shape
carat
color
clarity

Not a LIW, but I feel like one

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CurlyM-C

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking for a while because I feel like a LIW, although I''m coming up on my 1st anniversary in 6 weeks.

My husband proposed with a family ring that I love for sentimental reasons. He said he was torn because he didn''t want to wait to propose, but couldn''t afford a nice ring. We both were in a lot of debt and had not great jobs. But of course I was dying to marry him too, so I was thrilled.

When people said "let''s see the ring", I always held out my hand and beamed "it belonged to his grandmother." And they said "oh that''s very special!" And it is special. It''s very special.
And ugly. Alright I said it! It''s not that the diamond is small (maybe .25?), but more that it''s set in a yellow gold ring that''s not quite an antique, just clearly old school ... it''s just not me.

So he''s always felt bad because he hadn''t proposed the way he wanted to. And I felt bad that I don''t love the ring, I''ve just felt like a horrible shallow petty b*tch for being secretly jealous of women with pretty engagement rings that they love.

We got engaged almost 2 years ago, since then he''s gotten a much better job and we''ve both worked really hard on turning our finances around and gotten out of debt. We eloped on a gorgeous beach in Mexico and came back to big but casual parties to celebrate both with friends and family.

So thanks to an episode of "Sex and the City" that we saw together recently (where Carrie tells the girls of Adrian''s ring that she accidentally found, "the ring was not good"), he started a talk with me that turned into big tearful heart to heart and he said he really wants to get me a ring for our 1st anniversary.

Now, my brain says, this is a giant waste of money that should go into savings, but my heart feels robbed of childhood bridal fantasies and is dying for this stupid ring!! Why is this so emotionally loaded for me? Anyway he''s alleviated my guilt by telling me I have no choice. He insists I have it and doesn''t think it''s a waste of money.

And I can''t friggin'' wait!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds fantastic!

What kind of ring are you thinking of?

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
i say, set aside the guilt and go for the ring. think of it as an investment, and also an heirloom that can be passed on for your grandchildren to propose with!
2.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Very exciting!!! Do you think he will he propose to you again ?

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Curly!! That''s so exciting and sweet that you get a "do-over"!!!

I understand about the guilt... I guess that this is such a big thing because it is literally a symbol of your love, which is a beautiful thing, so we want our rings to express & reflect that love and commitment in a beautiful way. And, maybe you could have his grandmother''s ring made into something else special? Maybe a pendant or something? That way you could still keep it since it is special and has significant sentimental value, since it belonged to his grandmother and it is what he proposed with, but then it would no longer be "not good".
9.gif

Happy Hunting!! Do you have any idea of what kind of ring you want? What I ended up with was completely different than what I started out wanting ~ so much fun to look look look!!!

CurlyM-C

Rough_Rock
I would never change his grandmother''s ring. Although definately it''s not my style, I want it to remain the way he remembered it on her hands. I love it for that reason...I just prefer to love it from inside my jewelry box!
2.gif

Before I started looking, I thought I wanted a princess cut with baguette sidestones in platinum.
but I''m afraid that cut is too delicate, and I want more sparkle, and don''t like the side view on those settings (I don''t like the little bridge).

I love asschers, especially in the 1920 Cartier setting. But I only get excited about Liz Taylor sized Asschers. Also again, I want more sparkle.

I''m continually drawn to the most simple traditional Tiffany -looking round brilliant solitaires, which surpises me. I thought I wanted something "different", but I guess I really don''t.
I love the way an ideal cut RB 1 carat in a 6 prong platinum setting looks on my 4.5 size fingers.

My husband & I are so untraditional in a lot of ways. I asked him "do think this is a boring choice?" He said "no, some things should be classic". So I think we''re going for "classic", just this once.

aeli

Rough_Rock
I''m so happy that you''ve got this fantanstic opportunity - and what a sweet husband to want to do this for you. Obviously he understands how much a ring you really love means to you, so there''s no need to feel guilt. I know you mentioned the Tiffany 6 prong solitaire, but here''s another simple "classic" ring - the Cartier 6 prong solitaire. Just food for thought.

lalala.jpg

CurlyM-C

Rough_Rock
At last! Yay!!!
E Si1 .91 size 4.5 in a solstice platinum setting.

vmcbling.jpg

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! Glad to see you got what you wanted!! Happy anniversary and here''s to many more!! It''s beautiful!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!
36.gif
Congrats! It''s awesome and you deserve it! It looks lovely on you.
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!
36.gif
36.gif
It''s gorgeous!!
30.gif

And of course I''m going to ask for more pics
31.gif
hehe

And an E! WOW, it must be sooo icy white!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. Now that you have the ring you want, may we see a picture of your husband''s grandmother''s ring, too? I was intrigued by it and wondered what it looked like!

Deborah

CurlyM-C

Rough_Rock
We found this ring in the diamond district in NY, and continued shopping for weeks and then eventually came back to it. Its proportions are not ideal, but it totally sparkles like crazy and scores 2.1 on HCA. I don''t think it''s possible to look any whiter and try as may, I cannot see any inclusions. Considering the price was so good, I''m secretly worried that it''s too pretty to be have these proportions and be real. Have I just read Pricescope too much?

I haven''t taken it to an appraiser yet, but I will soon. Honestly, I''m a little scared to go.

.91 E SI1 EGL Cert.
6.32 x 6.31 x 3.72
Depth 58.7
Table 62
Crown 13%
Pavillion 43%
polish & symmetry: Very Good
no culet, no fluor.
We were originally looking at H&A J colored one carat stones, but I fell in love with this one and had to come back to it. It was $3100 (including the setting!) and to my eye looks every bit as sparkly and beautiful as comparable stones we saw at Tiffany''s for 9k to 12k. I''m working on taking better pictures of it!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Curly...

Obviously this stone/ring setting "spoke" to you and is making you extremely happy! Even though you were unsure, you did the wise thing and waited...and even though you kept searching, you returned to this ring!! It was meant to be!! Enjoy it with the best of health!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Curly I think that your ring is awsome and to be honest you got a great deal IMO. I am glad that you are happy with your new ring, it rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results