shape
carat
color
clarity

no wedding band???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jaz

Rough_Rock

I am getting a wedding ring that is a pave band (tapers up from 4.6 at the bottom to 6mm on top) with a 2.78 emerald center stone and we have no plans to get a wedding band because it seems that there would be none that would look good.

My question is, do I *have* to also have a wedding band. Do women ever just wear their engagemtn ring as the whole she-bang?

I don''t want it to look incomplete, or that I''m "just engaged" when I''m married. I know this seems silly, but I really agonize over it. My prefernce would be to wear just the one ring--but I''m worried how it will come across to others. Will they ask what a pretty ring, when is the happy date?" Aaaaahh!!

Any help appreciated!

Jaz

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Jaz,
There is no rule that you have to wear a wedding band. Depending on the design of the ring, many women find they can''t or shouldn''t wear a wedding band next to their e-ring because it can cause damage to the rings. You should do whatever you want and feel comfortable with. Some women wear their wedding bands on their right hand. there was a great thread on this topic not to long ago. you can check it out here

1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom has one ring, she has a really wide ring because she wanted her whole finger taken up to look married.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I see this all the time, women wearing the two rings on different hands. It seems more common to have your wedding band on the left and ering on the right but i''ve seen it done the other way, with the ering on the left, wband on the right, particularly with ornate or 3-stone erings. Although i have a solitaire, I''m also leaning toward wearing my rings on different hands, it just feels like too much otherwise.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I know MANY MANY people who only wear 1 ring, of the e-ring kind of style, who are married. As long as you are happy, go for it!!

Jaz

Rough_Rock
Really Rita?? You know of alot of people who wear only one ring!?

Do they get asked when they are getting married alot? What would be your answer to folks who ask that?

Jaz

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I recently met a lady who''s been married for over 40 years, and all she wears on her left hand is her diamond solitaire. She wore nothing on her right hand. I happened to notice and take note, because her diamond was so sparkly. It wasn''t large, either...probably one carat or less, but it looked very nice and elegant in an understated way. She also had a very nice and distingushed looking husband to go with her pretty diamond...
2.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2005 11:33
6.gif
4 AM
Author: Jaz
Really Rita?? You know of alot of people who wear only one ring!?

Do they get asked when they are getting married alot? What would be your answer to folks who ask that?

Jaz
I did ask one of the ladies that works with me one time (when I first met her) if she had just gotten engaged, and she said to me "no, I am married and have been married for quite a while". I don''t know her super well to know if she gets asked a lot. Also, my manager only wears one ring. I''ll ask her if she gets asked a lot and what she tells people.

The answer seems simple to me if you get asked...what is wrong with saying, "I am married, but I only wear this one ring". It''s not a bad thing is it? People are just naturally curious, so if they ask kindly, no big deal. Of course, if they are nasty and start to criticize a person for only wearing 1 ring, that would be a different story.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
My mother only wore her ering and never got a wedding band. And no, I don''t think anyone ever asked her about it.

Would people really care that much or even notice?

A woman at work sometimes only wears her ering. sometimes just the wedding band. and sometimes just the plain band. sometimes she wears the ering with her band. no one says anything to her. we all know she''s married so it''s a non-issue for us.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
A girl I met in college told me it was customary in her religion - some branch of an eastern orthodox church, egyptian maybe? that they wear their engagement ring on their right hand during the engagement, there is a ceremony that goes with it, and then at the wedding ceremony the ring moves from the right to the left hand. SO typically, unless they add anniversary bands, the women have only one ring.

But regardless of religious reasons, I think its totally fine. There are so many different options, so basically, whatever you want!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I know multiple women who wear only their ering and for various reasons. I know one woman who wears it on her right hand. She says that she had been told that if you wear only an ering as a band, it is to be worn on the right hand. I had never heard that before, and I personally find it a whole lot more confusing!

I have heard women (wearing just one ring) being asked if they are married, so it is a definite possibilty. But, (and please don't flame me for this!) I think it may also have to do with age appearance. Whether right or wrong, I think people tend to assume that a younger looking woman with only an e ring on is engaged, while an older woman is likely married and choosing to just wear her e ring.

I also have friends that wear their e ring on the right hand and a just their wedding band on the left.

I can certainly understand the challange of finding a band to work with a 2.78 EC in a wide setting - but that's a challange I would gladly undertake!
9.gif

ETA: Sorry, I also noticed that you asked someone above how to respond if asked about wearing only one ring. I can't imagine that anyone would have difficulty with a simple "We just couldn't find a wedding band that I liked" or "I thought a band and an e ring would be uncomfortable on one finger," etc. (I write the second because I do fear that your finger might feel "trapped" if it is surround by approx 5mm of metal from your e ring in addition to the width of a wedding band.)

Good luck!
Munchkin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results