shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, where are the pictures? If there is not one clear winner we might have to suggest you get them both however if you are not in love with either of them perhaps neither is right. The thing is if you think you will be lamenting about the one(s) that got away then perhaps they are the rings for you. Pics needed for our opinions though it is only your (and your dh's) opinion that matters.

LLJsmom, how are you feeling today? I hope your mood is brighter and that you are getting excited about receiving your ring. I have no doubt that you are going to love it though I do understand your nervousness because it is a lot of money. However Victor will stand behind the ring so please do not worry. You are going to love it in any case. I know that. I just contacted you on loupe troop to say hey and share my email with you. :wavey:

Frustrated and feeling overwhelmed vent coming up so skip it if you are not in the mood...

I am very depressed myself right now as I woke up and the redness and papules on my face are coming back and all my good cheer and hopeful optimism are out the window. I guess these past few days the steroid (I stopped applying this past Sunday) had still been keeping my skin quieter and now I feel overwhelmed. I mean I was hoping that my face was going to remain clear and that it wasn't all from the steroid effect but unfortunately that was/is not the case.

The prescription topicals my derm gave me might be making me worse or not and I haven't even used all of them yet. It is impossible to tell and it is such a guessing game as to what might help or might exacerbate the reaction. I am so down. I don't even care about PT or going to my sessions or my ankle or my toe because if my face gets worse I am just going to stay at home all the time from now on. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am sorry if it seems I am giving up. I am not but I am feeling hopeless right now that I will never have normalcy again or a real quality of life again. I will either have to get used to being like this or not. I am going to either have to suck it up and deal or withdraw from society and right now I want to withdraw. The uncomfortableness of my skin feeling raw is coming back on top of the appearance and that is just enough to send me over the proverbial edge.

I hope everyone has a good day and again I am sorry to have to vent once again and I trust and hope that I am not bringing anyone down with sharing how I feel. Otherwise I wouldn't share my feelings here as I share them as a sort of catharsis and just to get them out and I know you guys support me. Thanks and (((hugs))) for listening.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, just emailed you. ((((HUG)))).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, Oh honey, did you call the doctor and let him know what's going on? You sound completely overwhelmed right now. It's not hopeless, but I can completely understand why you are feeling like you are right now. Does your doctor seem to understand how this is making you feel? In other words he needs to realize how this affects your overall mental health. You do know that EVERY woman would feel as you are right now. I keep assuming he understands women but want to make sure you feel he does. How long can you stay on the medicine that provided the most relief and improvement with? Can you go back on this or is this just a temporary fix and the problem will come back as soon as you stop taking it. Can you continue to take this with other treatments or will it mask the problem and you won't know if other medicines are working. Has the doctor said this is an issue that will get worse before it gets better.

As you have stated in other posts he needs to find what will work for you. He also needs to know how this is making you feel in the meantime. If you haven't had a frank discussion with him about your feelings, please call and talk to him. Tell the nurse how you feel. If their practice is a good one they will make your doctor call you back. Missy, if you don't think he is taking you seriously we need to start finding you another doctor. Being in New York you have access to the very best out there.

I'm sorry my questions are all over the place. I'm just very worried about you. I'm going to send my email to LLJs mom to give to you and Marcy. You can email me privately anytime.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJsmom, I sent you an email. Can you please let me know If you received it. Thank you, Callie

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah missy, big giant hugs being sent sweetie, so sorry to hear you are feeling so down and overwhelmed right now - I really get it, this situation with your skin is beyond frustrating, you have several things going on and no real cure, just a lot of trial and error. It's rough, it really is. I have faith you're going to work through these feelings eventually, but in the meantime go easy on yourself - and you know what? If you're not up to doing PT right now, just say the heck with it and give yourself a break! You've been working very hard, it's not the end of the world to stop for a bit. Be kind to yourself, know that we are here for you and that you have so many people in your life who care about you, especially that doll of a husband you yours! Give your mind and your body a break, and give yourself some time to work through all these emotions and feelings you are having. It's ok not to be strong for a while. Please know I do get how you're feeling, and you are in my thoughts. Please touch base with us later, even if you're still not feeling great. Just want to hear from you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies.

LLJsmom, thank you so much for the hugs and all your support. Sending big hugs right back at you and I hope you had a good day.

Callie, thank you honey. My dermatologist knows me pretty well and I know he is doing what he can but right now there is no miracle treatment and I hope with time I will find something that will help. Right now my face feels raw and uncomfortable but I am trying to put it in perspective. And also trying not to look in the mirror. Thank you for caring Callie.

Did you decide about the rings yet?

Junebug, thank you so much for your kindness and empathy. I think I am going to take your advice and just give myself a break from PT. Thank you and I want you to know you are in my thoughts as well. I hope your mom is doing well and that you are being kind to yourself too.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I've been so worried about you this afternoon. Are you feeling a little better? I know how frustrating all this has been for you and I am so sorry honey. I've been home all day today and have been thinking of you. I'm glad you are giving yourself a break and just taking care of yourself. I just hate the thought of you being home by yourself feeling so bad. Was Greg home this afternoon and does he understand how hard this is on you? I know he's a great husband but men sometimes aren't the best at understanding this kind of thing. At least my husband wouldn't be. Is there anything I can do to help you?

