shape
carat
color
clarity

Not your typical shopping thread...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
I''m in the market for a new waffle iron! I had an antique one that went missing, and now I have no idea what to replace it with.. I''ve read a lot on Amazon but nothing is really sounding that superb. The flip and turn things take up way to much space, but if the majority of the people here say that''s the way to go I''ll try it! I''m thinking about going with the square style.

Can anyone help??
33.gif

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Oh the flip and turn ones are the best!!!! We have one..kind of and it''s amazing. The waffles are always wonderful! This is the kind of waffle iron we got, it''s the best! You''ll love it!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WisftulAurora, I just received a waffle iron for Christmas (while playing that "dirty santa" game with relatives). I haven''t even taken it out of the box to use it yet, so I can''t give you a recommendation. It''s not the flip kind, it''s the stationary kind, though. Sorry I can''t be more helpful, maybe I''ll break it out this weekend (I know I need to season it first) and let you know how it performs and I''ll include the make and model as well.

In the meantime, I haven''t eaten waffles for years! What kinds of toppings do you like? What should I try this weekend? Any recommendations--fruits, syrups, whipped creme?
31.gif
30.gif

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
I personally like strawberries, whipped cream, powdered sugar... I''ve also been blessed with a high metabolism sooo maybe do some varieties off of those three things. You can also do like chocolate syrup with powdered sugar and make dessert waffles! Those are REALLY yummy!!

I''ll look into your waffler pinkstars... Does it take up a lot of space in your kitchen??

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strawberries/whipped cream=classic!!! Yum. Oh, I meant to also ask you what you use for batter? Do you make it from scratch, or use a boxed mix? Someone told me that Bisquick is the best thing to use. Did I mention I have never actually MADE a waffle either? Ha ha!
9.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only eat waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. Even Devonshire cream on very very rare occasions.
18.gif

We have had 2 irons, neither of them flip and turn. I don''t think you need flip and turn to get a good waffle. The key I think is in finding the right make from scratch waffle recipe. A plain iron works fine. We have a lot of kitchen tools and don''t have room for a flipper.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Oh it''s a bit tall, so it is a little awkward finding a place for it, but I have absolutely noooo storage or counter space in my kitchen. But it''s well worth it!
I second finding a good recipe from scratch, it makes all the difference!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Ok the best waffle maker that I have ever had is an Oster from Target. I bought it around Christmas and it''s the kind that flips. Can''t remember how much it was but it was under $30. Makes great waffles.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t get a chance to use the waffle iron this weekend, sorry! My Saturday consisted of a trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up supplies to make my niece a birthday princess hat!

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
I''ll try to get on later tonight to post a good waffle recipe for you... I keep forgetting!
40.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s so funny. After Christmas I went out and got a waffle maker because I wanted one and didn''t get one for Xmas. I got the Cuisinart waffle maker (makes 1 round waffle). Pros it is small and can be stored vertically and once you get the hang of it makes good waffles. Con is that you literally have to hold the top down while it is cooking, otherwise the top rises and then the waffle rips apart when you open the top of the lid. So if price is an issue (I got it for 29.95) then it is decent, but I do have to admit it is a pain to have to stand there holding it closed (why no latch?).

Using bisquick mix for waffles - no way! It''s worth it to whip up your own batter (though I have the right to change my mind if I ever found a mix I liked).
I like the one in Good housekeeping, the only difference is I make it half whole wheat, substitute some of the milk for yogurt and add a squeeze of lemon, 2 TB of brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Yum! The downside is that I have been enslaved to make waffles every weekend : )

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 5:15:12 PM
Author: part gypsy
The downside is that I have been enslaved to make waffles every weekend : )

hahaha I feel like that sometimes!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, no Bisquick? Sheesh. I was crossing my fingers that Bisquick would be ok. I guess if you''re going to make something like waffles that you don''t eat every day, you should make them from scratch and do it the right way--it''s more of a treat! That''s how I will rationalize it, anyway.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results