shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-flower centerpiece ideas for daytime wedding

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy start of the week to everyone!

You are all so good at this planning stuff that I have been reading up to see what I should even have on my list. :)

Our plan is to get married on the beach (saves on the site fees, and we''ll have no flowers or anything). Reception for about 50 people so it will be small. The venue has a lovely second floor room overlooking the ocean with lots of windows, and it will be a lunch reception.

I did a search here and found some threads for alternative centerpiece ideas to flowers, but most involved candles. Since the room will be so bright, I don''t think the candles will have much impact. Does anyone have any ideas? I saw some beach themed ideas, but most involved a candle. We could do some flowers, if it was minimal and used for accent (like petals or something.)

I appreciate your thoughts and help!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Fishbowls filled with sand and shells? Potted plants (I know it''s a plant, but a little easier), little cakes, favors in pyramid shapes..

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Or just a bud vase with one larger flower? (Gerber daisy? Tulips, Calla?) What is your theme? Beach? A little sailboat in a fishbowl? Fish in a fishbowl? (Imagine taking those favors home?
1.gif
).

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I like this... The conchs are actually lamps, but I think if you go to a beach shop, you can find them (real or fake and not lamps) for a decent price.

Giant%20Conch%20Lamps%20pair%20x%20300.jpg

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Or how about this? Hmmm.... I wonder why that first picture isn't showing up. It works if I click on the file and download it though...

07-24-03_02.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw one in the new Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine, designed by Genevieve Gorder from Trading Spaces (enough name dropping, whew!)

I''ll try to find a pix but it was a series of tall thin tumbler like glasses 1/2 filled up with navy beans (or those speckled cream/brown beans?) with a single daisy like colored flower sticking out of the beans, protected on all sides by glass.

Doesn''t sound like much, she made hers with a bunch of flowers from the grocery store, but it had visual impact.

Let us know whatcha pick!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 12:44:03 PM
Author: decodelighted
I saw one in the new Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine, designed by Genevieve Gorder from Trading Spaces (enough name dropping, whew!)

I''ll try to find a pix but it was a series of tall thin tumbler like glasses 1/2 filled up with navy beans (or those speckled cream/brown beans?) with a single daisy like colored flower sticking out of the beans, protected on all sides by glass.

Doesn''t sound like much, she made hers with a bunch of flowers from the grocery store, but it had visual impact.

Let us know whatcha pick!!
That one sounds cool, and to make it a little more "beachy" you could use small pebbles and rocks...

saturn

Shiny_Rock
What about fruit?
You could do bowls of oranges, lemons and limes. Or just use a whole pineapple as a centerpiece (with maybe a few orchids). Vases filled with kumquats would be nice. Or a bunch of chocolate covered strawberries would be delish!

Or, you could use groupings of blue glass bottles.

There''s just so many possibilites!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all!

Decodelighted, that sounds cool...wish I could find a pic of that. I thought about the fruit idea too, maybe lemons, or citrus. But I think the pineapple idea is a lot of fun!

I was asking my friend about ideas this morning, and we thought maybe a cool fishbowl with sand, shells and one of those fighting fish? They come in vibrant colors and don''t need a lot of room. Then we could put some shells around the bowl too.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 1:44:17 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Thanks all!

Decodelighted, that sounds cool...wish I could find a pic of that. I thought about the fruit idea too, maybe lemons, or citrus. But I think the pineapple idea is a lot of fun!

I was asking my friend about ideas this morning, and we thought maybe a cool fishbowl with sand, shells and one of those fighting fish? They come in vibrant colors and don't need a lot of room. Then we could put some shells around the bowl too.
Please, please don't use fish as decoration....they're little living creatures, and using them as a centerpiece seems so wrong. I hate the fact that they're in those tiny bowls to begin with (it'd be like you being confined to your bathroom for the rest of your life). If you put them in large fishbowls and find them all homes, that's another thing, but something about it still just doesn't sit right.

Are you going to have a wedding cake? I think centerpiece cakes are a great idea, and several people have told me (from the knot) that they were a hit...people getting up, mingling, trying different flavors. Apparently, they're not much more expensive than having a large cake, and you save money on candles, flowers, etc. Just an idea!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
EBree, I did think about that. The fish that I am talking about, I had heard should have a small bowl which does sound a bit weird since I am imagine in their native habitat, they''re pretty darn free! Anyway, after reading your post, I looked into it a little more and found this site: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anabantids2/p/betta.htm and it seems that the small bowl thing is controversal. So I think I''ll pan the idea. I had been thinking that we would only have about 5 or 6 tables, so my friend and I were talking about it and saying it would be pretty easy to find them good homes in advance. I know that I myself would take two...but again, I''m panning the idea.