My niece texted me late this afternoon. She is feeling very much like you are. She said the new medicine isn't working at all and she is taking the Accutane as soon as they will give it to her. She knows I'm not thrilled about her taking it due to side effects but I understand how upsetting this is for her. She said she's at the point she where she would take anything if it will help her face. She is really good about eating a healthy diet and exercises all the time. She can't understand what would be making her skin so bad recently. She asked if we could go shopping once school lets out. I know this sounds bad but I am going to spoil her and I really don't care if I get in trouble for it. It breaks my heart to hear sounding so sad.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for checking in missy, you probably really didn't feel like it lol - but I'm glad to hear from you. Continuing to think of you - and thanks for thinking of me! My sister is staying with my mother for a few days, so I'm actually getting a break, which I'm enjoying! :cheeky:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy

I've been following your story even though I haven't posted for awhile. I'm sorry that the dermatological problems are throwing you for such a loop. I'm sure it seems like life is just piling on, but that's the same process as tempering steel. The more you go through, the stronger you get. I know how hard it is to gain perspective, particularly when you're home alone a lot of the time with not much to distract you from your thoughts, but I'm going to see if I can offer you a different viewpoint.

First, no one is going to notice your skin nearly as much as you do. I'm sure you think everyone is staring, but the truth is most people are oblivious to things we think are the equivalent of a neon sign flashing in front of their faces. People really don't pay attention to things as much as we think they do. How do I know this? In the early part of October, I went to the dermatologist to get a spot on my face checked to see if it was skin cancer. It wasn't, but it was a touch of seb. derm and he decided to freeze it off. I'd never had this done before, and so didn't know what to expect. By the next day, I had what looked like a giant cigarette burn on my face, and I was extremely self-conscious. I tried to put concealer on it, but thought it didn't do much to hide anything. I had a lot of things I had to go out and do, and I'd occasionally apologize for my appearance and virtually no on had even noticed. Truthfully. Sometimes I had to point it out. It was quite the eye-opener for me. People really don't notice or judge as much as we think they do, and if you explain, people are sympathetic because everyone has stuff going on. For the few people you run into who do seem to notice and judge, it's a good test of who you don't want to spend time with.

Second, you have a husband who loves and cares for you and goes to great lengths to make sure you're okay. Having someone like that at your side is more important than anything. I know this because I had a a husband like that and lost him to cancer in September. I'm not saying this to get condolences or sympathy. I've had all the condolences I can handle, and am now trying to move forward. I'm telling you so you'll know you are very, very lucky. Go out into the world on the arm of the man you married and stand proud. Enjoy that you can walk again and are making progress. Enjoy the holiday season. You have so much to be thankful for even when it feels like everything is going wrong. You really do.

Focus on the good, find something that you can mentally immerse yourself in so you can get out of your head, and everything will start to look better. It really will.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies!

Missy, I am so sorry to hear your face is taking a turn for the worse again. Hugs to you and you have every right to be upset about it. Don’t give up. I think it will take time to figure out what works and helps control breakouts. I agree with Callie a call in to your dermatologist is a good idea.

You definitely are entitled to a break from everything.

We definitely do our part for the economy. Your new jacket sounds great. Marty’s shirt with his poker chip turned out fabulous! I also got a new dressy wool coat and down vest from Lands End. I don’t have anything on the way for next week though. I should get on that!

Thank you for your comments about the den. Marty has been spending a lot of time in there. I don’t know if it’s the new layout or the chair. I will probably come home and find the chair has been moved to the man cave.

They are only expecting a few inches of snow here so that shouldn’t bother the plane. The local flights are usually not sold out so they often cancel them at the last minute. I think Marty would have time to make it to the airport in Denver on time for his connecting flight.

I am a firm believer in gut feelings too. I think a more crowded car on the subway would be safer.

I am delighted to hear your ankle gets better all the time. Your January appointment seemed so far away from your last appointment but it’s almost here and look at how much progress you’ve made since your last visit. I hope the surgeon has some suggestions for the tendon in your toe.

LLJsmom, I think some kind of alert app would be great. I’d set mine up to buzz when Marty was going to a golf store or trying on watches. Dealing with my parents estate has been a real eye opener. I am definitely having a CPA figure taxes for me. They’ll have to do my dad’s final return; the family trust return and ours. My inheritance was very small but I’d rather have a CPA do all of it for me. Sees chocolate covered almonds sound great; they would take my mind off my ring. That would be awesome if we could send each other treats for real! Thank you for thinking of us. I will create an account to Loupe Troup and send you an email. While I’m there I should try to sell some of my never worn jewelry.

Callie, please don’t give it a second thought; your stress is no less important than mine. Was one of the rings something that you really loved? I hear you on buying things that you end up not liking so much anymore. My closet, jewelry box and house are full of such things.

I am doing a little better this week than last week, thank you for asking. Marty and I are only exchanging small gifts that fit in our stockings. Our latest Snoopy print is our Christmas present. I think Christmas and New Years days will be the hardest; we always took my parents out to dinner or had them over here. Do you have all your shopping done yet?

I am sure your niece will enjoy going shopping with you.

Junebug, I am glad you are getting a break for a few days. You deserve it.

Rainwood, your words spoke volumes to me about what a strong, thoughtful and caring person you are. Hugs to you.

Hi Ovi.

Marty played golf today. Tomorrow I am going to brave the grocery store and buy what I need for my holiday baking. We are having supper with friends tomorrow night then Marty is leaving Sunday. Busy weekend!

Take care. Have a great weekend.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, I am so sorry about your niece's skin problems. At her age it is even more devastating and I completely understand her desire to start Accutane if the Minocycline is not working. The thing is I am glad she has a few more weeks of taking the Mino before her next derm appointment with her original derm because it can take time for the meds to start working and to start working fully. And believe me when I say I understand patience is key. It is something I am lacking to be sure even after going through this whole leg affair. Tell her we are all thinking of her (because I think it helps knowing people are rooting for you and cheering you on yanno?) and sending healing vibes her way. And big (((hugs))). And I think she might have a pair of some gorgeous boots in her future via her amazing and loving aunt. :halo: :bigsmile:

Callie, as for what you can do to help me you and all the lovely and caring ladies here are doing just that. Being here for me through my challenging year. I know if good thoughts and wishes could make me all better I would have been there already but it goes a long way in making me feel better. (((HUGS))).

