shape
carat
color
clarity

Night twitching

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My boyfriend twitches quite a bit when trying to fall asleep. We are wondering,is this something to bring up to a doctor?

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
What body parts? Sorry! That's an odd question! But is it his whole body or could he have restless leg syndrome?

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
hehe... reminds me that my cat's whole face would twitch when he was dreaming. looked like he was having a seizure in his face, plus all the hair and whiskers made it look more than it really was.

when falling asleep, it is quite common that a body part will suddenly spasm (I don't know if that's what you mean by twitching), and it will wake you up. that's actually the body's reaction to your limbs falling asleep so that you don't eventually cut off all circulation and get gangrene. however, it's lucky that our bodies are smart enough to wake us up before this happens (like when you wake up and your arm is all limp and you move it around to get the blood flowing).

if it's excessive twitching, then I have no idea what it is.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Arms and legs mostly, sometimes torso.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Reader - they sound like hypnogogic jerks. As long as they are relatively isolated (ie not ongoing clusters of jerking), only occurring around the time of sleep onset, your partner is rousable during them and is otherwise well I don't think you need to worry.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
reader said:
My boyfriend twitches quite a bit when trying to fall asleep. We are wondering,is this something to bring up to a doctor?
My husband does as well. Its nothing I've ever been concerned over, tho it can be quite annoying. I'm not worried about it...but sometimes worry I'm going to be injured since some movements are quick and cover some space...I'm afraid ill get a hand to the face!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
reader, you're a nice gf for being concerned. DH does this and all I can think of is how annoying it is.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good, nothing to worry about then. Yes, when he is twitching he is super easy to wake up, its as if his hearing is also in overdrive.
(Thanks for kind words, btw Choro)

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
My DH says I do it all the time, but there is nothing to worry about. I think it beefs up when I am stressed out, kinda like the stress escaping out of my body so I can get some sleep!

Pancake -Thanks for the clinical name for them, I never knew it.

Reader - That's very sweet of you to worry about your BF. What a lucky guy he is to have such a caring lady :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results