color
clarity

Next time you make mashed potatoes ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... add a sweet potato.

Yum Yum :cheeky:, and healthier too.

Also don't peel the potatoes before cutting them; I just soak them scrub them well.
Less work, less mess, more fiber. :dance:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We call sweet potatoes kumera
everdently it counts as your 5 plus a day
Ive grown to like it as mash
now i just add one spud and mainly use the kumera
I like the orange best - makes the mash look pretty

I don't know why but kumera are twice the price as spuds here

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If any one has a spair 3 or 4 min here is the story of the farming couple who saved the kumera in NZ
I don't like to use the world sweet very often but this is a sweet story

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a child in Hong Kong, I would often buy roasted sweet potatoes from street vendors, and chose the skinny ones with the most caramelisation on their skins.

I could find the vendors by following the smell of caramelisation a couple of blocks away.

DK :))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why not just have mashed sweet potato and skip the other at that point.
Tastes better and better for you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
or hunt down some kennebec potatoes for the the best white tater taste.

Personally, I like sweet potatoes more than regular potatoes! I really only ever ate potatoes in either roasted, fried (as in French fries) or mashed form; and sweet potatoes > regular potatoes for all 3. Potatoes only beat out sweet potatoes in baked potato form, I find.

You can also make mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes the next time, but be warned that you’ll have picky eater friends going on about betrayal, deceit and an affront to the good name of Mashed Potato if you try :lol: :lol: (Though honestly, mashed cauliflower is fantastic if made correctly. I have a giant bowl of it for dinner couple times a month).

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never eat regular old spuds anymore, I much prefer sweet potatoes, as mash or chips/fries. Better for you and oh so delish! :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We only eat sweet potatoes vs regular potatoes as I cannot eat nightshades. And mashed sweet potato is delicious as are sweet potatoes in all forms. YUmmmmmmm.

My favorite sweet potatoes are the ones with the white flesh inside. So good.

sweetpotatoes.png

But we enjoy both.

sweetpotatoes.jpg

FYI:
For those of you who are nightshade sensitive:
Nightshade vegetables belong to the family of plants with the Latin name Solanaceae. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are all common nightshades.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man. Everyone says this but I'm allergic and they make me really sick :( I agree on not peeling them though. They still taste so so good :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New batch. Fresh out of the oven.
Tastes amazing and the smell is just divine.
YUmmmmmmm.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.05.59 AM.png

Hi my name is missy and I am a sweet potato-aholic.

And since this is the season how about sweet potato pie? I know that is taking something healthy and making it less so but how can we not talk about sweet potato pie with the holiday season coming up?

Not my photo. If we make SPP I will share a photo here. For now hope this will do.
sweetpotatoepie.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man. Everyone says this but I'm allergic and they make me really sick :( I agree on not peeling them though. They still taste so so good :D

Aww I am sorry you are allergic @MeowMeow.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We only eat sweet potatoes vs regular potatoes as I cannot eat nightshades

I've heard/read a bit about this.....I'm concerned I may be hurting myself by eating nightshades....(arthritis) what do you substitute for Tomatoes?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard/read a bit about this.....I'm concerned I may be hurting myself by eating nightshades....(arthritis) what do you substitute for Tomatoes?

Not everyone is sensitive but unfortunately I am. I did an elimination diet to make sure which is something perhaps you can consider doing? I don't substitute anything for tomatoes per se but I eat lots of other vegetables so I don't feel like I am missing out.

Here's some info fyi.

HTH and good luck!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you guys!!!!
I've got some reading to do:)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My condolences to all allergic to tomatoes
im sorry but that is the worst food allergy i can think of taste wise :(2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results