Oh, and don't think we forgot about your ring dilemma...c'mon now...time to spill. What did you end up doing? If you are still searching for the perfect dinner ring let us loose online and we will see what we can do. Just let us know some specifications and I know we will give it our best sleuthing skills. :appl:

Junebug haha you are right. I didn't feel like posting at all last night but when I saw your kind request I had to let you know I was OK. I feel embarrassed because I know there are people who might be reading (not the people posting here of course) who have to think I am being a baby but my face hurts and well having 3 conditions on my face at once is no small potatoes. I know you get that. But I also am trying very hard to put it all in perspective. Thank you again for caring about me.

I am so happy your sister is helping out and giving you a bit of a rest. Please take full advantage and do exactly what you want to do. And see if your dear sister cannot help out more often. Enjoy your time to yourself and I am sending your wise advice from you to me back to you again. Be kind to yourself. (((Hugs))) being sent your way.

Marcy, I am glad the weather won't delay Marty and his business trip. Sending safe flying and traveling vibes his way. I love that you both are enjoying the den and if he has moved the chair to the man cave I say it is time to purchase a couple more of those lovely electric recliners to have in both rooms.

I think it is perfect to exchange small meaningful gifts. You guys have been through a lot of trauma this year with losing your dear parents and the holidays are always a tough time of year when you are missing loved ones.

Enjoy your weekend with Marty and your friends tonight and I have a feeling your holiday baking will keep you busy and he will be back before you know it. And know your friends here are thinking of you at this difficult time and sending you much love and hugs.

Now you have me thinking about Sees chocolate...I never even heard of it before. Don't make me google new chocolates lol. It is the last thing I need to be eating after the last couple of weeks indulging myself. Why is it that chocolate and peanut butter make everything seem a bit better while you are eating it that is? Haha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Rainwood, thank you for your wise and caring post. I am going to try to express how much your post meant to me and I apologize if I fall short.

I am so very sorry about your husband. I know you don't want more condolences but I needed to let you know how terribly sorry I am and that my heart goes out to you.

Your words resounded strongly with me and I am taking your words to heart. You are so right (as you always are wise woman). When it comes right down to it I am not dealing with major issues. Perspective is important. It is not life or death and Greg is by my side (whether he wants to be or not haha) and I will get through this with his love and support. I do have much to be thankful for and thank you from the bottom of my heart in reminding me of that.

I know we don't really know each other but you have been here for me when I have needed you even with all you were and are going through. I wish there was something, anything, I could do for you. Please do not hesitate to ask if there is anything I can do. Anything at all. Perhaps I want to do this as much for me as for you because you have done so much for me. But in any case this offer is for you and not for me so I understand if nothing at all is your choice.

However I am here for you and want you to know how much I mean that. You have made such a (positive) difference in my life this past year and if you know at least that perhaps that will have to be enough. But my offer is sincere and you can take me up on it anytime.

I know you are moving forward and I know you have many friends and family who love you who will help and support you. Your PS family loves you too.

Thank you once again for taking the time and energy to post here for me. I am sending many (((HUGS))) and much love your way.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls!

Missy, I hope you are feeling a little better today. I hope you know we all truly want to do whatever we can to help you. You mean a lot to me which does seem kind of strange to say to someone you have never meant. You have brightened many of my days with your wonderful sense of humor and your kind and thoughtful way. You are such a warm and kind person. I sincerely hope you know that you do as much to support us as we do you. You are a wonderful friend. Hugs

Thank you for your support with my niece. She sounded a little better when we spoke today. She said she's been exercising like crazy because it helps her stress levels. She also threw out the comment that if her face is going to look bad, she needs to keep her cute butt. She was laughing so at least she still has her sense of humor. The stress of school has also been getting to her. She did thank me for not teasing her about how she feels about her face. She has been feeling so down about it.

The rings didn't seem nearly as important to me yesterday. I decided I would go back and take a look today and put it out of my mind yesterday. I went back today and they really looked so much prettier in person. I honestly did not find them attractive in the pictures I took. Well I bought one of them. She is holding the other one until Thursday when I pick up the one I purchased. She said the other ring could be put on layaway and lowered the price. I was hoping my husband would tell me to go ahead and buy both, but no such luck. You know how it is with estate/antique pieces, once they are sold they can be nearly impossible to find again.

Marcy, Thank you for being so kind but I still feel bad for worrying about unimportant things when you are dealing with all you are. Please know that I'm here for you if you need anything. Did Marty make it home safely? Any plans for tomorrow?

LLJsmom, Did your ring arrive? I'm dying to hear all about. Are you in love??? Pictures please. I know those nails also look gorgeous.

Junebug, Did you do anything fun today? I'm glad your sister was able to give you a bit of a break. Does she live nearby?

Rainwood, I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband. I know you said you don't want condolences but I am truly sorry. Your posts are always so kind and thoughtful and you help so many people here. I wish there was something I could do to help you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Callie! I feel the same way about you. You are such a dear to me and a good friend. I don't know how I would have managed these last 6 months without you.

And please check your emails...there is some exciting news. :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1418517566|3800781 said:
Thank you Callie! I feel the same way about you. You are such a dear to me and a good friend. I don't know how I would have managed these last 6 months without you.

