shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie and 3.01 round F SI1 HCA 2.3?

LAWRENCE AHR

Rough_Rock
Hi, Newbie here. Seriously looking at a round brilliant natural 3.01 carat stone, F color SI1, GIA certified, excellent cut per GIA, excellent symmetry and VG polish, medium blue fluro. I ran an HCA which was 2.3 with very goods across the board. Under loop the stone is very clean on table with only small crystals and needles out to the periphery. Price $36,400 for stone. Any thoughts on value at this price and is it a fair price?? Thanks for help

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
Not the kind of diamond you should buy without an in person inspection.

make sure
1. It is eye clean
2. There are no transparency / clarity issues
3. Ideally see it under Idealscope to make sure light leakage is negligible to minimal

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you share the GIA report number or measurements? We can't really help without that info.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Report info since most people don't want to have to look it up. Not really a stone I'd particularly recommend since it's deeper than most people prefer. I would also want to see an HCA of "excellent" across the board, especially without an ASET or IS image. I probably wouldn't buy this one without more info.
Screenshot 2021-03-08 164927.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Because GIA round way too much the crown and pavilion angles - this stone sits on a cusp.
At 62.8% depth it is likely this stone is on the steeper deeper side.
For e.g. if it is 35.7 crown and 40.85 I would not be interested.
The best way to make that judgement is with an Ideal-scope or ASET or an image from one. That will also sort out the symmetry issues since GIA Excellent covers well over half of all diamonds they grade - it is pretty lax. Variation in symmetry when near a cusp like this can result in patches of dull leakage that look bad when the diamond is dirty.

AJ37

Rough_Rock
Not to hijack this post, and certainly this and each diamond need to be seen on a case by case basis, but given the fact that there are fewer diamonds to choose from in over 3 or 5 ct ranges do you open your parameters up at all? For instance, if this diamond ends up with a decent idealscope image is the depth slightly forgiven considering 3ct is a larger look anyway so the necessity for spread becomes less important, especially considering many MRBs have slightly thick girdles which I understand and having not a huge impact on the overall look of the diamond, compared to added weight from angle differences. I look forward to seeing a scope image on this one and thoughts in general from the pros.

LAWRENCE AHR

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help with this. It is a hard decision since diamond to eye looks great.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your help with this. It is a hard decision since diamond to eye looks great.

Hi. I have a Gia E si1 that scores a 3.4 on hca but the ideal scope image turned out to be great! And guess what??? It’s fricken beautiful!! And yes, I’ve seen super ideal bc I’ve had the chance to compare it to my sister’s ACA and I have no regrets. You should see this in person bc the price you are getting for the size and color sounds very promising!

LAWRENCE AHR

Rough_Rock
Thank you Nala for your feedback

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not to hijack this post, and certainly this and each diamond need to be seen on a case by case basis, but given the fact that there are fewer diamonds to choose from in over 3 or 5 ct ranges do you open your parameters up at all? For instance, if this diamond ends up with a decent idealscope image is the depth slightly forgiven considering 3ct is a larger look anyway so the necessity for spread becomes less important, especially considering many MRBs have slightly thick girdles which I understand and having not a huge impact on the overall look of the diamond, compared to added weight from angle differences. I look forward to seeing a scope image on this one and thoughts in general from the pros.

There is a real shortage of nice SI goods in larger sizes. So yes - I agree.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results