 a half-hour, draws locals and tourists aplenty. One afternoon, the visitors nearly outnumbered the 14 cats.

Here, the seating consists mainly of beanbag chairs and mats on the floor. But the hostesses are friendly, and the cafe provides a detailed profile on each cat.

I met Willie, “a bookish type” who likes “snuggles, quiet times and pigeons” and Tang, a three-legged kitty who enjoys “adulation, pillow talks and snacks.”

Don’t we all?

Ben Kalb says he visited more than 30 cat cafes in Japan before launching Koneko Cat Cafe, also on the Lower East Side.

“I’m a little crazy,” he says.

His Japanese theme informs the décor, music, menu and activities, which include karaoke and cooking lessons.

Mr. Kalb says the 15 to 20 cats on site are screened for friendliness. But upon paying the $15 entry fee, I met a tough crowd. Scoop, a black-and-white shedder, gave me a nip when I wouldn’t take a hint.

“At the end of the day, that’s the one thing I can’t control,” says Mr. Kalb. “Cats are sometimes cranky or tired.” He suggests visiting at the start of the day, when the cats want company.

On the plus side, Koneko features a duplex “cattery” and outdoor “catio,” lots of low-slung couches and an intriguing library featuring titles such as “Crafting with Cat Hair.”

For those who enjoy drinking with cats, there’s an extensive beer, wine and sake menu.

The city’s newest cat cafe just opened in Brooklyn, and it’s a bit of a twist. While the other cafes work with rescue groups, the Brooklyn Cat Cafe is owned and operated by the nonprofit Brooklyn Bridge Animal Welfare Coalition. The cozy Atlantic Avenue storefront is staffed with volunteers, giving it a down-home feel.

The big attraction here: kittens galore. I found myself with a tiny calico on my lap and a sweet tabby curled beside me. Two little girls approached to pet the kittens, and we all swapped stories about flushing goldfish down the toilet. Is there a better way to spend a Sunday?

Have something to say about an article in Greater New York? Email us, along with your contact information, at [email protected]. Letters will be edited for brevity and clarity. Please include your city and state.

This joint isn’t actually a cafe. Visitors purchased soft drinks from the picnic cooler; snacks include packaged chips and cookies. Coalition President Anne Levin says the cafe will soon have runners fetching orders from the nearby bagel shop.

But like the others, this place is a delight. I can only hope all four thrive.

In Japan, of course, the cat cafe phenomenon “Is already played out,” jokes Mr. Kalb. “They’re onto the next thing.”

The latest in Tokyo: a hedgehog cafe. Can Brooklyn be far behind?

Write to Anne Kadet at [email protected]

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls - not much of a chance lately to do a proper check-in but I wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone -

Missy, love the pics of your trip to Lambertville and the paintings you posted are amazing. The espadrilles kristie sent you are adorable, very summery and fun. The gift you bought Ann is perfect. :clap: Your new helmet looks great on you. The shark picture is very cute. You look fantastic in your cycling outfit.

Actually, I take melatonin myself every night, 3 mg. It helps me sleep and I seem to tolerate it well and don't notice any negative side effects. People react differently to it though so it's an individual thing I guess.

Good idea about taking in the food at night to encourage the ferals to come out during the day, I never even thought of that. I'm glad a few of the kitties are making an appearance during the day, that's good news.

So glad Jimmianne checked in with you, very happy to hear her trip is going well and Pom is doing ok.

LLJsmom, I'm glad you're back to running and enjoying it. Thanks for the good wishes, yeah, hopefully I can get my mother on a more normal schedule but right now I'm not feeling too confident. I might have to look into getting a night nurse at some point.

Marcy, I really love your new band! Beautiful, I was looking at bands like this a while back and I just might start looking again - although the bling budget is empty right now lol. Sounds like the visit with the in-laws is going well.

Rainwood, thank you and I will check back with you if the melatonin doesn't help. I can check with her doctor about interactions with other medications. I hope you have a relaxing and pleasant weekend.

Scandi, glad you're going to the summer house, I know life can get crazy and you deserve a break. Sorry the log issue is dragging on, how frustrating for you. I hope your neck is feeling better soon, take care of yourself and get it checked out if you're not doing better soon.

Gypsy, I am just so sorry about your student loan issues, what a frustrating and stressful situation. I know that's an understatement. I really wish I had an answer for you but I can at least lend my support and understanding and I'm really glad posting in this thread is helping you. It has helped me a lot too, just knowing there are people who care and having an opportunity to vent and share feelings and emotions.

