shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice need help!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cunal

Rough_Rock
I assunme you get a lot of questions regarding purchases on ebay. Has any body done business with Diageminc on ebay. They have diamonds with egl certs. for cheap prices. Should i be very causious or trust this company. Does any body have any other recommendation on were to buy nice diamonds for fair prices

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Ebay does require a certain level of caution.

Some of the most competative prices in the market can be found on pricescope, because the dealers here are extremely reputable sources.

Kirk

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
In my experience with Ebay, I have noted that oftentimes you're not really getting a better deal. If you're considering an ebay stone, why don't you post a link to it here and let us evaluate it for you?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out JHyde's recent posts on purchasing from eBay. He worked with a different seller, but one that had 1000+ positive feedbacks and bought a 'Tiffany' diamond engagement ring, only to find out that it was definitely not Tiffany, was definitely not good quality...so he sent it back, etc., but the whole thing was a process in drama!

Beware when purchasing large cost items such as diamonds or rings on eBay....I would also suggest checking out pricescope.com's listings of stones (put in your specs and let it search for you) to compare prices to eBay. You may find that by spending $500-1000 more you can purchase from a reputable online vendor with a return policy and a reputaation to uphold in the jewelry community as opposed to a random jewelry seller on eBay.

Good luck and do your homework--you should be fine!
1.gif

Sokan

Rough_Rock
Hi thank you for your advice would one of you consult me on this Diamond I found on Ebay with EGL cert.

I would appreciate your advice on the price vs. quality

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2615449573&category=15182

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I checked out the auction and here are a few comments:

1-With an M diamond you will be seeing alot of color in this stone. The picture may show it but with an M color..you are well into the light yellow range of things. I would suggest upping the color if your budget allows it or sacrificing some carat weight to get a whiter stone. If this does not matter to you, and you/your fiancee want a 'warmer' looking stone, then this may work.

2-I ran the numbers through the HCA and it came up with a score of 3.5 or 'Worth Buying if the Price Is Right' meaning that the cut of this stone is not optimized for light return, fire, scintillation or spread. There were 2 goods and 2 vg's. The scale is from 0-10 I believe...and many people on these forums look for diamonds which score within 0-2...you may feel the 2's are acceptable as well as many beautiful stones seem to be in that range.

3-I ran a search on Pricescope to look for online vendors with prices..and found a .92c M SI1 stone GIA cert with similar polish/symm etc and the price was $1800. The eBay price on your stone is $1600, so for $2k more you could get a GIA cert (more reputable, as with EGL they may have graded the M color loosely meaning you may be buying an N or O!) and the pleasure of purchasing with a reputable online jeweler as opposed to an eBay chancy purchase.

I would pass on this stone and continue looking. I would also suggest upping the color to at least an I and dropping carat weight to around .80 or so if you want to stay in budget. Or consider your budget and see if you can add some more $$.

The eBay stone is not bad by any means, we have seen worse listed on here. But why take the chance on an unseen stone on eBay...you may not like the M color in person, or it may be misgraded by EGL on color and be worse! I would suggest continuing to look and see what you can do to align your priorities with your budget.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results