shape
carat
color
clarity

Nice people do exist!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I just thought I would post a nice story. I realized last night I was missing my wallet. Totally freaked out-husband OOT, no money, no ID, no credit cards.
23.gif
A police officer called this AM, a construction worker found it in the parking lot and turned it in. I had $105 and tons of credit cards and a checkbook-all was there; I was thinking of giving the guy $50-is that enough? I know I was very lucky.....

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I like this thread already! A nice thing happened to me as well. I left my keys in the door... at NIGHT, so even though my door was locked, it meant nothing. It was late, like 11 o''clock, and someone knocked on the door. I decided not to answer it because sometimes there are unsavory people in the neighborhood, and DH is away, so I figured I should keep it locked. LUCKILY my neighbor didn''t give up and kept knocking and returned my keys to me. It scared me a little though, and I''m afraid I might do it again.

*M*

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hooray for a feel good story. I think $50 is fine, but I am known for going over board. It''s is great to hear that there are honest and good people out there. Loosing a wallet and all the personal info in it and to have it returned with everything in tact, well that''s awesome!!!!
36.gif

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I know, I thought I should send more. I was thinking of having to cancel all my credit cards etc and what I would have given to avoid that..... I think sometimes good karma follows you. New Years Eve we found a lost dog it''s owner, and they were so grateful. We got a nice note from them and it is nice to be appreciated.....

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
Ooo - Nice story!

I think $50 is definitely enough.

Here''s our good story:
My bf went surfing in Hawaii and had one of those waterproof containers attached to his shorts. Well - needless to say he lost it while surfing. The locals all told him to forget it cause people on the beach would just take whatever was inside and through the container away (which included his glaases and his hotel room key!!). So after much stress and searching on the beach he finally went back to his hotel -- where a boy was waiting with his mother to give my bf back his stuff!! He had $75 bucks in the container and gave it all to the kid. The kid was pretty shocked, but was beaming all the way out of the hotel.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a nice story! I love reading about stuff like this. I tink $50 is enough but any amount you decide to give would be welcomed, I''m sure. How about including a thank-you note and a plate of homemade cookies with that?
1.gif

Back when I was still single and living with housemates, one night an elderly neighbor knocked at our door. I looked through the peephole and saw his grumpy-looking face and opened the door thinking, "oh great. what does this guy want." He said, "Hi. Your car''s headlights are on. I wanted to tell you so that when you leave for work tomorrow morning, you won''t be met with a bad surprise!" Turns out he lived one long block away and walked over (slowly with his cane) to tell me. I wanted to hug him but I just thanked him profusely instead. Good neighbors do exist!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think $50 is a perfect amount, and very nice.

It is very nice to know that a good deed is appreciated....much like a story above, I saw once that a neighbor had left their keys in the front door. I knocked and knocked and they finally answered. When I showed them the keys they were practically irritated. That made ME so mad I thought...never again will I bother to help you out!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I think 50$ is perfect amount too. Usually for stuff like that, I use a gift certificate instead of money because people sometimes decline bills outright. I sent a 50 gift certificate to a mall (all stores) near a man''s house, he found my guy''s wallet at a store and then mailed it to us (he even paid for the shipping). SO nice of him.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 1:16:43 PM
Author: allycat0303
I think 50$ is perfect amount too. Usually for stuff like that, I use a gift certificate instead of money because people sometimes decline bills outright. I sent a 50 gift certificate to a mall (all stores) near a man''s house, he found my guy''s wallet at a store and then mailed it to us (he even paid for the shipping). SO nice of him.
I like this idea. It might be weird for him to accept cash, so how about a gift certificate to a restaurant, bestbuy, homedepot, or another store a construction worker might like.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 4:57:21 PM
Author: kcoursolle

I like this idea. It might be weird for him to accept cash, so how about a gift certificate to a restaurant, bestbuy, homedepot, or another store a construction worker might like.
Not only do I agree with KC''s idea, but I think that getting a gift card or something shows a little effort from you, which would punctuate the thank-you nicely.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
It''s stories like this that give me hope. Sometimes I think I''m too nice. One time I was in line in a store behind a lady holding a child. She dropped her keys, so I picked them up for her. Not one word of thanks...I mean I didn''t do it expecting a thank you, but isn''t offering one just common sense? I also don''t get how no one on a crowded train or bus will give up their seat for an obviously pregnant woman.

The GC idea sounds great.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
I think $50 is a nice reward.

Something similar happened to me. I left my wallet in the back seat of a cab, while I was living in NYC. Ugh. The nice man who found it called my credit card company, who called me at work with his contact info, and everything was fine.
9.gif

Glad your wallet was found and everything is ok.
36.gif

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I think you guys are right, a gift card would show some effort- I have to mail it to him anyway. Good idea.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
What a nice happy ending!!!
36.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
It''s certainly a laudable gesture, but before going out and buying a gift card, I would first call him and actually offer the reward. He may not want one. People this honest frequently don''t.

I know that if it were me--and I have been on the "samaritan side" of these sorts of things myself--I would not accept any kind of reward. Just a thought.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great story, Gail. Glad to hear there are good people in this world!

We are fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood where people actually look out for each other...when we first moved in our garage door opener malfunctioned one day and without knowing, the door was left wide open (facing a busy street) and our neighbor across the street (he''s a US Marshal) came over and closed it for us--we didn''t find out until 8-9 hrs. later when we both got home from work! There are a lot of DH''s tools and fishing poles, reels, plus other equipment stored in there, so we stood to lose a lot of money if someone had decided to come in and help themselves because one of us hadn''t waited to make sure the door actually closed that day! Also, our beagle got loose one day when the latch on our gate in the backyard froze leaving it unlocked and he was able to push it open and get out...I went to the back door to let him in not 2 minutes after letting him out for a potty break and he was gone. Beagles have a tendency to run away and get lost due to them being scent hounds and getting distracted by too many fun smells and losing their original trail, so I really panicked. Fortunately I went around the front of the house and two gals in a minivan from the neighborhood had already picked him up, went to our other neighbor''s house across the street and he took Milo into his garage for safekeeping (our info was engraved on his tag so all he had to do was knock on our door, but I think he thought we weren''t home). This all happend during our first 6 months in the house...we learned some good lessons but also that we had great neighbors who were very caring. I will hate to leave this neighborhood in the next couple of years--I can only hope we find another home in a neighborhood where people still care about each other like they do here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results