Boy you weren't kiddding! I love it!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1418517566|3800781 said:

Boy you weren't kiddding! I love it!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies!

I cannot believe how dark it is now in the mornings. I am looking forward to the days getting longer after next week because these short dark days are not a mood lifter. Though funnily enough my mother prefers the shorter dark days as she says it gives her an excuse to stop working and cleaning and running errands etc. I however need no such excuse lol. :cheeky:

How is everyone's christmas/holiday shopping going? I suggested going to the malls today and Greg reminded me this is not the time of year to be around people and stores haha. I have a short memory sometimes. Fortunately the weather is nice and not too cold so I think we will be walking outside and enjoying the day that way.

LLJsmom, I bet you didn't get much sleep last night unless all the happy excitement knocked you out lol. I hope you had sweet diamond dreams. :love:

Callie, I am sorry your niece's skin isn't clearing on the Mino. IMO exercise isn't only good for her body but beneficial for the mind in so many ways. When I feel very down and I do a long workout (which are the only types of workouts I have been doing these days) I feel so much better emotionally/mentally during and after the workout. I know the endorphins are pumping but I think sweating helps too somehow. My face even looks a bit better after an intense workout. Getting those toxins out maybe. Anyway hugs to your sweet niece and I know how she is feeling even though I did not have to deal with these issues at her young age so what she is dealing with is even more challenging. I hope she is feeling better today.

I like your plan for the ring and maybe your dh will surprise you and decide he wants you to get the other...have you come out directly and asked him how he would feel about you purchasing the other. Sometimes men don't get it and maybe if you directly asked him he would be like sure. Just a thought. I know you said pics don't do the ring(s) justice but hey we are PSers and would love to see the bling. Plus this is hangout not Show Me the Bling so the standards for pics aren't as exacting. Just saying... :cheeky:

Marcy, how are you doing? I think Marty is leaving on his trip this morning. I hope your dinner with friends went well last night and you all enjoyed yourselves.

Junebug, I hope you are having a relaxing weekend and pampering yourself or getting pampered (sounds weird doesn't it lol like getting diapered haha but never mind you know what I mean) and enjoying a deserved R & R.

Thinking of everyone and hoping you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies!

Missy, I am good today, thanks! How are you doing? IMO - chocolate and peanut butter are one of life’s special treats. It must have healing power. Don’t fret about worrying about your skin conditions; it is very understandable because it’s your face and it is very uncomfortable. I think you do a good job at keeping things in perspective but that doesn’t mean you can’t and won’t worry. Too funny your mom says once it’s dark she has an excuse to stop working, cleaning and running errands. How is she doing with her knee? Being an amateur astronomer - we are already on the uphill swing for sunset times; the earliest sunsets are around Dec. 7 – 10 (depending on your location on the Earth) but the latest sunrise doesn’t occur until Jan. 2 – 5. Luckily we are closest to the Sun on January 4th which I always tell myself good thing we are because I’m already freezing my butt off in some stupid polar vortex and wondering why I live in Wyoming. I’m with Greg; shopping malls will be insane for a few weeks. I don’t think I’ll venture out to a mall until mid January. I am not a fan of crowds.

Callie, bless your nieces heart for keeping a positive mindset about her face. I am glad she is keeping her sense of humor too. You are being very helpful and supportive of her and I am sure she appreciates it. I am anxious to see pictures of the ring you bought. Thank you for thinking about me, I appreciate your kind words.

We left town about 6 pm last night to meet our friends for dinner at a place in Colorado. It was a fun evening. We ate and drank too much but had a lot of laughs. Marty and I got home about midnight. I stood out on the deck for about 10 minutes watching for meteors but didn’t see one and I was cold so I got ready for bed instead.

Marty was leaving for Atlanta today out of our local airport. I cooked breakfast and started working on my Christmas cards. We went to the airport about 11:30 and had a snack in their little café. Once it started snowing pretty hard I left him there and stopped at Dillard’s to pick up a few things for Christmas gifts. Marty texted me about 20 minutes before they were going to take off they wouldn’t allow them to fly out of here because of the wind and snow. So they brought in a shuttle and took them all to DIA. He made it with plenty of time to catch his connecting flight.

I did get most of my cards ready to mail and made my first batch of cookies. 2 items checked off my list.

Rats that tomorrow is Monday.

Take care.
Marcy

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Hi Missy,

As you can see, I’m not the most active PS poster, but after coming across this thread and reading a bit about your facial skin issues I wanted to sympathize, as a fellow sensitive skin sufferer, and offer some tips that helped me to recover from a few particularly difficult episodes. If these recommendations have already been made (I’ve only read the most recent couple of pages) or you simply don’t agree with the methods and aren’t interested that’s completely fine. I know how isolating it can be-even with a supportive DH. How panicky one can feel when nothing seems to calm the inflammation and the uncertainty while waiting to see if it’s going to get worse.

At its worst, about a year and a half ago, my skin couldn’t tolerate gentle moisturizers like Cetaphil and Eucerin. A very good dermatologist who had practiced in Colorado and specialized in treating skiers with wind-burned, raw skin recommended Vanicream. The product line includes soap and moisturizers. It didn't burn and my skin didn't react to it as it had done with Cetaphil/Eucerin, so I do keep it on hand. What he really recommended, though, was not using anything on my face—for at least 2 months. This was very difficult to hear because although I don’t do much with my skin, I do wear sunscreen every day. Upon review, he agreed the ingredients in the sunscreen were acceptable—because they were not natural! My skin is very reactive and natural ingredients are a no-no. I had been using a few all-natural moisturizers that my skin simply rejected. Apparently it’s not an uncommon allergy to have and can develop after even years of using the same product. La Roche Posay has a cleanser that’s moisturizing and doesn’t cause redness called La Roche-Posay Toleriane Gentle Dermo-Cleanser http://www.amazon.com/La-Roche-Posay-Toleriane-Gentle-Dermo-Cleanser/dp/B000IOBEG2
Interestingly, LRP does have a product line called Rosaliac that is specially formulated to calm Rosacea aaannnnd my face turned bright red after using the cleanser only once. You may have better luck with it than I did though.

