shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canadian 1

Rough_Rock
Hello I am a newbie to this forum(and think it's great btw) I need some help please.
Long story short. Looking at a diamond it's A SI2
G color 1.03 Round brillant.
Diameter: min 6.55 max 6.61 Depth 3.96mm
Visual Appearance: WELL CUT
Table: 3.79mm 57.59% 58%rounded off
Crown Angle: is 30 degrees (is this right?)
Girdle Thickness: min-Very Thin Max-Thin
Total Depth% 60%
Pavillion Depth 44% (I don't have the pavillion angle)
Culet size - NONE
FINISH:
Polish VG
Minor Symmetry C/oc VG (not sure what this means)
Visual Appearance: Minor Inclusions
GRADE:SI2
Color G
UV Florescence: Strong Blue
Comments- Facetted Girdle.
Can anyone help me and tell me if this is good stats for a diamond and around what price range should I be paying?
The diamond is on hold but obviously not forever so any help/advise that someone could give me is greatly appreciated.
canadian 1
confused.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
sorry, this is a poor cut !

canadian 1

Rough_Rock
Hi Stephan and Thankx for your reply. Could you expand a little and let me know what exactly makes it a poor cut. I'm still learning and love to listen.
4.gif

canadian1
P.S. with this being a poor cut what is the most one should pay?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I beg to differ, this cut may be very good. I say this because I ran it through the HCA with the specs you listed below and it got 1.8 BIC Excellent....with EX on Brilliance, EX on Fire, VG on Scintillation and EX on Spread. Pretty good results. What a BIC means is that your stone will look very brilliant(e.g. bright white sparkles)..as opposed to very fiery (e.g. lots of colors). The reason for this is probably the very shallow crown angle. 30 degrees is very shallow, but my stone is 29.9 degrees and its amazing.

The one thing I would be concerned about would be the Strong Blue Fluor. Did you see this stone in sunlight and all other lighting? Make sure it does not look milky inside due to the SB Fluor. If it doesn't, then you should be fine. What SB means is that if you are under a black light or similar, the stone will shine blue. Kinda fun. Just be sure its clear fluor and that the strong blue does not add a milky appearance to the stone (happens in around 5% of SB stones).

Also be sure the SI2 is eye-clean, or if it is not, then try to set the inclusion under a prong or similar. Don't want a messy stone!

All of that said, the price for this stone should be pretty good due to the shallow crown angle, SI2 grading and SB fluor. Maybe around $3500? I'm not too sure where you are buying, offline B&M's can often be more pricey than online. Online there are some similar spec'd stones (G SI2 1.02c) for $3300-3400 for comparison purposes.

If you have seen the stone in person and love it, that is what is most important. My stone is a BIC too and I adore it. It's a great way to save some money and also chances are your BIC stone looks a little bigger up top than 1.03c...which is always nice.

2.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While this diamond "may" be a brilliant one with a very good HCA score, it is not a well cut diamond in terms of its durability. A thin or very thin girdle combined with a 30 degree or less crown angle represents a riskier than average situation for chipping to occur.

One can define a highly brilliant diamond simply looking at the parameters and the HCA most times. One can also define a well crafted diamond simply looking at the AGS or AGA parameters most times, too. There are some well crafted, yet not superbly brilliant stones, such as at the deep end of the AGS 0 category.

While brilliancy and great cutting tend to work in concert, they do not define eachother. There are times that both factors can or should be considered before selecting a diamond..... The above example is a very good one.

A potentially very brilliant diamond with a potentially weaker than standard girdle.

canadian 1

Rough_Rock
Your right Mara it does come out at 1.8 throught the HCA.
Reading your reply got me excited because someone was telling me that this could be a nice diamond. I have had someone else say to me "this is not going to be as bright as a stone with better proportions. Also I would stay away from a very thin girdle as well."
The thin girdle is an issue as oldminer has also been kind enough to point out and I do wish that it was thicker.
Let me tell you my story, oh no I hear all the moans lol lol
The place I do business with
I am kinda stuck dealing with them as I want to do a trade up and I'm in for about $3600.00 right now. I'm wanting to trade a diamond that I am not happy with and probably should have never got, it's a .70 exact E color I1 thick girdle blah blah. I let the fact that it was an E color cloud my better judgment and I even knew back then that it also looked small for it's size. Lately it seems that this business has been getting harder to deal with, but I feel I have to putup with their not so niceness shall we say because I want to trade up to a nicer diamond and just don't want to get taken. Every body has to eat I don't have a problem with that it's just that I"m not taking them out for steak and lobster.
9.gif

I can't go anywhere else (I wish I could) but don't want to waste what I already have invested. Any advise? could sure use it. Thankx to all!

canadian 1

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my take on the thin girdle...get it insured. If you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and like the stone, just buy it and get it insured. Get it insured through a co like Chubb or something similar where they will cut you a check if the stone chips. That is what we did with our 29.9 shallow crown angle stone. Now I could really care less what happens to it. Because I know it's going to be covered. We insured it for slightly over the purchase price, so we definitely at least get our money back if anything happens to it.

My two cents anyway. If you are stuck in a place and need to buy a stone from this vendor, and you like the way this one looks...there are ways around the thin girdle. Or set it into a bezel setting.

2.gif

canadian 1

Rough_Rock
What a lovely person you are Mara to take the time to help me figure out this situation. Your idea on getting insurance is a great, and one that I will definately be thinking on. I'm not that hip on bezel settings(at least any that I have seen so far)so I have to consider that idea out but do wish to thank you again for helping me with this. I will be sure to let you know what I decide.

canadian 1
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results