Jimmianne, so great to hear from you! Sounds like you're doing well and having a good time :clap:

Unfortunately, nothing that great to report on my end - to be honest, I'm struggling right now with my mother coming to live with me - I feel like I might not have the strength for this; between her memory issues and poor mobility she needs constant care and I'm afraid I might not be able to do this day in and day out, even with help - and I'm nervous she won't adjust well to my house. But I made the commitment, things are in place, and it's probably the best choice we have right now. I know some of you (maybe all of you lol) think it's time for a NH, but there are financial considerations and I'd still be very involved in her care anyway. No great solutions here but if I can put on my big girl pants in my heart I think staying with family is the better option for her. I guess the issue is whether it's the best option for me. Luckily dh is very supportive and willing to do anything that will make this easier for me. My sister seems willing to help too.

Ugh, I just reread what I wrote, how very depressing! Sorry for being such a downer, I promise this is the last I'll go on about this. Thanks for listening, you guys don't even have to bother responding, I know there's not a whole lot to say. I just wanted to fill you in on how I'm doing - aren't you all so lucky ha!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are having guests at the summerhouse: I had forgotten how exhausting it is with babies... and they are twins.... let's fokus on the view:

20160610_221147.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Junie, what you wrote is not bringing anyone down. Please don't feel like you are because you are not and I hope sharing here helps even if just a little bit. You know sorrows shared are sorrows halved. And joy shared is joy doubled. I truly feel that way when I share the happy and the sad here and I hope you do too.

This is life and while I cannot speak for the other girls here I can assure you no one thinks you are crazy for what you are doing. You are doing what your heart wants to do and what you feel is best for your mother. That is admirable. And you will be having help. Professional and hopefully your siblings will be there to help you too. I think the key is making sure you take breaks and vacations so you don't get burned out. I know it seems obvious but as long as you make sure you are taking care of yourself and getting time for yourself this will be way more manageable. And when it becomes unmanageable you will know that too. This situation isn't static and might change and when it is time for a change you will realize it. Right now this is the best situation/solution and when it stops being the best solution you can change it. (((HUGS))).

I took this photo just before I posted this morning and am sharing it with you. I find it peaceful and hope you do too.

sunrisevacationjune2016.jpg

sunrisejune122016.jpg

sunrisejune122016.jpg

I'm glad that melatonin is working well for you and now I am interested since you are having success with it. What brand are you taking? Thanks Junie. Hope you have a good Sunday and will check back with you later.

Scandi, love your beautiful views. I hope your weekend with friends is going smoothly and that you are all enjoying yourselves. And giving you renewed energy to deal with things. (((Hugs))) and enjoy the rest of your visit with your friends.

Callie, I hope you enjoyed your dinner at the Mexican restaurant last night and that you had a good Margarita too. And I hope your weather is cooling off a bit. It is very warm here today and the winds are once again super high. In the 20 plus mph range. So it will be an abbreviated bike ride this morning because 2 days in a row of biking in high winds is enough for us. We sort of feel beat up LOL. And Ann is coming this afternoon for a second visit with the kitties so we have to be back for that anyway. Hope you have a good Sunday and TTYL.

Marcy, did you pick up your beautiful new band yesterday? I hope it fits perfectly and cannot wait to see it on your hand. :love:

I hope the rest of you girls are enjoying a nice weekend. :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
June, Missy is so right. You aren't depressing us and if it lightens the load for just 3 minutes to release your worries here please do. We only want to be there for you even if it is to read your update on a thread. What missy said about you doing what your heart wants to do is so right. I spent the day with my my and I as a great time. It's scary to think when she really will need my help with everything. I nee to enjoy my time with her now.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello :wavey:

June, I think that you are doing the right ting by trying. At least if it does not work out, you know that you tried. Better than regretting it the other way around..

Today view :)

img_20160612_154234.jpg

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Greetings from Canada!!

It's been jam-packed here as it usually is so just a quick word.

Missy, glad your red helmet worked. It looks fabulous! And love the Cats on the Beach. So nice and so appropriate! And it shows 5 cats - is that prophetic? And another visit with the kitties! Also fun.

Junie, it's totally normal to feel as you do. And not a downer. We're at that stage of life where life has challenges. And one piece of info that might be helpful at some point. My mother ultimately went to a memory support center that was wildly expensive because it had programs for the residents all day long (none of which involved sitting in front of a TV), low staff turnover, and an assigned caregiver that stayed the same all the time (and a small enough staff to resident ratio that they really had time to care for them). Once we sold my mom's house, money wasn't an issue, but I found out that some of the residents were there at no cost to them through Medicare or Medicaid or some other program. I had no idea! So don't assume that a good facility for your mom (if that time comes) is out of reach financially. Ask and see if it really is. You might be surprised.

