shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-Stick Cookware

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
I keep hearing that the non stick pots and pans are not good because they eventually get scratched somehow and the black residue ultimately ends up in your food. Does anyone know of any great pots and pans that are non-stick that don''t have the black finish on the inside? I don''t even know if that is an option.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm i love calphalon nonstick frying pans...i have a few of them and i want to get more. i think a non stick frying pan is almost an absolute necessary must because i have a few expensive aka all-clad frying pans that are stainless and everything sticks to them unless you grease them up something crazy and for me that's just not happening...so i only use nonstick for fryers. but everything else i have like pots etc is stainless.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know most hoity toity chefs would absolutely turn their noses at nonstick cookware, but it is all I use. I mean, you will NEVER burn a risotto in one of those babies! Never! Sure, you should be stirring the whole time, but whatever, the rice still sticks sometimes in a regular pot. Anyway, the thing about nonstick is to not use any metal tools in there. I don''t have problems with scratching because I only use plastic or wooden utensils in them.

The main thing is never to put nonstick pans over scorchingly high heat with nothing in them. They can emit fumes that can be toxic when overheated while empty. Here''s a link about that: http://curezone.com/art/read.asp?ID=1&db=12&C0=7.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what FireGoddess said! I adore my Emeril nonstick cookware by All Clad and recommend it highly.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my analon non-stick. It has non-stick on the inside AND out which makes a difference in cleaning. It has rubber on the handles for a comfortable grip and stays cool. It has glass lids, and it is very reasonably priced. I got my set at BBB. It is what Rachel Ray uses. The guy at the store says it is cheaper because it hasn''t caught on yet. My MIL has bought a few after using mine.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only real nonstick I use is my all clad non stick little pan for omelettes and such. Most everything I use stainless, but it''s good to havea non stick pan for certain things. I like to deglaze a lot and stainless is better for that. My fav cooking vessel right now is my Le Creuset shallow pot. I LOVE this thing...use it a lot even though it weighs a ton.

I do like my all clad nonstick though. As mentioned previously I never use it on high heat and only use non metal utensils on it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Analon, Scan Pan, and Circulon are good. I have All Clad and Calphalon too, all types, meaning all stainless, stainless with a copper core, etc. The Analon and Circulon are nice and not too pricey. You MUST get special non scratching utensils for them, for stirring etc, and use non scratch cleaner and scrubby sponges. Also, I have heard you should not spray Pam or anything in them, it erodes the non stick finish. I think, sometimes, a tiny bit of olive oil to season a non stick pan, or a bit of Pam spray in a non stick works as well, it really depends on what you are making and the heat you are cooking with...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cast iron the original non-stick pan and still the best.

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 9:52:16 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I love my analon non-stick. It has non-stick on the inside AND out which makes a difference in cleaning. It has rubber on the handles for a comfortable grip and stays cool. It has glass lids, and it is very reasonably priced. I got my set at BBB. It is what Rachel Ray uses. The guy at the store says it is cheaper because it hasn''t caught on yet. My MIL has bought a few after using mine.

I agree with Tacori, I love my analon 8qt. stock pot! The rubber handles are key b/c the metal ones get too hot. I will definitely register for the whole set once the time comes.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 12:17:01 AM
Author: Rachie
Date: 2/26/2007 9:52:16 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

I agree with Tacori, I love my analon 8qt. stock pot! The rubber handles are key b/c the metal ones get too hot. I will definitely register for the whole set once the time comes.

Aren''t they awesome? They are really great quality and a great price! BBB always has specials if you register there. We got their set and recieved two free pieces with it. I love the rubber too but then again I am a nut for all the oxo kitchen stuff (b/c I like the rubber).

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Such helpful info! I know its wrong, but I hate handwashing...are any of these nonstick pans ok to put in the dishwasher?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if it''s okay, but sometimes I do it....
emembarrassed.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe all my stuff goes in the dishwasher!! and so far nothing has been worse for the wear, knock on wood.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that only refers to the older Teflon coated non-stick cookware? Not sure...

Anyway, I have a brand called Berndes which I LOVE it''s non-stick, but for some reason you can still use metal tools with it without scratching it. I think it is because it isn''t a coating like many products, but it''s built into the pan. I have no idea...all I know is that I LOVE these pans.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I put everything in the dishwasher, even though they say not to. I figure washing in the DW against their orders is way better than having it sit in the sink for a week
17.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dh bought and brought home and used some set of iron looking stuff 3 years ago that is supposed to be "seasoned" and never washed. (this could possibly explain why I don''t cook a whole helluva lot, since I think it is a bit disgusting) Anyway, I read on the box that you never dishwash it, you never scrub it, etc. What is it and how much longer do I have to deal with it? Can I just accidentally break it and get something new? Is there some sort of reasoning behind what he likes to cook with? Keep in mind I''m no cook myself, lol....and I don''t mean to hijack...sorry!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 1:46:00 AM
Author: monarch64
Dh bought and brought home and used some set of iron looking stuff 3 years ago that is supposed to be 'seasoned' and never washed. (this could possibly explain why I don't cook a whole helluva lot, since I think it is a bit disgusting) Anyway, I read on the box that you never dishwash it, you never scrub it, etc. What is it and how much longer do I have to deal with it? Can I just accidentally break it and get something new? Is there some sort of reasoning behind what he likes to cook with? Keep in mind I'm no cook myself, lol....and I don't mean to hijack...sorry!
That's cast iron and it rocks :}
its bullet proof literally.
We used to use one that the handle was broken off of as a gong when shooting 22s
Few hundred thousand rounds and you could still fry an egg in it.
It is the best material out there for cooking anything but tomato sauce.

btw I still use cast iron pans that are over 75 years old.

edit: if they are older than the 1920s-1930 they need to be checked for lead content before using them and older than 1900 should not be used at all.