In addition to seeing the dermatologist, I went to a homeopath who had been successful in treating an unrelated issue years ago. This is where you may call, “Halt.” Some people consider homeopathy a hoax, but many, many years ago when I had suffered with head-to-toe urticaria for two straight weeks—could not even wear clothes—and my doctor had nothing to offer but steroids, a very good friend referred me to her homeopath. I was so desperate. I had to already been off work for two weeks and had nothing to lose. He gave me one remedy and I felt immediate relief. It was very dramatic and, almost unbelievable, but the welts started to recede quickly and I was well and back to work in two days. (That was the first time I had ever had an allergic reaction to anything in my life and it seemed to be related to new carpeting and paint in the office.)

I want to say that I have nothing against allopathic medicine. My PCP is a board certified MD-an internist and modern medicine is remarkable, but I do see a homeopath when it makes sense, as my system is so sensitive to so many medications.
I use ABC homeopathy or peruse the Materia Medica available online for minor things, but for larger issues I definitely make an appointment to see my homeopath. It can be years between visits, but he has always been so helpful. I’m on the west coast or I’d recommend my doctor. He may do phone consults, but I know New York must have plenty of terrific practitioners. I chose my doctor because he was a long-time faculty member of the school of naturopathic medicine in my city and has a license in good standing, etc.

This summer my skin once again took a turn for the worse. It started turning red and swollen without any cause that I could identify. One mistake I made was to splash cool water on my face throughout the day in an attempt to calm the redness. The problem is that the water evaporates off the skin and causes dryness, which perpetuates the irritation and redness. Who knew? I dug out the homeopathic remedy I had been given originally and took it for about 7 days. It seemed to do the trick, but I am still very careful not to do much other than wash my face with the LRP cleanser and wear LRP sunscreen. Oh! Olay Total Effects 7 In One Wet Cloths are nice. I started using them because one of the main ingredients is Niacinamide, which helps to reduce redness. I wet the towels a bit before using, though, because I absolutely can't scrub or risk abrading my skin.

This has been a bit of a ramble, but I wish you the best and hope that some part of this is helpful to you. :))

Z

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy -

Thank you for your lovely post. It's very thoughtful of you to want to do something for me, and I understand that because I've tried to do the same for the people who were so helpful to us and to me during this very difficult year.

You know what would be great? I'm hoping that I have to take a business trip to NYC sometime in the next 6 months. If I do, I'd love for us to hit the town with our broken ankles. I love it there, have always had great experiences, but haven't been to your part of the city much except for a very lovely walk across the bridge on a gorgeous December day for a a holiday lunch at the River Cafe (pre-Sandy). No one could believe how great the weather was that trip or that we could walk across the bridge that time of year. Does that sound like something you'd be up for?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies. I woke up at 3AM and finally got out of bed at 4AM. Oh how I love coffee. It makes it bearable to be awake at this hour.

Marcy, I am glad Marty was able to travel safely albeit with a change of plans. Thank goodness they were organized and were able to shuttle him to an airport where flights could safely take off. I never cared for flying in inclement weather and glad it all worked out. It was nice you enjoyed a dinner with friends the day before his trip.

Was Dillard's crazy busy Sunday? I am taking your advice and staying away from the shopping centers and stores until after the holidays. Until then it is online shopping for me...with the exception of Costco because I cannot go too long without my Costco fix haha.

Good for you getting a few more things checked off your Christmas list. I am hoping we can start baking this coming weekend. Not sure what we will be baking though. I am voting for Greg's delicious butter cookies that he used to bake every holiday until he stopped making them for work/colleagues/friends/neighbors and family. It has been a long time since he baked them and I miss them. It depends on the mood of the chef though if you kwim. So we shall see.

I am sorry it is Monday but I hope your week goes fast and that work goes smoothly. Are you taking any time off before the holidays?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zlata|1418619328|3801298 said:
Hi Missy,

As you can see, I’m not the most active PS poster, but after coming across this thread and reading a bit about your facial skin issues I wanted to sympathize, as a fellow sensitive skin sufferer, and offer some tips that helped me to recover from a few particularly difficult episodes. If these recommendations have already been made (I’ve only read the most recent couple of pages) or you simply don’t agree with the methods and aren’t interested that’s completely fine. I know how isolating it can be-even with a supportive DH. How panicky one can feel when nothing seems to calm the inflammation and the uncertainty while waiting to see if it’s going to get worse.

At its worst, about a year and a half ago, my skin couldn’t tolerate gentle moisturizers like Cetaphil and Eucerin. A very good dermatologist who had practiced in Colorado and specialized in treating skiers with wind-burned, raw skin recommended Vanicream. The product line includes soap and moisturizers. It didn't burn and my skin didn't react to it as it had done with Cetaphil/Eucerin, so I do keep it on hand. What he really recommended, though, was not using anything on my face—for at least 2 months. This was very difficult to hear because although I don’t do much with my skin, I do wear sunscreen every day. Upon review, he agreed the ingredients in the sunscreen were acceptable—because they were not natural! My skin is very reactive and natural ingredients are a no-no. I had been using a few all-natural moisturizers that my skin simply rejected. Apparently it’s not an uncommon allergy to have and can develop after even years of using the same product. La Roche Posay has a cleanser that’s moisturizing and doesn’t cause redness called La Roche-Posay Toleriane Gentle Dermo-Cleanser http://www.amazon.com/La-Roche-Posay-Toleriane-Gentle-Dermo-Cleanser/dp/B000IOBEG2
Interestingly, LRP does have a product line called Rosaliac that is specially formulated to calm Rosacea aaannnnd my face turned bright red after using the cleanser only once. You may have better luck with it than I did though.

