shape
carat
color
clarity

Not in Love with Blue Nile VVS2 Princess Cut (Avoidable?)

eric_1985

Rough_Rock
Hey Folks,

Been lurking this website for the last few weeks and just pulled the trigger on the diamond listed below.

It came with 360 degree picture and I thought the GCAL and GIA documents looked great. All of the numbers that I looked at seemed to be within rules of thumb. Maybe it's just a cloudy day, but light just doesn't seem to radiate out of the table the way I would expect. Also, although it is VVS2, it has two small scratches on the table.

I also accompanied with this ring (Cathedral Pave), and feel the prongs are just too big for a 1 carat ring.

I can't tell if I'm expecting too much from this diamond, or if I made an obvious mistake in shopping. Please help!

- Eric

Ring:
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/pave-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_12925?elem=title&track=product

Diamond:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04815449

Stock #: LD04815449
Total carat weight: 1.01
Princess Cut
Signature Ideal-cut
D-color
VVS2-clarity
1.00 Length/Width
70.3% Depth
70.0% Table
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very good
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Cutlet None
Fluorescence Faint
Measurements 5.61x5.59x3.93mm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Not in Love with Blue Nile VVS2 Princess Cut (Avoidable?

Well, the stone is a good one, so either you aren't in lighting that is good or else maybe your expectations were unrealistic. Lighting is everything, though. Go in a Walmart or Home Depot or Lowes where they may have halogen lighting and you'd see a big difference.

The only thing I'd change is I'd go for a larger stone and not D VVS. An F VS1-VS2 is going to look virtually the same except you can get a larger size.

You'd have to show us a picture of the finished ring if you want feedback on the prongs. I personally would only get V prongs on a princess cut to protect the corners.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would suggest cleaning it - I know it's new but diamonds are dust and oil magnets.

eric_1985

Rough_Rock

img_5718.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

That is a beautiful ring. My ring is almost exact to yours from Blue Nile 1.02 G VVS2 but my depth is 72.8% and table is 71%. My setting has 1/4 carat total in the band so the diamonds in yours are bigger but here is a picture of mine. I have the same prongs as well, Princess stones are prone to chipping on the corners so the suggestion about v-prongs is a good one if you are concerned about that.

My finger was swollen in this picture so ignore the sausage effect! :rolleyes:

_6134.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those prongs are definitely too big and distracting. The stone does look like a nice one to me.

I personally would ask for claw prongs but not sure if BN can do them.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If they actually scratched it (you said it has scratches on the table), I say return it for a refund. I don't think there is any way they can polish out scratches that won't remove carat weight. I don't know how easy is is to scratch a diamond in the mounting process, but I've certainly had a jeweler scratch a cz and a moissanite.

eric_1985

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the comments guys. I think the mistake I made was mostly in the band. Looking at the website, this band accept princess cuts up to 4 carats - of course the prongs are going to be huge!

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/heirloom-micropave-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_15182?track=product&elem=setting

This setting only accepts .5-1.25 carat princess rings - claw prong as suggested.

I think I may try to get closer to 1.1-1.2 carats as well - just so the prongs don't over power the stone.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blue Nile prongs in general leave MUCH to be desired - my original ER was a 1.81 from BN and the prongs were still bulky.

The new setting you posted is pretty but take a look at the recently purchased and there are a few princess cuts in the same carat range as you - although the prongs are nicer, the stones don't seem to 'fit' well and you could see extra metal around the stone from the basket.

eric_1985

Rough_Rock

Are any of the other online vendors able to offer a better ring selection than BN? I do agree that their prongs seem terrible, overall.

Or conversely, (apologies for lack of research on this) can I / should I try my hand at buying locally in Boston from a jeweler? I sort of prefer to be able to leisurely look at the diamonds online and get a feel for the supporting documents etc without any pressure, but I haven't explored the in-store option at all and thought I'd ask.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you checked out James Allen? They provide videos on all of their stones and can sometimes get light return images on stones that are in the US. You can usually specify delicate prongs or the corner prongs on the work order at no extra charge. Whiteflash and Brian Gavin also come to mind for 'super ideal' princess cuts and they both have very pretty settings and nice prong work. I'm not familiar with any jewelers in Boston but someone else might be able to help with that!

If you want to provide us with your budget & desired specs, we could help search for options for you! :wavey:

eric_1985

Rough_Rock

Preferably under 10k in total. The diamond I bought is probably roughly what I'm looking for. I don't want a very flashy ring, I just want an absolutely beautiful princess cut diamond and an understated band. I've been thinking VVS+ with pure color and an ideally cut princess stone that really radiates light. Whether the actual clarity, color, etc combo need to be as high as I've set them to, I'm not certain.

I just want a very classic and elegant look and for my soon to be fiance to know that I've taken care of her.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Let me take a look. In the meantime, take a look at this setting and tell me what you think. Select princess cut from the bottom left of the video and you will see several previously purchased rings. Scroll to the right to the 1.51 H VS2, which I think looks really nice :
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-inspired-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41042

Or these:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/jeff-cooper/14k-white-gold-carie-engagement-ring-by-jeff-cooper-item-54248
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-cross-over-trellis-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50130

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I truly dislike blue Nile, so if you have a chance to et away from them I would run. I feel
So stuck with them doing an upgrade and they have given me pretty rude customer service. I know it's hit or miss and some people get great customer service but I haven't. So if you need another reason. I have a ring from James Allen and a ring from blue Nile and an eternity from IDJ as well as a necklace and earrings. I would without hesitation use James Allen or IDJ again. Blue Nile never, ever again. My mom had also used Whiteflash and they were just lovely, and oh I also had a great experience with Grace at Jewels by Grace so yah, lots of great vendors to choose from don't get stuck. Just realizing I may have a little jewelry problem lol.

eric_1985

Rough_Rock

Thanks a lot for the help - appreciate it tremendously.

Really like that one you linked : https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.30-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1920030

The other one was definitely not eye clean - you can see marks on the table if you look at the right light.

Apparently, I have to wait at least a week or two for blue nile to push through the refund, so I won't be able to pull the trigger on these in the near term.

Eric

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

eric_1985

Rough_Rock

So I went back to the drawing board after this post and thought through what about the ring was upsetting me and decided that I was really looking for a round.

This is coming tomorrow - It's a Brian Gavin Black, VS1, G Clarity, 1ct. I'm really really happy with how it came out and cannot wait for the big moment.

briangavin_knife_ericr1b_111616.jpg
briangavin_knife_ericr1_111616.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results