shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-Diamond Engagement Rings (Article)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
This was really interesting! I have always liked the idea of a promise ring too, just to show that you are taken! There were some really pretty rings too!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahaha!!! I''m so ahead of the new trends, without even knowing...
26.gif

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had two girls I know do this, both for money reasons. They were ready to get engaged but weren''t going to be able to afford a diamond ring for a long time. Both of their rings are beautiful!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
It''s cool that there are lots of options when it comes to engagement rings.
I fully support folks who choose a ring to reflect their personalities and the unique nature of their relationship.

I do not beileve that gold/platinum/diamond rings are the only way for someone to express commitment to their loved one. (But personaly I do want a diamond set in platinum
30.gif
)

That said, It seems that the company mentioned in the article is using the "engagement ring" branding to sell what could be considered over-priced silver rings with gemstones.

The ring designs are beautiful in a casual artsy-craftsy way, but a quick search online nets me many other silver and gemstone rings made in Israel of similar quality for $30-$80.

Maybe folks just feel better about an engagement ring if the pay at least $200-300 for it ? (You could probably get something custom made for that price)

Perhaps this is just my opinion as a jewellry snob/bargain hunter {an odd combo, I know}

Get your sweety any ring your heart desires, but if you don''t shop carefully you may get ripped off.

contemplatively yours,

HD, your sober second thought
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I should mention that I got a gemstone ring because I wanted one and I'm not particularly fond of diamonds. (As evidenced by my very infrequent forays into Rocky Talky.)

Having said that, my ring's stats:
1.2ct blue spinel ~$200
first setting (14kt Vatche replica)= $250
second setting (custom 14kt solitaire) ~$650

And my spinel is not what you'd call top quality (although it makes my heart sing!) but it's not what I'd call a cheap option.

BTW, I've bought rings like the gemstone ones shown on that site, and mine were between $10-75. The $75 was a set of three rings. I'd rather go to Etsy and purchase something from there...

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
HopeDream - I can see exactly what you are saying. I think I like the idea of the company more than the actually merchandise. I think I only liked 2 rings on there.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting read! I think that''s a great option for couples. Centuries ago, using precious gems for an engagement ring was the norm. I forget what era diamonds gained popularity...maybe 2 centuries ago?

As for me, I''m a diamond girl
31.gif
But if I had to choose a non-diamond ering, I''d go with a sapphire center stone surrounded by a diamond halo
30.gif
Maybe someday I''ll get that as a rhr
27.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My first engagement ring (first marriage) was a tanzanite, and it was beautiful. I really like the idea of using gems for erings - Princess Diana, Sarah Ferguson, and Jackie Kennedy all had gemstone erings. The only problem with mine was that many people didn''t know that it was an ering, since diamonds have become so common - they just thought that it was a fashion ring. When I paired it with a wedding band, though, then it looked more like an ering.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I would have totally loved a ruby as an engagement ring stone. Unfortunately, they're as expensive if not more than diamonds. I'd also have loved a sapphire e-ring! Emeralds, too...though they're so fragile. Pink anything. Red spinel would have been lovely, too. Colored e-rings are so romantic. They definitely stand out.

I also echo the posters who didn't like anything on that site. Those rings were way overpriced for sterling and mediocre gemstones. But I did like the hammered silver bands. They had a nice organic feel.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother had a huge amethyst for her engagement ring and FI and I very seriously considered a sapphire center stone. In the end we couldn''t find the stone and setting of our dreams and we found my diamond ring. I still love colored stones though.

killerqueen17

Rough_Rock
I''m really torn in my search for an e-ring.
33.gif

On one hand, I have always been sort of turned off to the whole diamond thing. I''m concerned about issues of justice in the diamond mining industry, where many miners are paid sub-poverty wages and subject to terrible working conditions. I don''t really want another kind of gem, either. I don''t really want a colored stone on my e-ring, and also other gems are mined under similar situations as diamonds.

So I''ve been looking at a lot of rings with a Celtic pattern, and no stone (palladium is my metal of choice)... but then sometimes I get worried that I''ll regret choosing such a non-traditional style.

Suffice it to say that I don''t really know what I want, and it''s getting frustrating.
40.gif

This article was interesting, but I don''t really like many of those rings, especially since they''re silver, which to me seems too "cheap" for an e-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results