shape
carat
color
clarity

Nocturnal Contact Lenses

Hera

Ideal_Rock
This looks so interesting! I am below -4.0 and only a small astigmatism that isn't worth correcting. I have noticed that sparkly things don't look as sparky with my contacts so now maybe there's a way to see with my normal eyes! yay!

eta: Boo! I don't think they're in the US.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They're made in Scotland (just along the road from where I live) but from Somethingshiny's post, I think they are available in the US too?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I found one near me that prescribes them through the Ortho k site.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Holy moly! I just called to get round about pricing and for the fitting, follow up and two sets of lenses, it's $1750.00 US. Yikes! No nocturnal lenses for me!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah yes, they are a little bit ouchy on the wallet. Still, I can see stuff, so I'm counting it as well worth it. Also, they aren't so expensive here. Transport costs, maybe? I could walk to the factory from my house...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they are widely available throughout the US and have many manufacturers here too. They are pretty costly, but to me, $1800 is what I'd go through in about 4 yrs of contacts and glasses. So, after 4 yrs, I'm saving money. And Lasik (at a reputable place) is still 5-7K.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's what swung it for me too - they work out at less than I'd spend on glasses, given that I always have prescription sunglasses and two regular pairs (for when I lose one and can't see to find it...). I'm not a candidate for surgery, so this is the best I can do. I've used daily disposable lenses in the past, and they were a royal pain. Day two of being able to see and I'm loving it so far!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well there you go. If it sounds too good to be true....

Miserable things won't stay on my eyeballs. One night in three or four, they work perfectly. The rest of the time, they slide round to the sides of my eyes and don't correct my vision. I don't think I'm inserting them properly. My problem seem to be that I don't get them right on the iris, so they slip.

Can anyone who uses gas permeables (hard lenses) offer any words of wisdom?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear the nocturnal lenses didn't work for you. I started out with hard lenses before manufacturers made astigmatism soft lenses in my prescription. The hard lenses were very, very uncomfortable. I couldn't imagine going from soft lenses to hard. Just curious, why do you think the soft lenses are a royal pain?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I haven't given up yet, I just need to get better at putting them in, I think.

I don't think it's the type of lens that was a pain (soft) so much as just wearing them when I was up and around during the day. I seemed to have problems with pollen and dust getting under them / aggravating my eyes every single day.

The main attraction of the nocturnal hard lenses is that I'm asleep when wearing them.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
When I was using them, they were miserable for the first 10 days. I got numbing drops from the doc and then took a benadryl to sleep. You have to stare directly into the lens as you insert them. A drop of the solution on the inside of the lens will make it easuier. Also, have you been checked with the lenses in? The dr should make certain they're fitting well. You should be getting check-ups on Day1, Day5 or so, and again when your vision seems close to perfect.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for chiming in Somethingshiny. My optician has asked me not to use them until he's more confident that I'm inserting them properly. They do fit well, but I think I'm flinching away slightly when I insert them, so I'm not getting them sited properly. What you said about looking straight at them - that's the bit I think I'm struggling with!

I've booked an appointment for tomorrow and he'll go through it with me again - hopefully this time I'll get it right. I'm also hopeless at taking them out again, so he's ordered a gadget to help. Some sort of little sucker that plucks the lens off and saves me from shooting it across the room after an hour of poking at my eye.

I haven't given up hope, but it isn't as easy as I'd hoped. It's reassuring to know that other people find them uncomfortable for the first few days. My other issue is that when I get the first one in, it's so uncomfortable I can't see what I'm doing with the second.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You definitely need the plunger thing. It's awesome, pops the lens out so easily, but you have to look directly into it too. It just takes a bit of practice. You can do it!!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks, I'll have another go! I don't remember the soft disposable lenses being hard to insert or remove, so I'm surprised I'm finding this so difficult. I'll try, try again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results