In addition to seeing the dermatologist, I went to a homeopath who had been successful in treating an unrelated issue years ago. This is where you may call, “Halt.” Some people consider homeopathy a hoax, but many, many years ago when I had suffered with head-to-toe urticaria for two straight weeks—could not even wear clothes—and my doctor had nothing to offer but steroids, a very good friend referred me to her homeopath. I was so desperate. I had to already been off work for two weeks and had nothing to lose. He gave me one remedy and I felt immediate relief. It was very dramatic and, almost unbelievable, but the welts started to recede quickly and I was well and back to work in two days. (That was the first time I had ever had an allergic reaction to anything in my life and it seemed to be related to new carpeting and paint in the office.)

I want to say that I have nothing against allopathic medicine. My PCP is a board certified MD-an internist and modern medicine is remarkable, but I do see a homeopath when it makes sense, as my system is so sensitive to so many medications.
I use ABC homeopathy or peruse the Materia Medica available online for minor things, but for larger issues I definitely make an appointment to see my homeopath. It can be years between visits, but he has always been so helpful. I’m on the west coast or I’d recommend my doctor. He may do phone consults, but I know New York must have plenty of terrific practitioners. I chose my doctor because he was a long-time faculty member of the school of naturopathic medicine in my city and has a license in good standing, etc.

This summer my skin once again took a turn for the worse. It started turning red and swollen without any cause that I could identify. One mistake I made was to splash cool water on my face throughout the day in an attempt to calm the redness. The problem is that the water evaporates off the skin and causes dryness, which perpetuates the irritation and redness. Who knew? I dug out the homeopathic remedy I had been given originally and took it for about 7 days. It seemed to do the trick, but I am still very careful not to do much other than wash my face with the LRP cleanser and wear LRP sunscreen. Oh! Olay Total Effects 7 In One Wet Cloths are nice. I started using them because one of the main ingredients is Niacinamide, which helps to reduce redness. I wet the towels a bit before using, though, because I absolutely can't scrub or risk abrading my skin.

This has been a bit of a ramble, but I wish you the best and hope that some part of this is helpful to you. :))

Z

Hi Zlata! Thank you so much for sharing this info with me and for taking the time and energy to post to help me. I really appreciate it and I am 100% for homeopathic medicine and along with conventional medicine I think they can be powerful partners.

It's funny because some of what you wrote in your post I discovered on my own without the help of my expensive and very smart dermatologist. I used to love Eucerin and CeraVe and found it was very non irritating for my reactive skin. Until this past Autumn when I started developing my skin problems and then they both burned my skin terribly. When I saw the derm I was prescribed Epiceram which was no better but quite expensive. I have so many expensive creams and moisturizers for my skin you wouldn't (or probably you would since you have unfortunately been through it) believe it.

Anyway I found that Vanicream was the only moisturizer I could tolerate and have been using that for a few weeks now. Though yesterday when we got back from our walk and I applied the Vanicream my face burned a bit so I am hoping I am not becoming intolerant to that now. I cannot use nothing because my skin is terribly dry and though I started sleeping with a humidifier in November to help my skin I still need to moisturize. And like you I wear sunscreen every day. Right now I am still using my normal sunscreen CotZ for sensitive skin/face which is zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and also I use Vanicream sunscreen for sensitive skin when I need higher SPF. So far so good with those. I cannot use anything with chemicals. Only sunscreens with zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Thank you for the LRP rec. One of the moisturizers I bought during the month of Oct and Nov when nothing was calming was La Roche-Posay toleraine fluid but I only tried it a few times as it wasn't heavy enough a moisturizer for me. The cleanser I have not tried and thank you. I will order it and try it! As of now I am cleansing with my Eucerin cleansing gel for irritated skin but I know it has harsh chemicals in it so I am glad to get your rec. Thank you!

I totally relate to your all over body hives and am glad you have found relief for that and for your skin issues. We have a lot (sadly) in common this way. When I was young I broke out in full body hives and my pediatrician was amazed and said he never saw anything like that. Ofc it was the 70's so times were different and now it seems more common an issue. A few years ago my dermatologist diagnosed me with Dermatographic urticaria and basically my body is so full of histamine and reacts with so much. If you were to take your nail and gently draw on my arm for example I would get raised welts. It's really quite amazing to see and the scientist in me is mesmerized by this reaction though I wish we didn't have such sensitive skin!

I am also going to check out your Olay Total Effects 7 In One Wet Cloths recommendation. I guess that is for cleansing your face and removing makeup?

I am in a quandary as to what to do re my skin meds. My derm prescribed a lot of topical meds which I normally cannot tolerate however it seems as if doing nothing (right now at least) is not an option so I have been trying the metro gel in the AM and alternating in the PM with Oxistat and Elidel. And taking the oral med Oracea every morning. I am on so many things and my gut tells me it is too much but for now I am taking my doctor's advice as he said I have 3 different active conditions on my face and for a short time he wants me on all of this.