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
Ok guys, I work at a store that sells gourmet cookware so here is the info I have been taught. NEVER put a nonstick pan in the dishwasher. The high heat and harsh abrasives will make the coating peel. For calphalon there are two kinds: nonstick and infused anodized. The nonstick has the traditional nonstick coating. The infused anodized has the nonstick properties infused in the metal--they actually call it stick resistant, not nonstick. I believe calphalon pans are oven safe up to 500 degrees. But still cannot be put in the dishwasher. I would have to say that I prefer cooking in stainless steel (all clad) or copper (mauviel, ruffoni) and I do not have a problem with sticking. You just have to learn how to use your pan with your stove. A lot of people have problems if they have a ceramic or electric cooktop with coils because these use radiant heat and the temperature is not constant like in a gas range. This is why it turns from red to black on and off while you''re cooking and it does not stay red all the time. You just have to work with it.

If I really wanted nonstick, I would buy an 8 pc set plus a nonstick 8" or 10" fry pan. Or you can simply return the fry pan from your set and get one that is nonstick. I DO NOT recommend a nonstick set of any kind. I really see no need for a nonstick stockpot.

Just a note, most major brands of cookware has some type of warranty. We take returns on 15 year old pans that people have used metal tools in and put in the dishwasher all the time. We just send them back to the vendor.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
k storm, so when some gangbanger here is shooting at me I should grab the 14" skillet/pan and hold it in front of me for protection? Seriously! I really don''t mind cooking with it but was used to putting my revereware in the DW pre-hubby. Now we can only hand wash this stuff which is sort of a pain to me.

Date: 2/28/2007 2:45:30 AM
Author: strmrdr

Dh bought and brought home and used some set of iron looking stuff 3 years ago that is supposed to be ''seasoned'' and never washed. (this could possibly explain why I don''t cook a whole helluva lot, since I think it is a bit disgusting) Anyway, I read on the box that you never dishwash it, you never scrub it, etc. What is it and how much longer do I have to deal with it? Can I just accidentally break it and get something new? Is there some sort of reasoning behind what he likes to cook with? Keep in mind I''m no cook myself, lol....and I don''t mean to hijack...sorry!
That''s cast iron and it rocks :}
We used to use one that the handle was broken off of as a gong when shooting 22s
It is the best material out there for cooking anything but tomato sauce.

btw I still use cast iron pans that are over 75 years old.

edit: if they are older than the 1920s-1930 they need to be checked for lead content before using them and older than 1900 should not be used at all.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 2:45:30 AM
Author: strmrdr

That''s cast iron and it rocks :}
LOL!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Dh bought and brought home and used some set of iron looking stuff 3 years ago that is supposed to be ''seasoned'' and never washed. (this could possibly explain why I don''t cook a whole helluva lot, since I think it is a bit disgusting) Anyway, I read on the box that you never dishwash it, you never scrub it, etc. What is it and how much longer do I have to deal with it? Can I just accidentally break it and get something new? Is there some sort of reasoning behind what he likes to cook with? Keep in mind I''m no cook myself, lol....and I don''t mean to hijack...sorry!

Cast iron cookware can be washed with water, you just aren''t supposed to use soap. If you do use soap on it, you simply have to start the seasoning process all over again.

Chances are, you''re stuck with it forever, it won''t really wear out, and I suspect DH would just buy another set anyway--people who love cast iron really love it. Some say it adds more flavor to food. My parents use it because my dad was low on iron, an dthe pan naturally adds it to food (recommended by their doctor!)

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
What I love about cast iron is that it holds heat well as you add ingredients.

I have a 10 inch Analon chef''s pan, a 12 in calphalon wok, 9 inch Le Cruset, an 8 in cast iron. Non of these stick. My Allclad 2qt pot sticks if I burn something but otherwise it is never a problem. I have the little 7in sauce pan and omlette pan also from allclad and the omlette pan is worthless. Not only is it too small to cook an omlette in, but the sides are curved so I cannot keep the cooking food from sticking. Of all my cookware it is what I regret buying.

The Analon pan was my first pan and second ever kitchen purchase, first being a set of Wusthof knives. I have never regretted the buy and 6 years later it has all of its nonstick coating. while is has a curved bottom edge it is a nice slope that is easy to work with.

what is nice about the enameled le cruset is that if I really wanted to it is dishwasher safe (though I''d loose the tasty patina). Also as the pan heats up, the red enamel on the outside darkens. when it comes out of the oven this is a visual reminder of how the pan is hot. For cooking on the stovetop the handle stays cool for about 9 minutes on med-high heat. then a hotpad is needed (whoop de doo). right now it is my favorite.

The Calphalon pan has a lid which makes it very attractive for steaming foods, but it has a huge combersome handle. I hate the handle it has (breaker breaker this here is the rubber duck). its redeemign feature is the lid.

the cast iron I bought for camping, but it sees most of its use at home. nothing is better for makign eggs quickly in the morning. I can cook an omlette in just over a minute, an impossibility in the allclad whose aluminum core gives up heat too quickly.

I have heard only good things about ScanPan. Diamondfan mentioned them, but one of my groomsmen''s parents got a set of ScanPan cookware for a wedding gift, and have been married some 20some years. They have never had a problem with flaking. They have some heft, but I don''t think you would reget buying them.

If I were going to start buying over again; I would still have the enameled iron le cruset, a non stick skillet around 10 inches but with a lid, and 2 2qt saucepans and a double boiler that fit them.

the patent on the layered metal that Allclad had has expired, so shop around if you want the aluminum core (Allclad has an inflated sense of worth).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results