Scandi, lovely scenery. I hope that peaceful view gives you some serenity. I feel for you. I"m headed for a birthday party for 3 and 4 year olds! Hope I leave with my sanity intact!

Marcy, glad the in-laws are having a good time and you sound like are too. And that they used to live there so are happy to go out on their own. Makes a big difference when you don't have to be the 24-hour social director. Bummer on the delay in getting your ring. Once you decide to get something, waiting is so hard!

Gotta go party with the little kids!! I'll check back in when I get home Monday.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Missy, love the picture of you with your snazzy new red helmet. You look fabulous in your biking gear. That’s nice you had sunshine and got in a nice ride.

Cats on the Beach is a fabulous picture. It is perfect for the beach house.

I am delighted to hear you are enjoying your new pendant. Those ladies sound very nice at the jewelry store. How nice of them to be genuinely interested in what jewelry you want whether it comes from them or not.

I love the sunrise photos.

Junebug, I understand why you are struggling right now with the big change coming to your life. You are taking on a large, difficult and emotional challenge and I am sure things will be bumpy for a while but hopefully it smooths out for everyone quickly. You are doing what you think is best right now and I am delighted to hear your DH and sister are being supportive of you. When and if you decide having your mom live with you isn’t working you will decide to make other arrangements.

Please don’t refrain from sharing your thoughts, concerns, worries or feelings with us. We don’t mind a bit and we are here to listen and support you.

I hope you find the perfect band sometime soon. The little tiny diamonds and large band do give a lot of finger coverage. A wide band was really a whim but it is so different than anything I own and I found this one in my okay I’ll spend that range. Sadly I got an additional 5% off card in the mail from that store this weekend. Oh well.

Scandinavian, beautiful pictures!

LLJsmom, speaking of your mom is she getting a new diamond too? I know you mentioned she was thinking about it.

Rainwood, the place your mom was in sounds like a top notch facility. I was so impressed by our hospice here I donate to them all the time. No one wants to be at either place so it’s nice to have attentive, caring help.

How was the party with the little kids?

We had a nice day yesterday with the in-laws. We took them out to breakfast after the cleaning lady showed up. They went and picked up Marty’s great uncle and brought him to breakfast. All of us ran errands after we ate then worked on stuff around the house. Marty bought another patio umbrella from a guy in our community for $400 so he and his dad set that up. Missy it looks a lot like the one you sent me a link to at Costco. It seems nicer and sturdier than the one we had that broke.

We went to an early supper last night then stopped at the golf course for a drink on the way home. We ran in to friends and ended up drinking and visiting for hours. I switched to ice water after 1 drink though so I was fine to drive home.

I picked up my ring in the afternoon. I like it quite a bit. I was going to get pictures this morning but I got busy doing other things. Maybe I can get some tonight. I had it made a size larger than I normally wear and it’s kind of loose and falls off my left hand. I’ll have to watch it in the winter when my hands are cold.

After the in-laws left and Marty went to play golf I went to the grocery store and started working on laundry. I have to get our front guest room and guest bathroom ready for a friend of Marty’s next weekend.

My adventures today involved I walked through some mud and kept getting it all over our clean floors before i realized it was my shoes and I needed to clean off my shoes. Cleaned up that mess. Then I threw out a ton of cereal and ran it down the garage disposal and it backed up my sinks in the kitchen. I tried baking soda and vinegar to clear out the clog and it worked like a charm. I had to do it twice but it worked well. Hopefully I am through with silly little mishaps today.

We just had a very nice rainstorm. Keeping Wyoming green - one rain shower at a time.

Have a great Sunday.
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a little sunshine so shot a few quick pictures of my band

wgrgband.jpeg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy torrential rain! It is raining sideways and very heavy here.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't keep up with al of you, but I do come visit from time to time :)

Missy, having a basic idea of what part of Jersey you are in, I had to google the diner to see if it was the one I thought. Yes. The picture brought a smile to my face. While I don't know if I ever actually ate there, it's in the general "neck of the woods" where I grew up. Back when I was a kid, ALL the local diners brought you the pickles you mentioned, and many the bread as well. I guess it's a sad sign of the times that it's not SOP anymore. :(

Two weeks until I'm in NJ again. Time to tune up my accent. If you are going to be in or near OG around then, let me know.
(by the way, I'm originally from Brooklyn, too.)

Marcy: that ring...beautiful! It looks perfect on your hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results