shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie questions

Tiz

Rough_Rock
Greetings gem masters!

I purchased my first gemstones recently. Yay! They were a 1.08ct purple/lavender sapphire and a 0.65 ct padparadscha. Both have pastel colours so i thought they look nice together. I want to set them now. Do you think I should set them as a pair ear studs, a pair of studs jackets/charms, or a pendant? I know people here tend to set gemstones in rings but I dont wear any of my rings since I am keep rubbing my hands with hand sanitizer.
Second question, i know it is probably too late to ask, but do you consider these to be a good lavender sapphire and padparadscha? Especially the pad. Should it be more pinkish? Are their windows Too big? I only read about windows after i paid for these. Doh!
AndLast questions . Can we reset gemstones without damaging them? Is worth resetting a small gemstone?
sorry for asking so many questions..
TIA !
EF2C5742-635C-445E-A7E3-E229A6F52DA2.jpeg

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any other pictures of the stones looking straight down through the table/crown of the gem?

also, any pictures of them in indirect daylight? The lighting there looks rather yellow and sallow.

You can reset gemstones, but depending on the stone and setting there’s some risk. Durable stones (like sapphire) in a prong setting can be switched more easily than softer (like tanzanite) in a bezel setting.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Petite and appealing to my eye.

Agree with above -- the image is very yellow. Compare the "white" in your photo (assuming the cushion and fabric are actually white) to the white in the ad or text box right below your photo. I'm guessing this is incandescent light -- or even one of those orange/brownish LED bulbs

Tiz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying! I couldn't take good photos yesterday because the weather was miserable the whole day. So today i took some photos under sunlight, indoor by the window . The stones are inside clear plastic boxes and the background is white. I dont have good tweezers so i had to put them in their boxes to take the photos. AEE75333-190A-41D6-9DC8-D5C95081F7F7.jpeg 390FDC15-7EC6-4C65-8AFD-007F8CF379E0.jpeg Hope you can see them better now..

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
For your question about settings, do you like asymmetrical ear studs? Or would you want to wear only one at a time? It very much depends on your aesthetic :)

As to your question about the quality of the stones, understand that it’s a pretty murky question to answer. I can answer to *my tastes* but you might have a different idea in mind. Judging value is a pretty complex task.

That said, I think the colors are rather pretty. Padparadscha color is a whole massive subject of debate about how delicate, how much pink, how much orange, etc etc. My preference normally calls for a little bit more orange to the hue. In regards to window, yes, both of your stones look like they have fairly serious windows, and as such I hope you didn’t pay gobs and gobs for them. The colors are nice, and if you love them, cherish them.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now the background is bright blue! I took some screenshots and adjusted the white balance and decreased the exposure half a stop. This is very crude but it should remove most of the color cast from the white balance. (Looks yellow-ish to me but Lightroom assures me that this is neutral.)

Can't tell if the hue or saturation is accurate, though.

Big windows in both. Lots of lines over the blue -- can't tell if this is scratches in the plastic box or inclusions in the stone

pink other.jpg

blue other.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is your first photo with neutral white balance. Looks pretty, imo.

pink blue original.jpg

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i think your sapphires are very very pretty. I love both the padparadscha as well as the purple sapphire.

i love the hue and tone to both of them! i also think they have a beautiful shape, proportions are very pleasing.

I do see windowing. But i've never minded windows in color gemstones. i rather have that than a color gem that is cut massively thick, with an enormous pavillion.

i think you can set them in a variety of ways. as long as you get enjoyment out of them. could be stud earrings with or without jackets, could be pendant ...etc

the color looks very harmonious together.

from the images, the padparadscha, in particular, is quite glowy

congratulations on 2 lovely sapphire gemstones!

Tiz

Rough_Rock
LilAlex, thanks so much for adjusting the colours! Thats the exact colour of the pad in sunlight! The scratches are on the box. My cat played football with it while I was taking photo of the pad :lol:. I thought the colours are pretty together too. Could become a pendant...or studs...oh not again! :lol:

JAcktrick, yep asymmetrical studs was my first plan. I even thought of making one a dangling earring and one stud, but now I think its better if they are just studs. Im still undecided between studs and pendant though.Yeah you are right the windows are big. I didnt pay gobs of money :D. But it might be slightly cheaper if I were to buy them in US. Its just annoying that I didn't do a complete research before buying. I find buying gemstones is much more difficult than buying diamonds. I have to look at the type of stone, treatment, colours, inclusions, cut, etc. I think after getting a blue sapphire and a tsavorite (or green spinel if there is one), I will stop buying gemstones. Too confusing for me :lol:

Big Fat Facets, aww thank you very much!
The padparadscha IS glowy is real life. Im not a big fan of purple actually but recently I kept seeing pretty purple stones. I saw a very shiny purple spinel the other day. I had to control myself from clicking 'buy now' :lol:

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Gem buying is tough, and complicated! But if you love them, learn about them! It’s part of the fun :)

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Tiz

i think stud earrings would be such fun and unexpected as they are both different colors and differently shaped.

i recall you already have a really lovely diamond pendant. although, perfectly stylish to layer a gemstone pendant with a diamond pendant as well.

please be sure to post lots of pictures for us to admire your new piece, once it is set.

have fun and enjoy yourself!!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I actually love the idea of studs! It would be unexpected and fun. they're lovely colors IMO, let us see the finished item, whatever you choose!

Tiz

Rough_Rock
Big Fat Facets, layering! Thats a great idea! Thanks! Will think about it. More to think about :).
FL , i saw a pear pendant in matte yellow gold the other day. It looks simple, clean, cute and makes the stone really stand out even without any melee diamonds. So i think If im going with studs, I will make it in matte yellow gold=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results