shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie on this forum - preconception blood work

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzard

Rough_Rock

Hello there – although this is my first time posting in this forum, I just want to start out by saying I’ve been following all of your threads for some time and you''ve all been a great inspiration to my husband and I who have recently started TTC. This forum provides many lurkers, like myself, with a wealth of information and I can’t even imagine what women did “back in the day” before the internet was available!

Prior to TTC, I had pre-conception blood work and my doctor, who is extremely thorough, ordered two additional tests – Cystic Fibrosis and a test for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). Well, low and behold, I tested positive as a carrier for both genetic disorders (although no one in my family has either). The doc told me that unless my DH tests positive for both, we should be able to conceive a healthy baby. She expressed more concern over the positive SMA test, as this is can be very serious if passed to a child (usually resulting in death). Fortunately, the odds of carrying the gene are very low – 1 in 50; however, because the testing is new, most insurance companies do not cover this test. Most couples aren’t aware that this test is available to them. Even if both partners test positive, there are still methods available for conceiving a healthy baby.

According to American College of Medical Genetics, new recommendations from the ACMG''s Professional Practice and Guidelines Committee of the ACMG, says all couples should be tested - "Because SMA is a common genetic disorder in all populations, carrier testing should be offered to all couples regardless of race or ethnicity." Thomas W. Prior, Ph.D., professor at The Ohio State University.

Here''s a link for more info on SMA: Genetic Test for Spinal Muscular Atrophy

My DH is having his blood work tomorrow and we’ll know is he’s a carrier within the next month.

I just wanted to post this to make sure all women who are actively TTC speak up to their doctor and get a pre-conception blood work up, just to be safe, and ask for ALL tests, not just the ones covered by insurance. The odds of testing positive for genetic disorders are slim, but it is better to play it safe. Knowing how thorough and passionate we all are about conceiving, I’m sure you’re all a step ahead of me! This post is not intended to freak anyone out, just hoping to spread some useful, fairly new information.

2.gif

That said, I will continue to follow these posts and stay positive. Baby dust to all! 2009 is our year!

~Hugs~

1.gif

lizzard

Rough_Rock
Sorry guys! This post was intended for TTC forum. I just emailed the message admin- please disregard!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results