So I''ll keep thinking of ideas for non live centerpieces!!!
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 2:10:45 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
We arent having flowers for our reception. Instead we are having some terrific glass center pieces from Sea World of all places. They are heavy glass blown fish and dolphins with strikes of blue colors running through the fish themselves. I will try and get a photo next weekend if you like, to show you?
That sounds really cool! Another idea might be bowls full of assorted chocolate seashells in the center. A centerpiece and favor in one!

Or, you know those big conch shells? They might be pretty centerpieces. You could sit them on piles of sand, or they could stand alone.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 2:14:30 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

I have a fish like this, he loves his habitat! We seriously considered this for our reception (had it been on land). I do know a few people who have done this for thier receptions as well, its very pretty and people love the take home table piece. lol :)
The event can be traumatic for the fish, though. Loud music, tables shaking...I heard that at one wedding (again, on theknot!) some child poured soda into the fishbowls and killed the fish. It's just not humane.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
San Diego Lady, your centerpieces sound wonderful! I would love to see pictures of them if you would post them for me.

Some people would be fine with the fish idea, others not so fine. I understand the feelings of both. But I would rather not chance offending one of my guests by having fish (and I really didn't think about that until I read EBree's post). After I went diving at the Great Barrier Reef a few years ago, I really didn't care to ever visit an aquarium after that, so I can certainly understand the sentiments of those who don't appreciate that fish are taken from the great wide blue and placed in confined spaces. Still I love looking at fish...even in a home saltwater tank.

And besides, I was going to have salmon as one of the choices...so that might just be plain disturbing if I had a fish centerpiece!!!
6.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 3:05:41 PM

And besides, I was going to have salmon as one of the choices...so that might just be plain disturbing if I had a fish centerpiece!!!
6.gif
LOL! Very true.

If you decided to go with the cake centerpieces, you could have the mini cakes (I hear 6'''' is good for 10 people) decorated in little icing or chocolate shells, and they could sit on a pile of sugar dyed to look like sand. That''d be really, really cute! Since it''s a lunch reception, you could keep the flavors light (fruity, angel food with whipped cream, etc.)

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine just sent me this link yesterday and I think it would be so easy to do and relatively inexpensive and especially fitting for a summer wedding because good fruit is so easy to find. You can buy small lollipop sticks at a craft store and spear the fruit and stick it into a foam (not oasis becuase it is a carcinogen) ball or square over a cute little pot. You could make it is bright or as simple as you would like and could add a mix of sea shells or starfish into the arrangement if you wanted to mix it up.

Just an idea.
2.gif

Here''s the link:

Fruit Centerpieces

-Janna

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janna, that is a cute idea, but I am so not artsy/crafy, that if I DIY'ed it, I think it would look horrifying!

EBree, the cake on sugar "sand" is a cute idea. I'll ask the caterer how much more expensive that would be.

aphisiglovessae - just downloaded the conch picture...I like that idea a lot too!

I knew you guys would be of great help...thank you!!!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
What are your colors? You could also buy tall glass vases in square or cylindrical shapes and fill them with sand, shells, sand shells and tie the color ribbon around the vase. I know you are against the candle idea, but it could turn out really cute....

sea shells and candles.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janna, did you just take time out to do that diagram for me? :) Whether or not you had it or just did it, thank you! I am a very visual person and need picture and diagrams...

I''m not opposed to candles at all. Just thought in the day time it would lose its impact. I like your jar idea, and could maybe accent the ribbon with a little flower too. I was going to get sand at the beach here, but realized it may not be the "prettiest" sand I''ve already found a seashell vendor online, so I wouldn''t be surprised if there was a sand vendor too. Lol.....

I haven''t picked any colors yet. You may be able to tell by now, but wedding planning is not my forte! I''m not having any bridesmaids, so picking colors isn''t too urgent at this point. Invitations will probably be plain old ivory ones.

The only thing I''ll need colors for are for the bridal bouquet, centerpieces, linens...and I think that''s it? Hm.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
If you want to use the sand/sugar thing, you could always use the natural sugar, it''s undyed and comes in a beige color. :)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 4:30:09 PM
Janna, did you just take time out to do that diagram for me? :) Whether or not you had it or just did it, thank you! I am a very visual person and need picture and diagrams...

I'm not opposed to candles at all. Just thought in the day time it would lose its impact. I like your jar idea, and could maybe accent the ribbon with a little flower too. I was going to get sand at the beach here, but realized it may not be the 'prettiest' sand I've already found a seashell vendor online, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a sand vendor too. Lol.....