What you wrote about how panicky one can feel and the uncertainty about what each day holds I completely relate to. I wake up in the morning scared to look in the mirror. Pathetic really being a grown woman but there you have it. Though I have to say Rainwood's post about perspective really hit home for me and I have been much calmer about my face since she so generously shared her thoughts with me. That's not to say I am still not apprehensive about looking in the mirror but I feel better able to handle it now.

Thank you again Zlata. I really appreciate you sharing this helpful info and I hope you continue to do well and enjoy clear skin! It's amazing what one takes for granted till it is taken away. Thank you and happy holidays!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1418633719|3801355 said:
Missy -

Thank you for your lovely post. It's very thoughtful of you to want to do something for me, and I understand that because I've tried to do the same for the people who were so helpful to us and to me during this very difficult year.

You know what would be great? I'm hoping that I have to take a business trip to NYC sometime in the next 6 months. If I do, I'd love for us to hit the town with our broken ankles. I love it there, have always had great experiences, but haven't been to your part of the city much except for a very lovely walk across the bridge on a gorgeous December day for a a holiday lunch at the River Cafe (pre-Sandy). No one could believe how great the weather was that trip or that we could walk across the bridge that time of year. Does that sound like something you'd be up for?

Rainwood, Count me in! Haha I like the way you described it...hitting the town with our broken ankles. Our healed broken ankles that is. I am so looking forward to your visit and we can do anything you want to do. A walk sounds great and I hope the weather cooperates though I have to say a little bad weather never scared me before so I am up for a walk no matter the weather. In fact after our walk I hope you will be up for a home cooked meal. Just let me know in advance what your favorite foods and desserts are. :appl:

I am looking forward to your visit. :wavey:

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Oh, my-Yes! I have D.U., as well! My sister, who has many more non-skin related allergies than I, also has it. I don't have it all the time. It usually shows up after a hot water shower.

I wanted to post a quick reply before I head out the door for the day: I recall that a different dermatologist (for yet a different episode) prescribed some sort of topical steroid and anti-biotic combination to apply for two weeks for some red patches I had developed. She said it was important to use for the full term, as would do with any antibiotic. She also said that I would probably need to use them for the rest of my life. I did use for the initial two-week period, but stopped after that and the patches haven't returned. So, I do think if you're taking a similar combo of steroid-AB, it's important to finish the treatment. After that, I left my skin alone to let it continue to heal. Somehow I must've irritated it and broken down the protective mantle (don't recall what it's called).

The most recent dermatologist told me that synthetic, chemical moisturizers are the best for sensitive skin because they're able to eliminate the actual allergens when creating the chemicals in the lab. It makes sense but, unfortunately, most still contain some sort of irritant and my skin just does not like. Even if my skin is and has been clear, if I try a patch test, I'll usually develop a welt to most moisturizers.

Love physical sunblocks but they have become too drying for me, so I'm using this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LA-ROCHE-POSAY-ANTHELIOS-XL-SPF50-INVISIBLE-NUTRITIVE-OIL-LOT-OF-2-X-200ML-/261497181113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce27253b9 I think the base is mineral oil. My skin does not react to it and it's a bit more moisturizing. (I tried to buy it from the U.K. but they weren't able to send it or it was out of stock or some such story. Trusty old eBay to the rescue.) Just mentioning it if you need to switch things in the future. I wouldn't use it if my skin were having an episode though. At this point, I just stop everything for at least a week and only rinse with cool water in the morning and evening + try a remedy for a few days.

I really think the best advice I've been given from the various derms. (other than the Rx for steroid/AB) has been to completely leave my skin alone, which I managed to do for about a month. The homeopathic remedies (I've had three different ones over about a 20- year timespan) I believe helped my whole body to heal. I'll go years and years and not take a remedy, but always come back to it for supportive therapy. The added benefit is that it does treat the emotional/mental component which, is definitely a plus when dealing with these skin issues!

I use the Olay cloths to remove the remnants of the sunblock which it does without drying my skin. Am also able to use them as a bit of a moisturizer, in general.

Have a wonderful day! I'll bet New York is just magical at this time of year!
Z

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Hi All, and Finn sends his very best regards too with thanks for your kind thoughts and comments.

Marcy, my DH is from Wyoming, Riverton, and got his BS/Geology at UW. I visited Wyoming with him after we got married and it blew my mind, some really deadly boring parts of the state and some mindblowingly beautiful parts like Dubois, Jackson, etc. It was summer when we were there, so nice days with afternoon thundershowers, good stuff! Had a great time in Jackson.

Missy, I'm sorry to read of your skin flare continuing. There is sage comment and advice above. Someone posted about an antibiotic and rosacea, and that is rifaximin/Xifaxan (generic/brand). The GI Dept and Internal Med Dept had great success with it for gut-related problem's like IBS/Crohn's, fibromyalgia, restless legs, and then saw people with rosacea with pretty much complete resolution. The Derm Dept used it for rosacea with success also. There are quite a few excellent web sites for rosacea that have both the scholarly science on it and then the rosacea boards that discuss it among rosacea sufferers.

i also have rosacea, we call it The Irish Curse (the % of the Irish population with it is high) in my family.

So that is the antibiotic referenced. One thing, insurance might not cover it unless you say you're having terrible traveler's diarrhea or some gut related problems, as far as I know its off-label right now for rosacea and the pills cost around $23 each to my knowledge; say you have diarrhea, who is going to argue with you?

I have been having some restless leg symptoms and I was surprised to see that they are part of the complex of symptoms which include rosacea. So I'm about ready to go to my internist, say I have traveler's diarrhea from a recent trip, and give the Xifaxan a try. I'm going to skip the lactulose breath test, its not the most reliable test anyway and most of the docs I know who prescribe it for either conditions skip it too for their patients.

