shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs advice about resizing platinum rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

syk23

Rough_Rock
I haven''t been able to wear my engagement ring (tiffany style single stone) or wedding band (chanel set) for about one year now, since I was about 22 weeks pregnant. I thought that after I had the baby, everything would go back to normal, but baby is 8 months old now, and rings are still too tight. I would like to be able to wear them again, but in my brief research I have done so far, it looks like resizing platinum rings up can be complicated and done poorly.

So my querstions are these:

1) How do I find a good jeweler to do this? I live in Providence, RI, and moved here recently. Unfortunately, I lived somewhere else when I got the rings - I know they will resize for free, but since I don''t live there anymore, it isn''t going to happen.

2) What kind of questions do I ask to make sure they will do a good job?

3) What should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
My platinum ring is getting resized right now. I found that the prices between stores can vary a lot. One place was charging $166, the other $50. I don''t know the quality of the work yet b/c I haven''t gotten back my ring.

The price can depend on your type of ring, how much you are going up in size, and probably other factors. It will cost more because it is platinum and they are going up in size.

It might be more cost effective to mail your old jeweler the ring to resize it for free. Is that not an option? You could go get your finger resized where you live.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Check out Good Old Gold, they have an awsome reputation! And they are in your neck of the woods.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I had a platinum anniversary band sized from a 6 to a 5 for $35. The questions I asked were- will you use platinum to solder & NOT white gold & what if I''m not happy. The price was so reasonable that I was worried they''d use cruddy solder. I had it done 2 years ago & it looks great & polishes beautifully. I''m in the Rocky Mountain area, Lucky me!!!!

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
You went down in size, so of course it was cheaper. They don''t have to add any platinum then.

I actually took my platinum ring in last year to go down in size, and it cost $40. It cost more to go up in size b/c they have to add metal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
how much do you have to resize them?

i took mine into my local jeweler and they did it in 5 minutes and didn''t charge me. basically they just stretched them. i went up 1/4 size...but they could have done up to 1/2 size (i have eternity bands).

they did a great job, if i was super anal i could say maybe that one of the rings is not as PERFECTLY round as before but it''s on my finger 99.999% of the time so who cares, you can''t even see it unless i get my loupe and nitpick...and i was really happy they were so accommodating.

if it''s a small amount of larger it may not be a big deal or take very long. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results