I haven't picked any colors yet. You may be able to tell by now, but wedding planning is not my forte! I'm not having any bridesmaids, so picking colors isn't too urgent at this point. Invitations will probably be plain old ivory ones.

The only thing I'll need colors for are for the bridal bouquet, centerpieces, linens...and I think that's it? Hm.
I think so....unless you want your colors as accents on your dress or in your jewelry. Or in your cake. You could have "your colors" on anything, really! I'd (and several others, I'm sure) be happy to help you with whatever you need, whether it be ideas or research! I love doing research.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You ladies are great! I am the most uncrafty person in the world. I have been in JoAnn''s and Michael''s a couple of times, and both those places give me hives. I just don''t have the talent for that kind of stuff.

AmberWaves, the sugar idea is brilliiant! What a way to think outside the box. And probably prettier than sand too.

EBree, thanks...I really will take you up on that offer. Some people just love planning these things, and others like me, find it overwhelming and daunting.

I gave Janna''s idea more thought, and am wondering how do you keep the sand separated from the seashells so it doesn''t look messy? I told you I wasn''t very crafty or creative...
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
This is my absolute favorite beach centerpiece, the idea I was going to use when I was planning a beach wedding (it changed to a garden wedding!)

TDG003m.jpg

(from theknot.com)

So, so easy, cheap, and it doesn't have to be perfect (see all the chunky beach stuff at the bottom?). I would have posted it earlier, but I didn't think you wanted to use candles. Lit or not, I still think the candle in the center completes the look!

Are you getting married on a west coast beach or an east coast beach?

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool Ebree! That is a great alternative if you don''t want to do layers. I used to create table decorations for wine dinners in Texas and I always had fun with textured layers and candles. I think sand and shells with white, ivory, sand and robins egg blue or espresso is so yummy. You can do a layered ribbon too on the glass hurricanes or keep it simple glass with all the fuss inside. The white dishes really compliment this look.

As far as layering the sand and shells...it won''t look messy if you add a little water to the sand to keep it "packed" while you layer. The moisture will evaporate and leave you with great stripes. However, I like Ebrees photo better. It is simple and very classy, and so easy to do.

Here is a great site to buy sea shells at great prices:
sea shell site

If the sea shell candle thing is not your fav and you want more color you can do fun things with Gladious. They are so affordable and add a ton of color. In the summer I like to fill a hurricane with water and a filler like smooth river rocks, cranberries, whole lemons/limes and then stick in a colorfull bunch of gladiolas to add a punch of color. You can get a bundle of 10 stems for $5. Plus, Gldiolus mean "Love at First Sight".
1.gif
The attached picture shows a beachy theme. You could copy this idea and display sea shells and photos of you and your future hubby. if you wanted a more fun casual theme.

gladiolus center piece smaller file.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am getting married on a west coast beach (California, weather permitting).

I think with your help, I'm narrowing down the list of ideas. That last one you posted EBree seems very doable, especially if I only have to make 6 of them. I'd just have to find the bowls (or whatever you call them) somewhere. Someone mentioned Ikea might be a good place to look for that kind of stuff. Maybe I need to psyche myself up to go into JoAnns and Michaels.
14.gif

Do you think it the candle one that EBree posted would be too simple in color scheme? I really like it. Should it be placed on top of something, or maybe have stuff around it?

Janna, the last one you posted is my second runner up. Flowers for cheap would be kind of nice, and the entire display seems to have a bit more presence. The reason why I didn't opt for the flowers was mainly to cut down costs.

And thanks San Diego Lady..I am still very intrigued to see what yours look like.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 12:03:30 PM
Author:TravelingGal
We could do some flowers, if it was minimal and used for accent (like petals or something.)
What about potted orchid plants? They are minimalist, beautiful, easy and cheap.

Bravo to you for just saying no to the fish centerpiece!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 8:03:01 PM

Do you think it the candle one that EBree posted would be too simple in color scheme? I really like it. Should it be placed on top of something, or maybe have stuff around it?
I think that's what's perfect about it! It'll go with any color....especially something beachy (blues, yellows, greens, golds, silvers). There's a website someone posted earlier (it was Pebbles! I'll find it and post it when I can) that had centerpiece stuff (bowls, candles) for super cheap....it's where I'm ordering mine!

ETA: The link! http://www.save-on-crafts.com/candleshoppe.html
2.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that company is pretty good. I got all my flowers there and I was blown away by how beautiful they were! They were so inexpensive!! They really helped me save a lot of money.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm a huge fan of sugared fruit. or just plain ol fruit. done right it's so elegant!
Oh, I just saw that unlit candle sand one and it's very pretty!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I figured out what was wrong with that picture I posted!! Here ya go:

Giantconchcenterpiece.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results