Missy, this year has been your Annus Horibilus (remember that awful year the Queen of England had between the castle burning down, Charles and Diana debacle, etc etc) for sure. No one will be happier than you and Greg to see 2014 go down the pooper and 2015 come toddling in the door looking fresh and new!

I have one thought reading your posts about your seb derm/etc.

You're on a lot of medication. Consider going off ALL meds for 30 days and seeing what you really have going on. Then, add one drug or therapy at a time and give it the necessary amount of time to succeed/fail/or exacerbate.

BTW, with the distress you're experiencing, Atarax would be help with that and you could start with a low low dose like 10 mg (25-50 mg is the dose for anxiety OR severe itch) and see how you feel. Some patients take Paxil and actually got some resolution of the skin problems although I'd go with Atarax or Xanax to give yourself a break from the stress hormones and chemicals that are flooding your body right now. Your skin is the largest organ of your body, the sustained anxiety and stress from the pilon fracture, the PT and rehab, the change in your employment status, honestly its a lot. You've not wanted to try an antianxiety therapy in the past, maybe now is the time to consider it seriously? Only you can be the judge of that. I'm just so sorry to hear about it, you don't deserve 1 minute of any of this.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Hi All, and Finn sends his very best regards too with thanks for your kind thoughts and comments.

Marcy, my DH is from Wyoming, Riverton, and got his BS/Geology at UW. I visited Wyoming with him after we got married and it blew my mind, some really deadly boring parts of the state and some mindblowingly beautiful parts like Dubois, Jackson, etc. It was summer when we were there, so nice days with afternoon thundershowers, good stuff! Had a great time in Jackson.

Missy, I'm sorry to read of your skin flare continuing. There is sage comment and advice above. Someone posted about an antibiotic and rosacea, and that is rifaximin/Xifaxan (generic/brand). The GI Dept and Internal Med Dept had great success with it for gut-related problem's like IBS/Crohn's, fibromyalgia, restless legs, and then saw people with rosacea with pretty much complete resolution. The Derm Dept used it for rosacea with success also. There are quite a few excellent web sites for rosacea that have both the scholarly science on it and then the rosacea boards that discuss it among rosacea sufferers.

i also have rosacea, we call it The Irish Curse (the % of the Irish population with it is high) in my family.

So that is the antibiotic referenced. One thing, insurance might not cover it unless you say you're having terrible traveler's diarrhea or some gut related problems, as far as I know its off-label right now for rosacea and the pills cost around $23 each to my knowledge; say you have diarrhea, who is going to argue with you?

I have been having some restless leg symptoms and I was surprised to see that they are part of the complex of symptoms which include rosacea. So I'm about ready to go to my internist, say I have traveler's diarrhea from a recent trip, and give the Xifaxan a try. I'm going to skip the lactulose breath test, its not the most reliable test anyway and most of the docs I know who prescribe it for either conditions skip it too for their patients.

Missy, this year has been your Annus Horibilus (remember that awful year the Queen of England had between the castle burning down, Charles and Diana debacle, etc etc) for sure. No one will be happier than you and Greg to see 2014 go down the pooper and 2015 come toddling in the door looking fresh and new!

You're on a lot of medication. Consider going off ALL meds for 30 days and seeing what you really have going on. Then, add one drug or therapy at a time and give it the necessary amount of time to succeed/fail/or exacerbate.

BTW, with the distress you're experiencing, Atarax would be help with that and you could start with a low low dose like 10 mg (25-50 mg is the dose for anxiety OR severe itch) and see how you feel. Some patients take Paxil and actually got some resolution of the skin problems although I'd go with Atarax or Xanax to give yourself a break from the stress hormones and chemicals that are flooding your body right now. Your skin is the largest organ of your body, the sustained anxiety and stress from the pilon fracture, the PT and rehab, the change in your employment status, honestly its a lot. You've not wanted to try an antianxiety therapy in the past, maybe now is the time to consider it seriously? Only you can be the judge of that. I'm just so sorry to hear about it, you don't deserve 1 minute of any of this.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BTW, with the distress you're experiencing, Atarax would be help with that and you could start with a low low dose like 10 mg (25-50 mg is the dose for anxiety OR severe itch) and see how you feel. Some patients take Paxil and actually got some resolution of the skin problems although I'd go with a low dose of Atarax or Xanax for 30 days to give yourself a break from the stress hormones and chemicals that are flooding your body right now. Your skin is the largest organ of your body, the sustained anxiety and stress from the pilon fracture, the PT and rehab, the change in your employment status, honestly its a lot. You've not wanted to try an antianxiety therapy in the past, maybe now is the time to consider it seriously? Only you can be the judge of that. I'm just so sorry to hear about it, you don't deserve 1 minute of any of this.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BTW, with the distress you're experiencing, Atarax would be help with that and you could start with a low low dose like 10 mg (25-50 mg is the dose for anxiety OR severe itch) and see how you feel. Some patients take Paxil and actually got some resolution of the skin problems although I'd go with a low dose of Atarax or Xanax for 30 days to give yourself a break from the stress hormones and chemicals that are flooding your body right now. Your skin is the largest organ of your body, the sustained anxiety and stress from the pilon fracture, the PT and rehab, the change in your employment status, honestly its a lot. You've not wanted to try an antianxiety therapy in the past, maybe now is the time to consider it seriously? Only you can be the judge of that. I'm just so sorry to hear about it, you don't deserve 1 minute of any of this.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the quadruple posts, pricescope was doing an update or something and that is what ended up with my post. :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results