shape
carat
color
clarity

Newby needs help on important decision making

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

erikwindslow

Rough_Rock
I am a total newb in diamonds but need to make a big decision quick. Can you guys tell me what''s good and bad about this one. Thank you in advance! Erik
EGL report:
Weight 4.01 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity VS2
Measurements 9.94 x 9.88 x 6.24 mm
Depth 63%
Table 61%
Crown 13.3%
Pavilion 42.9%
Crown Angle 34.5°
Pavilion Angle 40.7°
Girdle THIN TO VERY THICK FACETED
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade N/A
$39999.00
Cut: Very Good Class -1b

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. The girdle variation is really huge, not good.

2. It's deep meaning it will look smaller than similar 4 ct. stones that are not as deep.

3. It doesn't appear to be well cut.

I would pass personally...you trying to maximize size I assume?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. This is a BIG decision.

The EGL report is a significant red flag. The stone is probably what GIA or AGSL would call a J/ SI1 or worse, given its price (no, you are not getting a bargain).

The cut is not exciting, with a significant amount of weight hidden in the girdle (the stone faces up like a 3.6, not a 4 ct). Girdle variability is also suspect. Finally, the table is quite large and above what many would consider "top flight".

I''d pass.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 9:26:28 AM
Author:erikwindslow
I am a total newb in diamonds but need to make a big decision quick. Can you guys tell me what''s good and bad about this one. Thank you in advance! Erik
EGL report:
Weight 4.01 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity VS2
Depth 63%
Table 61%
Crown 13.3%
Pavilion 42.9%
Crown Angle 34.5°
Pavilion Angle 40.7°
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade N/A
$39999.00
Hi Erik,

This isn''t a very badly cut diamond, but it isn''t particularly well cut either. It is deep so the diamond will look small for its weight and the thin to very thick part of the girdle is too wide a variance for me personally. Do you know which EGL lab graded the diamond? This is important to know, EGL USA are said to be the strongest of the EGL labs.

erikwindslow

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much guys!

I just wanted to see if this was a fare value for this diamond.

It looks like I should pass on this one then.

It is EGL USA

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 10:13:56 AM
Author: erikwindslow
Thank you very much guys!

I just wanted to see if this was a fare value for this diamond.

It looks like I should pass on this one then.

It is EGL USA

Well it isn't the best cut diamond but it isn't terrible like I said - it could be improved on. It is a bit too deep, the girdle variance is wide - these are undesirable. The crucial crown and pavilion angles are good. The table is a little large but not a deal breaker. Also with a purchase of this magnitude I would not rush the decision to purchase any diamond. If you tell us exactly what you are looking for and budget, if you are open to buying online then maybe we could find some diamonds you might like as suggestions.

You could contact a vendor such as www.whiteflash.com to find out more on a diamond like this for example.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1764617.htm# More info is needed but it might be worth an enquiry.

Here are some numbers you can use to help you find a well cut round diamond.

depth - 60 - 62% - although you can go a bit deeper if you wish, say around 62.2% or 62.4% max.
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
erik,

deep cut diamonds like this one can have a tendency to look darker than more ''correctly'' cut diamonds. if too shallow, it can look milky, if too deeo it can look dark. personally, i aim for between 60.7 and 61.7%. for table, try to stick between 55 and 57%

good luck!

erikwindslow

Rough_Rock
THese are some pictures of this diamond I am lookin at:

Picture 015 (2).jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girdle is pretty thick, and the table is bigger than I like... but at this point, you usually can''t be too picky.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 3:37:13 AM
Author: JulieN
girdle is pretty thick, and the table is bigger than I like... but at this point, you usually can't be too picky.
Ditto, if you have seen it and like it as 4ct diamonds are pretty rare, make the sale final on the diamond checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal. Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

rosy.jilson

Rough_Rock
The price you are getting is really awesome... Go for it... I am sure you wont find this thing at this cheap price...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flush this one down the toilet
14.gif
it has the diameter of a well cut 3.70 ct stone.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Not only does it have a small spread for it''s size, there''s no way that''s an H or a VS2. Based on the search I just did, the average price for an H, VS2 is closer to 80-83k. That''s double what this stone is going for. You have to ask yourself why..

iraweissman

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''ll leave the comments on make to everyone else, but I''ll tell you about price.

To round things out, you are offered $10,000 per carat. The rap price for a 4ct HVS2 RB is 24,600. So you are paying around 60-back. That''s an insanely good price for a retail customer. To put that in perspective, on Rapnet, an industry diamond trading site, there are a number of 4 ct EGL-USA diamonds listed. The CHEAPEST listed online in this color/clarity range is 52 back, and the majority of them are 40 back. 40-back would equal $59,187.60 for your stone, and that''s a WHOLESALE price.

Which makes me wonder about the the diamond. It must have been bought off the street for cash, or it''s a milky stone with poor material which would trade at such a significant discount. But if you saw it, and it didn''t look milky and not sharp, then I''d say go for it. You wont'' find a deal like this again.

Date: 3/9/2009 9:26:28 AM
Author:erikwindslow

EGL report:

Weight 4.01 CT

Shape ROUND BRILLIANT

Color H

Clarity VS2

Depth 63%

Table 61%

Crown 13.3%

Pavilion 42.9%

Crown Angle 34.5°

Pavilion Angle 40.7°

Polish EXCELLENT

Symmetry EXCELLENT

Fluorescence NONE

Culet NONE

Cut Grade N/A

$39999.00

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results