shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbies- My diamond ring buying experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

srthomas21

Rough_Rock
and browsed through their engagement ring catalog and found the PERFECT ring. It was 18K white gold with four princess cut diamonds and four bagette cut diamonds for a total weight of 1.00 ct. The color was guaranteed to be in the G-H range and the clarity was guaranteed to be VS. The price was $1525. Cautious as I am, I checked with the BBB and the Jewelers Board of Trade and they checked out fine. I then called them and gave Sam(who was most helpful) the criteria for the center stone. I'm very picky and wanted a .71, F, VS2, Ideal cut, Very Good Polish, Very Good Symetry, GIA certified diamond. Sam found one for me for $2820. It was a little more than I wanted to pay but I wanted those specific ratings and it was a great deal as well(the cheapest price I found). I was still leary of buying such a high priced item over the internet so I told Sam that I was going to have it appraised. He said that was fine and also he told me about their unconditional 30 day money back guarantee. By this time I felt better and went ahead and ordered the diamond. When I recieved the diamond by Fedex(they will ship you diamond overnight for free.!)I was ecstactic. The diamond was beautiful and had a lot of WOW value. To say the least it was spectacular. I paid a total of about $4300. I had it appraised by a independant appraiser today and the appraisal came in at over $9000! It pays to do your research. I was extremely happy with Avos and Co. and especially Sam who helped me with my purchase. I had a great experience and most important of all my bride to be absolutely loves her new engagement ring. She can't take her eyes off of it. She's the envy of all her friends
smile.gif
[/u]

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Scott,Table size and total depth look good. It would be also good to know crown and pavilion angles (or depths). Unfortunately, GIA report doesn't provide these vital data.I know what you are saying about appraisal. Today most of the Internet diamond dealers work for 5%-10% commissions. I also see some consumers report prices from brick and mortar stores comparable with Internet prices.Nevertheless, you've got a great deal. Enjoy!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Srthomas21, Congrads with your diamond and engagement!
appl.gif
Thanks for sharing this experience with us. It is always great to hear success story.The diamond you've chosen sounds lovely and the price is quite good. Do you know the proportions of the stone? Just don't be too excited about $9000 for appraisal. 2x inflated appraisal doesn't sound good. It means you have to pay more for insurance. What type of insurance do you have and what is their replacement policy?

srthomas21

Rough_Rock
Hi,It is an Ideal cut. Proportions are:Table: 55%
Depth: 61%
Flouresence: None
Girdle: thn-medium?
The appraisal is for what you would pay in a retail store. I paid a little above wholesale.Scott

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy it Scott!
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Scott,Lawmax knows better about diamond insurance but she'll be away for a while...She checked several companies to insure her diamond and found Chubb Insurance to be the best.Check the details at www.chubb.com .

srthomas21

Rough_Rock
Hey Leonid,Thanks for your replys. How does insurance work with diamonds? Do you put it on your homeowners? Thanks,Scott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results